ModClassOverrides Madness

For technical discussions and help
you_would_not_believe

ModClassOverrides Madness

Post by you_would_not_believe »

Are these supposed to be explicitly written to ~My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config\XComEngine.ini? Or is the game supposed to read them dynamically from the respective mod's ~Config\XComEngine.ini? From the time I've been messing around trying to understand, I still have no idea.

The only way I can get these overrides written to the main .ini is by enabling Framerate Smoothing. That is the only setting I've observed that will do it, and many users won't touch that, so why is this the trigger for something seemingly important? In addition to this, they seem to be written in the wrong place under [XComGame.XComEngine] and not [Engine.Engine]. Does it matter? I have no idea. When these overrides are explicitly written, some mods stop working whereas they would work before without. So what's the deal?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Re: ModClassOverrides Madness

Post by tracktwo »

I had heard (and I don't have official sources on this) that this behavior changed with one of the early XCOM2 patches. At release it did merge XComEngine.ini into My Games, but this was changed later to only do the merging in-memory at launch time from each mod folder and not write out the results to disk. This was to address problems with mods (updates not being picked up? I can't remember). If it's still writing the results when a particular option is set that sounds like it may be a bug.
you_would_not_believe

Re: ModClassOverrides Madness

Post by you_would_not_believe »

tracktwo wrote:I had heard (and I don't have official sources on this) that this behavior changed with one of the early XCOM2 patches. At release it did merge XComEngine.ini into My Games, but this was changed later to only do the merging in-memory at launch time from each mod folder and not write out the results to disk. This was to address problems with mods (updates not being picked up? I can't remember). If it's still writing the results when a particular option is set that sounds like it may be a bug.
Thank you. If it's of any interest I compared a stock freshly generated .ini to what comes out when Framerate Smoothing is enabled, with absolutely no other changes.

bSmoothFrameRate is already present in [Engine.Engine], but enabling it in the options ignores this and adds a duplicate under [XComGame.XComEngine], along with a big chunk of other unrelated engine stuff from #235-#280 (including any ModClassOverrides into what is ostensibly the wrong position along with it).

https://www.diffchecker.com/1Dc3lIY0