Question about pod mechanics.

josna238

Re: Question about pod mechanics.

Post by josna238 »

Tuhalu wrote: Each chance is contingent on the last one succeeding. You only get to roll for the 2nd if the 1st succeeded. So on Veteran:
1 is 20%
2 is 0.2*0.15= 3%
3 is 0.2*0.15*0.1 = 0.3%
4 is 0.2*0.15*0.1*0.05 = 0.015%
5 = no chance.

The amount the chance to take an action will drop after each success in a pod. The count is reset
; for each pod that activates within a single turn.
But is not forced to be the first and the second units, could be in any order. I think that getting 2 actions have 10 possibilites meaning 1=action and 0=no action:

For example the first possibility (11000) is 0.2*0.15*0.9*0.9*0.9 =2.2% and the nineth (00101) is 0.8*0.8*0.2*0.85*0.15=1.6%. Being the probability of get exactly 2 actions the sum of the ten posibilities. Maybe I did bad the sum but I think won't be a great difference from what I wrote before.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Another two more questions:

1.- What kind of actions can the aliens take in ther opportunistc action? I mean we know they can shoot, overwatch and hunker, but it will be terrible if they could launch a rocket or a poison cloud.

2.- When a patroling pod breaks my concealment, do they have full actions like a red pod, oportunistic actions like yellow pod or simply get positions like green pod?
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

josna238 wrote: 1.- What kind of actions can the aliens take in ther opportunistc action? I mean we know they can shoot, overwatch and hunker, but it will be terrible if they could launch a rocket or a poison cloud.
AFAIK they can suppress or area suppress! but can't launch a grenade or poison. A more definitive answer would require some ini digging which i might do at some point :geek:
2.- When a patroling pod breaks my concealment, do they have full actions like a red pod, oportunistic actions like yellow pod or simply get positions like green pod?
Exactly the same as any pod of their current status : if they are yellow they take yellow actions, if they are green they take green actions and if they are already red (due to some unusual situations like regaining squad concealment after activating a pod from a hacking reward) they can do whatever they want.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

josna238 wrote:Another two more questions:

1.- What kind of actions can the aliens take in ther opportunistc action? I mean we know they can shoot, overwatch and hunker, but it will be terrible if they could launch a rocket or a poison cloud.

Patrolling pods can't have red actions. That's a contradiction in terms of their game state. Either they are patrolling or they are in combat.

Undamaged Yellow Alert enemies can: StandardShot, Overwatch, SniperStandardFire, SniperRifleOverwatch, LightEmUp, HunkerDown, Suppression, Suppression_LW, AreaSuppression, Mindspin, WarCry, MarkTarget, EnergyShield, EnergyShieldMk3, BlazingPinionsStage1, DevastatingPunch, ChryssalidSlash, Teleport, ScythingClaws, PsiReanimation, AnimaInversion, LWDroneShock, LWDroneRepair, LWDroneMeleeStun, MassReanimation_LW, PersonalShield.

Green Alert enemies (and damaged Yellow Alert enemies) can: Overwatch, SniperRifleOverwatch, HunkerDown, WarCry, EnergyShield, EnergyShieldMk3, LWDroneRepair, PersonalShield, Suppression, Suppression_LW, AreaSuppression.

All these abilities only apply to enemies that actually have them.
Last edited by Tuhalu on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Tuhalu wrote:
josna238 wrote: Undamaged Yellow Alert enemies can: StandardShot, Overwatch, SniperStandardFire, SniperRifleOverwatch, LightEmUp, HunkerDown, Suppression, Suppression_LW, AreaSuppression, Mindspin, WarCry, MarkTarget, EnergyShield, EnergyShieldMk3, BlazingPinionsStage1, DevastatingPunch, ChryssalidSlash, Teleport, ScythingClaws, PsiReanimation, AnimaInversion, LWDroneShock, LWDroneRepair, LWDroneMeleeStun, MassReanimation_LW, PersonalShield, StandardMove.

