The Need for Speed - Ini Help

For technical discussions and help
R2-Opus2

The Need for Speed - Ini Help

Post by R2-Opus2 »

My understanding of these edits is a bit sketchy. I wish there was a comprehensive listing for this game what some of them are/what they do because with a few its not so clear (especially if a default value is a ratio or has a letter of the alphabet involved).

Correct me if I'm wrong but in the sticky post above it says that if you want to make changes for a campaign, the default location is where to make those changes. However Long War is a total conversion. So what I'm wondering is in what instances would someone need to make ini changes to a Mod versus the Default location? Is the easy answer here if they have a duplicate file that's the same as the Default?

For example, a change I made to Medkit charges seemed to show up when editing the default, but a few didn't with things like training times with the Long War conversion.

I'm trying to learn as I go as much as I can, but I don't know if I'll be ready for a major mod challenge yet. Ini edits seemed to me to be a good place to start.

As for what I want to do, I basically want to see if I can make a kind of one size fits all kind of thing where no matter the mod I'm running, or whether a total conversion - through as many ini tweaks as I can uncover, how to speed my campaigns up because I run into performance problems late game (the biggest area of concern is loading times at mission end). My goal is to experience as much of a mod or conversion as I can while cutting down some of the other tedium - clock pressure, training, research and production times and economy without necessarily turning them off. I do still want it to function as it should, just manage it with values up or down depending on what it is.

So this is for both Default file altering as well as Long War specific I suppose but I'll list off

- I want to include Avatar Clock length as well as pip removal for facilities, story missions and any Breakthrough cards that add or remove pips (to tweak campaign length/have pip removals be appropriate to whatever the clock length is)
- Lower GTS, AWC & Psi training times, same for research and production/excavating

I think I already know the entries for some of them, I just think I might have missed a step or three. For reference, most of the changes I had made were mainly in DefaultGameData.ini so I'm sure I've got a lot to learn about the other files.