[Mod Request] "Medals Mechanic"

For requests, ideas and general mod talk
Armoneca

[Mod Request] "Medals Mechanic"

Post by Armoneca »

The medals mechanic in EW was an awesome addition. I'm surprised and disappointed that it wasn't included in the sequel.

If any developers or talented modders reading this feel the same way, then please, feel free to make a mod based or inspired from my ideas; They're not doing anyone any good just sitting in my head or on paper.

~ MEDALS 2.0~

CONCEPT:

Revamped Medals mechanic from XCOM: EW. Awarding medals to soldiers may grant them new perks, or strengthen existing ones. Like in the previous game, Medals are difficult and time consuming to obtain, and are extremely finite in quantity.

Each Medal can be unlocked after reaching appropriate milestones. Some milestones may take many hours or even multiple play-throughs to reach. Medals are meant to be awarded to the player’s favorite soldiers/exemplary veterans.

This mod would involve creating/using a record keeping system for logging all significant actions needed to meet the milestone requirements. The Medals would also need to be designed as account-related items, accessible in each playthrough like the DLC content.

INTENDED PURPOSE:

- Grants exclusive perks, or enhances existing abilities of XCOM’s most worthy soldiers.

- Enhances existing perks. For example: “Prized Phantom” could add reduced enemy detection radii to those who possess the PHANTOM perk. This could lead to transforming underrated perks into viable options, or spicing up classic abilities into something new.

- Medals only affect Class specific perks. In other words, Core Class Abilities; none of the ones gained through technology.

- Increase replay value and provide rewards for players that sink countless hours in XCOM.

- Allows players to create and have an even wider variety of capable soldiers.

- There are only so many medals in the game, so only a limited number of soldiers in the entire army will have access to these boosted abilities.

POTENTIAL ISSUES:

- Could make a few or several units overpowered, depending on how many medals are available, and how many an individual soldier can receive.

- Some Milestone prerequisites may prove to be too difficult for casual players.