Green Alert enemies (and damaged Yellow Alert enemies) can: Overwatch, SniperRifleOverwatch, HunkerDown, WarCry, EnergyShield, EnergyShieldMk3, LWDroneRepair, PersonalShield, Suppression, Suppression_LW, AreaSuppression, PsiReanimation, AnimaInversion, MassReanimation_LW

All these abilities only apply to enemies that actually have them.
Some of those abilities are actually commented out in the .ini, for instance the Gatekeeper's Anima Inversion (their big damaging AoE) can not be used as a green alert reaction, unless they decided to allow that since last I checked. That and the two psi reanimation abilities are the only wrong ones though, I think.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

fowlJ wrote: Some of those abilities are actually commented out in the .ini, for instance the Gatekeeper's Anima Inversion (their big damaging AoE) can not be used as a green alert reaction, unless they decided to allow that since last I checked. That and the two psi reanimation abilities are the only wrong ones though, I think.
You are correct. I shall edit.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

I think that I have just learnt one lesson in the hard way but I expect somebody could clarify me.

When we launch an EVAC flare do all the pods turn into red alert? I mean because I tried to call skyranger and suddenly all the map (something like 16 aliens appeared on the same turn and (during the alien turn) launched shots and 2 area supresions. Rockets and Whipe out on the next turn.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

josna238 wrote:When we launch an EVAC flare do all the pods turn into red alert?
If you hadn't broken concealment before throwing the evac flare, it will break then. If any of your now unconcealed troops are in sight of enemy, those enemy pods will active, doing either green alert or yellow alert actions.

Whether by throwing the evac flare or attacking, you want to make sure all your troops are where you want them and you've set up any overwatches you want set before breaking concealment. And ideally either no pods can see you for evac flare or only the pod you're attacking.
trihero

Post by trihero »

When we launch an EVAC flare do all the pods turn into red alert? I mean because I tried to call skyranger and suddenly all the map (something like 16 aliens appeared on the same turn and (during the alien turn) launched shots and 2 area supresions. Rockets and Whipe out on the next turn.
No, an evac flare alone doesn't put them into yellow or red alert. If you were in vision of an enemy when you launched the flare than the loss of concealment puts them on red alert. They could also be on yellow alert for many reasons like seeing bodies, hearing fire/you hacking the objective.

But again the answer you are looking for is No, an evac flare alone doesn't put them on alert. If you put an evac flare when you are not in sight of anyone and you never made any noises, then it should be impossible for them to be on alert. Maybe one exception is certain missions they are already on yellow alert to begin with (retaliation missions).
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Thanks for answers.

It was a supply raid mission with low infiltration and I launched the flare after clearing the first pod with the idea of have the EVAC prepared before engage the rest. And two turns after that the entire map appeared on the same turn taking actions. And blowing my squad on the last turn of the EVAC waiting.

According your answers I guess the 2 area suppresions plus the shots were the normal oportunistic actions of yellow pods.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

josna238 wrote:It was a supply raid mission with low infiltration and I launched the flare after clearing the first pod with the idea of have the EVAC prepared before engage the rest
I don't think you made things worse by throwing the evac flare in that battle. I think the enemy pods were put on yellow alert by either hearing the noise of the firefight or seeing the dead bodies. Then they stumbled across your squad and went red alert.

Normally, if you have a soldier in range of where you want to put the evac, once revealed you should throw the evac flare right away to get it open soonest to be there in case you need it

I learned the hard way you have to keep fighting even when you've killed the pod in front of you. Keep moving cover to cover. Set up a defensive position. Get everyone reloaded. Shift the squad's position (scouting with a Shinobi if there's one still concealed) if you need to. If you've killed the last pod and it's a mission you have to evac from, reinforcements could drop before you evac. And they will drop close too.
trihero

Post by trihero »

It was a supply raid mission with low infiltration and I launched the flare after clearing the first pod with the idea of have the EVAC prepared before engage the rest. And two turns after that the entire map appeared on the same turn taking actions. And blowing my squad on the last turn of the EVAC waiting.

According your answers I guess the 2 area suppresions plus the shots were the normal oportunistic actions of yellow pods.
If you were doing low % infiltration and killed a pod already, then the other ones most likely saw the corpses and/or heard your gunfire when they came so yes it sounds like yellow alert.