Long war killed Xcom 2 haha

Discussion of our XCOM 2 mods
Lowcorn

Long war killed Xcom 2 haha

Post by Lowcorn »

So i have like 600+ hours played of long war and xcom. I was super excited (and still am to a degree just waiting for the mod community to do some stuff) about Xcom2. After playing for like 15 or so hours i got frustrated about a lot of stuff that is missing from long war.

You have a guaranteed buyer for what ever ya'll make with me.

You guys rock
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Re: Long war killed Xcom 2 haha

Post by Tanalbi »

Honestly, i've gotta confess.

I was SO infatuated with Long War, specially because of my translation job, and when i've heard about XCOM 2, i was like "OMG HYPE HYPE HYPE! TAKE MY MONEY!" and decided to pre-purchase it to support Firaxis Games. I've played it and when i passed it (Gotta say, difficulty was kinda rough, but i've learned A LOT from Long War), and i was like... "Oh, that?"

I surprisingly stopped playing XCOM 2 and "hugged back" Long War, i am currently on my 51st playthrough, you're hard as nails, LW
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
grich117

Post by grich117 »

i am currently on my 51st playthrough
How many of those were wins?
Signatures are a thing? Huh.
gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

I must admit that I actually expected something like this would happen, but it didn't. I love XCOM 2 to bits, just as much as LW, but in a different way.

The thing about XCOM 2 is that it's a very tightly-designed game, very specific, and it's meant to produce a particular kind of very fluid gaming experience.

LW is absolutely fantastic, but that doesn't mean it's a better game in any objective sense, it's just different. I remember thinking this too when I went back to playing XCOM:EU after playing some of the earlier EW:LW. EU is a more streamlined experience, and in some ways actually a better game. In a way, the restrictions and lack of freedom in some areas are part of the game.

LW has more of a simmy feel about it, the Firaxis games are a bit more abstracted; each has its plusses and minuses, and feels quite different to play.

Although I've now got 134 mods in XCOM 2, they're all just cosmetics, QOL and voicepacks, I haven't touched the gameplay one iota, and I haven't felt any need to. It's just so perfect as it is.

But I would look forward to a more "simmy" mod of XCOM 2 as well.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

grich117 wrote:
Just. Only. 1
grich117

Post by grich117 »

Noganeto1 wrote:
grich117 wrote:
Just. Only. 1
Slightly above average number of victories :)
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

grich117 wrote:
Noganeto1 wrote:
grich117 wrote: How many of those were wins?
Just. Only. 1
Slightly above average number of victories :)
Not for me, tho
marceror

Post by marceror »

I have to say that Long War ruined me for XCOM 2. Don't get me wrong, I think the XCOM2 base game is generally superior to the XCOM 1 base game, but the campaign at present just feels like an appetizer. I'm missing the main course.

It's too bad LWS isn't willing/able to give any meaningful hints as to the possibility of a Long War 2. They are acting a lot like a development studio being governed by a publisher, who can't share anything of substance until they have special dispensation from said publisher to do so. That's maybe a good thing, but of course, it might be something else entirely. For all we know there's some legal issue between the two companies right now, and that's what is causing the lack of meaningful input. Or maybe they just haven't given it much serious thought yet, due to other priorities, and simply don't care to share this reality, for whatever reason.

I mean, guys creating mods because they love a game and want to see it improved, they can have "something to announce", generally speaking, as soon as they formally decide to start working on a mod.
Hey guess what Long War fans. We decided 2 hours ago to begin work on Long War 2. We have absolutely no idea how long this will take us; we haven't done any work on it yet, but we have lots of cool ideas that we're tossing around. We'd love to hear your ideas in the meantime. Keep checking this space!

example announcement only
Or even:
We'd really like to do a Long War 2, but at the moment we have too many other priorities to start giving this any serious thought.
Or even still.
Our days of spending countless hours doing development work pro bono are likely behind us. Our focus going forward will be getting paid for the games we make, and this means that a Long War 2 isn't very likely. Sorry. If that ever changes we'll be sure to let you know.
For your average modder, any of the above updates are literally "something to announce". But LWS is inclined to be opaque on this matter, for whatever reason. That said, johnnylump, feel free to copy and paste any of the above into a reply to let us know, in the unlikely event that the issue is that you simply can't be bothered to type this out for yourself. :P

I'm just trying to help here!
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

marceror wrote: That said, johnnylump, feel free to copy and paste any of the above into a reply to let us know, in the unlikely event that the issue is that you simply can't be bothered to type this out for yourself. :P

I'm not johnnylump, but I'll say a few things that might address some of your questions.

1) We are making a go at actual game development, hence forming an LLC and calling it Long War Studios. This means we're going to be working with publishers, and we're trying to not get a bad reputation for leaking stuff.

