Mod theory crafting

For technical discussions and help
Andor

Mod theory crafting

Post by Andor »

I'm sketching out my first mod.

My goal is less to create perfect balance, than to simply fix some things that bug me. The two classes I'm going to focus on are the Ranger and the Grenadier.

The Ranger needs some love. Of all the current classes, he's the one I really want to love, but who just isn't quite up to snuff. However I don't want to do any major tinkering with the class, or his role, so my plan is to add 2 passive benefits. A +25% chance to hit with swords, and an extra item slot only usable for armour vests. This should help with the melee combat and tanking roles where I think he should be doing better than he is.

Next is the grenadier. There are two goals I'm reaching for here. 1) It bugs me that one poor shmoe has to hump both heavy weapons. That's absurd, so I'm going to split the class into two, one for each weapon, which brings me to my second point. 2) It bugs me to have to shell out for so many weapon upgrades, and have so few characters able to use each one. So with that in mind I plan to create a Grenadier who uses a rifle/shotgun as primary with the grenade launcher as a secondary, and a Gunner who uses the cannon as a primary and a pistol as the secondary. To justify that I will make cannons function only on the first shot, like a sniper rifle, but add something to compensate for that.

My initial thoughts are to stay mostly within the existing perks when filling out the trees.

The existing Grenadier Tree is
Starting Perk: Launch Grenade
  • *Demolitions Expert/ Heavy Gunner
  • *Blast Padding (1 armour, 66% explosive mitigation)/ Shredder (Shred 1 armour * tl)
  • *Demolition (Shoot up Cover) / Suppression
  • *Heavy Ordnance (Extra charge in grenade slot)/ Holotargeting
  • *Volatile Mix (+1 radius +2 damage to grenades)/ Chain Shot (-15% shot, second if 1st hits.)
  • *Salvo (Firing grenade no longer ends turn) / Hail of Bullets (Will hit shot, eats ammo)
  • *Saturation Fire (Shoots up cone) / Rupture (Punches holes in things)
New Grenadier Tree:
Starting Perk: Launch Grenade
  • Demolitions Expert / Rifleman
  • Duck and Cover (Deep Cover) / Rapid Fire
  • Heavy Ordnance / Aim
  • Smoke Charges (1 use of smoke grenades outside of items selected, if smoke grenade is taken +1 charge) / Ambush (Shadowstrike)
  • Volatile Mix / Steady Hands
  • Salvo / Deadeye
  • Shock and Awe (1 use of flash bang grenades outside of items selected, if flash bang is taken +1 charge) / Rupture
New Gunner Tree:
Starting Perk: Bandolier (Free item slot, only for ammo items)
  • Heavy Fire Support / Pistolero
  • Shredder / Close Quarters Combat (Bladestorm with Pistol)
  • Suppression / Lightning Hands
  • Demolition / Double Tap (Fire twice at target, 2 turn cool down)
  • Covering Fire / Face off
  • Guardian / Mark Target (Holotargeting)
  • Quick Set Up (Ever Vigilant) / Vitals Shot (Rupture)
Hmmm. I probably will end up having to make some new perks, I'm not sure those trees are quite coherant. Some of the perks are modifications of exsiting perks. For the gunners compensation for having a fire or move primary I'm torn between giving a flat +1 damage (* TL) or adding 2 points out automatic armour pen.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome. Things I am looking for: Did I make good use of existing perks? Am I trying to hard not to make new ones? (And where?) And are there interesting decisions at each point in the tree? Multiple good builds?