game ranks soldiers different from top to bottom

Jackal

game ranks soldiers different from top to bottom

Post by Jackal »

not complaining, btw, because i am SO appreciative of all the help you guys are willing to offer, but no commented on how the rank parsing changes when you sort from top to bottom instead of opposite to top:

i should just be the opposite order, but it isn't

that doesn't make sense to me... please try it in your games.

thanks again

this are my highest soldiers, Calvin, Noah, Holly ranking high to low starting at the top (see arrow facing down at top left of screen in picture)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjcwiacxr71d4 ... p.rtf?dl=0

this is the highest soldiers, Noah, Calvin, Lisa, ranking high to low, starting from the bottom (see arrow facing up at top left of screen)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0s3n9jb9tkmy ... M.rtf?dl=0
LordYanaek

Re: game ranks soldiers different from top to bottom

Post by LordYanaek »

It will probably not help you to ask the same question in an existing thread and open a new. If you already asked in one place and then realize you'd like to make it a new thread, if nobody have answered your first post you can delete it. With the same question asked in various places you'll get answers spread around as many places.

To answer your question, it might be a case of all 3 soldiers having the same "experience points" (ranks are just your usual "levels"). In this case i'd bet the engine defaults to sorting them by soldier ID (a hidden number depending on who got recruited first) in both views. In short : if they have the same XP, whoever came first will be on top of the group in both views.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

LordYanaek wrote:It will probably not help you to ask the same question in an existing thread and open a new. If you already asked in one place and then realize you'd like to make it a new thread, if nobody have answered your first post you can delete it. With the same question asked in various places you'll get answers spread around as many places.

To answer your question, it might be a case of all 3 soldiers having the same "experience points" (ranks are just your usual "levels"). In this case i'd bet the engine defaults to sorting them by soldier ID (a hidden number depending on who got recruited first) in both views. In short : if they have the same XP, whoever came first will be on top of the group in both views.

If you say so, i won't do it anymore, but I considered the two questions to be very different. This is your page and I greatly appreciate all the help and advice offered her. Thanks for this answer. So, when i'm trying to decide i can look at ranking and, if all of them have the same experience points, i can chose the one who also had the highest officer ranking for haven management purposes.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Hey, first it's not my page in any way, it's Pavonis' forum :) I'm just a normal user that happens to have a large number of not always useful posts on his posts counter ;) I have no official role on those boards.

Concerning that remark on multiple posts. Sorry i didn't want to police your behavior (i'm no ADVENT peacekeeper). I agree that the 2 questions were different, but they were also related. Some people prefer limiting the number of threads and ask lots of questions in a single thread, others prefer to open plenty of threads. Some forums try to enforce one behavior or another but i don't think there is a rule here.

However, close to 20 years of experience with forums showed me that posting in multiple places or opening several threads about the same subject is usually frowned upon because it makes the entire discussion hard to follow for you, people trying to help you and other users simply interested by the same subject. It was just friendly advice, sorry if it didn't sound like one (and i should have used the private message) :oops:
Jackal wrote:So, when i'm trying to decide i can look at ranking and, if all of them have the same experience points, i can chose the one who also had the highest officer ranking for haven management purposes.
Yes. Officers listed beside normal soldiers indicates they have the same normal rank or as i called it "level". It's an indirect way of knowing the base rank of an officer without opening the armory screen.
Choosing the highest ranking officer for haven management is a personal choice. I don't suggest to do it blindly on every haven but it will hep detect faceless. Other considerations to keep in mind are soldier class (some classes make better advisors, but again it depends on how you use them in missions) and whether or not you might need that officer to lead an actual squad.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

LordYanaek wrote:Hey, first it's not my page in any way, it's Pavonis' forum :) I'm just a normal user that happens to have a large number of not always useful posts on his posts counter ;) I have no official role on those boards.

Concerning that remark on multiple posts. Sorry i didn't want to police your behavior (i'm no ADVENT peacekeeper). I agree that the 2 questions were different, but they were also related. Some people prefer limiting the number of threads and ask lots of questions in a single thread, others prefer to open plenty of threads. Some forums try to enforce one behavior or another but i don't think there is a rule here.

However, close to 20 years of experience with forums showed me that posting in multiple places or opening several threads about the same subject is usually frowned upon because it makes the entire discussion hard to follow for you, people trying to help you and other users simply interested by the same subject. It was just friendly advice, sorry if it didn't sound like one (and i should have used the private message) :oops:
Jackal wrote:So, when i'm trying to decide i can look at ranking and, if all of them have the same experience points, i can chose the one who also had the highest officer ranking for haven management purposes.
Yes. Officers listed beside normal soldiers indicates they have the same normal rank or as i called it "level". It's an indirect way of knowing the base rank of an officer without opening the armory screen.
Choosing the highest ranking officer for haven management is a personal choice. I don't suggest to do it blindly on every haven but it will hep detect faceless. Other considerations to keep in mind are soldier class (some classes make better advisors, but again it depends on how you use them in missions) and whether or not you might need that officer to lead an actual squad.

No worries, mate. I only meant that you were "here first." No need for an apology. Plus, you have helped me immensely, so I owe you :)

I agree on not just putting officers in hurlyburly. For instance, one of my havens is swimming in advent and I don't know if i'll be able to prevent an all out retaliation. i have an expendeble Assault officer in there in case it's a mission I don't think i can win.

thanks, again, as always,

about to try my first realy HQ mission (i ran one before, but with weaker soldiers and lets equip .. a while ago, just to see what's what.. Sadly it's still swarming, even though I took out the radio tower with Advent only at 2 :( Wish me luck.. i've got much better soldiers and equipment this time.

trying to decide if i should waste 25 intell to bring swarming down to Extremely Heavy