What do the Haven's actually represent - more of a roleplaying question

marceror

What do the Haven's actually represent - more of a roleplaying question

Post by marceror »

I've been looking at Long War 2 for a bit as I worked to complete my vanilla legendary campaign. Since I wrapped that up last night, I started LW2 today, and a huge thanks to Pavonis/Long War Studios for what looks to be an amazing sequel!!!

My question is perhaps silly, but I'd like to understand the intent of the Havens. Is the Haven a single place, and the resistance recruits in those Havens are all prominent residents of that location? Or, is each person in the Haven a leader of a separate resistance location somewhere in that geographical region? Or, something else?

I mean, I can surely come up with my own explanation for this, but I was wondering what the official, or even "accepted" interpretation for the havens is. These seem pretty fundamental to Long War 2, and since entire continents have only a handful of Haven among them, it seems like there are likely going to be multiple resistance settlements across the entirety of the Eastern US, for example.

At any rate, the additional level of visibility on the resistance seems like it should add another welcome level of immersion to the game. Looking forward to progressing through the game.
Manifest

Re: What do the Haven's actually represent - more of a roleplaying question

Post by Manifest »

marceror wrote:I've been looking at Long War 2 for a bit as I worked to complete my vanilla legendary campaign. Since I wrapped that up last night, I started LW2 today, and a huge thanks to Pavonis/Long War Studios for what looks to be an amazing sequel!!!

My question is perhaps silly, but I'd like to understand the intent of the Havens. Is the Haven a single place, and the resistance recruits in those Havens are all prominent residents of that location? Or, is each person in the Haven a leader of a separate resistance location somewhere in that geographical region? Or, something else?

I mean, I can surely come up with my own explanation for this, but I was wondering what the official, or even "accepted" interpretation for the havens is. These seem pretty fundamental to Long War 2, and since entire continents have only a handful of Haven among them, it seems like there are likely going to be multiple resistance settlements across the entirety of the Eastern US, for example.

At any rate, the additional level of visibility on the resistance seems like it should add another welcome level of immersion to the game. Looking forward to progressing through the game.

The resistance's base of operations in an area. There'd be more realistically, but they're scaled up to one for each region.
marceror

Post by marceror »

Makes sense. So essentially we are dealing with the "heart" of the resistance in the area, while there are likely several other smaller havens that fly below the radar a bit more. Presumably there are operations happening there a well, but probably less intense than those of the primary area HQ, and not front and center for XCOM operations.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

I don't think there is an official word on what exactly a haven is from a lore PoV.

I think of the resistance as plenty of small cells, in and out of the cities. This becomes apparent when you need to rescue some of those operating inside cities and free them. People you free from jail will go inside the Avenger or to a Haven. I thus consider havens to be a refuge for those that had to flee cities.

It's likely there are much more havens in every region but you are dealing with one in particular that also happens to be where the most prominent rebels are located. Some havens might simply be houses for people trying to live outside of Advent's control, but not brave/foolish enough to actively engage in resistance operations. I would also expect some "havens" to be bases of more anarchic groups or even plain bandits ... who might eventually be recruited into the resistance.

XCom in it's current state can't directly control all of the resistance operations going in. Your 6 "intel" rebels are certainly not doing all the investigations themselves. So yes, you are actually in contact with the local leaders or "heart" of the resistance for a region and those men and women are in contact with multiple "average Joe" in every city and slum districts who are the unsung heroes of the resistance. Eventually some of them will, in time, decide to take a more active role and become an active rebel in one of the havens, or join your recruit pool.
PerkPrincess

Post by PerkPrincess »

If you do Haven Missions in Vanilla, the crew will make various comments on the different set pieces in a Haven.

Off the top of my head:
  • Training/Obstacle courses. Lots of athletic equipment, range targets, climbing walls.
  • Basic Irrigation and farming set ups.
  • Raido and broadcasting equipment.
On top of that, you have plenty of shanty shacks, trailers.

Havens look to be essentially hives for the Resistence, meant to be a long term settlement that probably cordinates all the cells in a region. The fact they have plots set up tells us they basically intend to be staying there for over a year, and are looking to be self suffecient. Which makes sense, since supplying themselves with stolen gear/food would only give ADVENT a clear lead to the location of the haven.