2) As has been announced, we're still working on mods/free-DLC for XCom 2 (and have been all along) but they are made under contract to 2K/Firaxis, so they get to make some rules through our NDA about when information goes out. I will say that the designs are all ours -- we pitched ideas to 2K/Firaxis, and they accepted them, and have been really good about not trying to force us down a particular design path.

3) We're still (in the background) moving forward on Terra Invicta. We haven't been actively developing it (like in terms of code), but some design work has continued, and we've worked out an arrangement with an art director to work on it with us, which should only make it better, since neither JL nor I are particularly artsy in that way.

4) We both still really want to make Terra Invicta. We decided that the best chance of Terra Invicta actually happening and turning out well was to get more experience in game design, so when 2K/Firaxis offered us the chance to work on XCOM 2, we took it. It's given us a chance to work a bit more with Firaxis, which has been great, and also more experience with the art side of game creation, which wasn't there so much with Long War for Enemy Within.
marceror

Post by marceror »

Amineri wrote:
marceror wrote: That said, johnnylump, feel free to copy and paste any of the above into a reply to let us know, in the unlikely event that the issue is that you simply can't be bothered to type this out for yourself. :P

I'm not johnnylump, but I'll say a few things that might address some of your questions.

1) We are making a go at actual game development, hence forming an LLC and calling it Long War Studios. This means we're going to be working with publishers, and we're trying to not get a bad reputation for leaking stuff.

2) As has been announced, we're still working on mods/free-DLC for XCom 2 (and have been all along) but they are made under contract to 2K/Firaxis, so they get to make some rules through our NDA about when information goes out. I will say that the designs are all ours -- we pitched ideas to 2K/Firaxis, and they accepted them, and have been really good about not trying to force us down a particular design path.

3) We're still (in the background) moving forward on Terra Invicta. We haven't been actively developing it (like in terms of code), but some design work has continued, and we've worked out an arrangement with an art director to work on it with us, which should only make it better, since neither JL nor I are particularly artsy in that way.

4) We both still really want to make Terra Invicta. We decided that the best chance of Terra Invicta actually happening and turning out well was to get more experience in game design, so when 2K/Firaxis offered us the chance to work on XCOM 2, we took it. It's given us a chance to work a bit more with Firaxis, which has been great, and also more experience with the art side of game creation, which wasn't there so much with Long War for Enemy Within.
Like (poor man's like button)
M4TT3R

Post by M4TT3R »

grich117 wrote:
What's a Win? there is a reason Xcom2 Assumes that you lost the first time, that reason is LongWar!
grich117

Post by grich117 »

M4TT3R wrote:
grich117 wrote:
What's a Win? there is a reason Xcom2 Assumes that you lost the first time, that reason is LongWar!
True, very true.
marceror

Post by marceror »

I only played Long War once, but it was long and slow and methodical. It probably lasted as long as 3 or 4 standard run-throughs. And I won! ;)

I had 100 soldiers in my barracks, and each of them had some special significance to me by the end of the campaign. The experience was in all ways epic.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

marceror wrote:It's too bad LWS isn't willing/able to give any meaningful hints as to the possibility of a Long War 2. They are acting a lot like a development studio being governed by a publisher, who can't share anything of substance until they have special dispensation from said publisher to do so. That's maybe a good thing, but of course, it might be something else entirely. For all we know there's some legal issue between the two companies right now, and that's what is causing the lack of meaningful input. Or maybe they just haven't given it much serious thought yet, due to other priorities, and simply don't care to share this reality, for whatever reason.

I mean, guys creating mods because they love a game and want to see it improved, they can have "something to announce", generally speaking, as soon as they formally decide to start working on a mod.
This has actually made me a bit bitter towards LWS rather than given me faith in them. The lack of working directly with other modders, the day one ability of ONLY LWS to have their mods fixed after each patch, just all of it is very disheartening after the experience with them in modding on Enemy Unknown/Within. These are mods we're talking about, not a game or dlc, shouldn't all modders have the same information and benefits available to them? Just seems like a very very poor way to handle a modding community, they've(Firaxis) offered help but really they don't dedicate all that much time to it just make an appearance from time to time.

I will say I have noticed Amineri is very active with the modding community in the areas where modders are asking questions, but there's things that are held back that shouldn't be because of placing an NDA around modding. I hope that LWS moves their focus to their project sometime soon rather than sticking around on mods for XCom 2 for too much longer. Considering responses given though it seems that we won't be seeing a game from LWS for many years, they still have unannounced mods for XCom 2 that has the majority of their focus.
Catarsys

Post by Catarsys »

grich117 wrote:
M4TT3R wrote:
grich117 wrote: How many of those were wins?
True, very true.
WTF, Central? Who the f*ck is Thygan? What a hell this fc*kin fly doing here? Rov-R? Get over! What? Avatar? Advent? :shock: :shock: :shock: ... Well you three, NOW pick me up, and put me back in my diving suit, and bring me back in my capsule in Advent complex, AND GET A F*CK OUTTA HERE AND. LEAVE! ME!! ALONE!!!!