Need help on avenger defense

llll BlackFlag

Need help on avenger defense

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Sadly my campaign came to an end yesterday during an avenger defense. I thought that when the mission popped I would be able to pull out my haven advisers and troops from GTS/AWC, but boy was I wrong. I was in the middle of collecting my first 350 supply drop after liberation when the mission popped, so I didn't have enough money to equip my troops. They got demolished in several turns by 7 advanced mecs, a sectoid commander, and a rainbow of advent. This is late July while I'm researching coil guns - honestly even with fully equipped mag weapons and exo suits I'm not sure I would have been able to complete the mission.

Do you generally have to keep a full squad of outfitted soldiers at home for the entire month that the UFO hunts you? It just seems super debilitating to not be able to send your best troops on missions, making this the strongest dark event in the game. Is building the turrets a big advantage?
Dwarfling

Re: Need help on avenger defense

Post by Dwarfling »

I think there's a minimum amount of days that must pass between the DE event activating and then actually happening. I use 8d min and after those pass I keep around a team that can tackle the mission until it happens (or doesn't)
faket15

Post by faket15 »

The UFO never intercepts after less than 6 days and the maximum duration is only 14 days. On average you only need to keep the squad ready for 4 days and even in the worst case scenario you only need it for 8 days.
llll BlackFlag

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Thank you that is a huge help. I'll keep that in mind for my next campaign
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Supposedly there is a pull from training button somewhere for avenger defence. You can also use wounded soldiers.

The turrets are nice. Thet shoot twice a turn and hit fairly hard. Aim is not great but good against MECs. They also draw enemy fire.

But even with turrets you need a proper squad with proper gear available. You can't always get LoS on the beacon from the avenger, so you need soldiers that can push forward. But carefully!

There will be a lot of enemies and multiple activations are pretty much unavoidable. AoE is essential - both damage and CC.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Just reload earlier save. Pull out team - play the game.
No need to start new game over this. Learn from playing not from repeating
The Preacher
The13Inquisitor

Post by The13Inquisitor »

Well, good to know how this campaign ender works.

I've currently got a UFO up my backside in October (Second of the Campaign) and when I actually did the mission, I wound up with the Berserker Queen camping the relay after my Stalker got revealed due to an errant reveal square.

Been too salty to actually do the mission since but now I have a timeframe for this, I think it might be time to do a little save scumming and prepare properly.

A Gatekeeper was pushing it on that mission. The Berserker Queen showing up means all bets are off.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

It is not save scumming if you hit the wall. It is learning curve
The Preacher
The13Inquisitor

Post by The13Inquisitor »

SonnyWiFiHr wrote:It is not save scumming if you hit the wall. It is learning curve
Well, it kind of is when the game parks the disruptor behind terrain so your snipers can't shoot the damn thing. Or behind a car. Or just goes lol nope. No line of sight this turn.

I beat it. Had a really interesting bug with Kubikiri and now have an Invasion to deal with but I did it.