Long War 2 feature announce: Coil weapons

johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Long War 2 feature announce: Coil weapons

Post by johnnylump »

@ Musashi -- Can you PM or email me when you get a chance? Something I want to ask you about.

Can't get into secondaries today.

No new Hunter's-type weapons in the mod.
CosmicKoR

Post by CosmicKoR »

Hi everyone. I have noticed in the screenshots from the official site that magnetic weapon have sleeves. It's normal :?
Gallion

Post by Gallion »

Individual weapons (and maybe maybe not armour) has the potential to add a lot of extra busywork if you rotate squads a lot. Do you guys have any plans for auto equipping mechanics or some other way of mitigating this?
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Gallion wrote:Individual weapons (and maybe maybe not armour) has the potential to add a lot of extra busywork if you rotate squads a lot.
More so than weapon mods do?
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

Gallion wrote:Individual weapons (and maybe maybe not armour) has the potential to add a lot of extra busywork if you rotate squads a lot. Do you guys have any plans for auto equipping mechanics or some other way of mitigating this?
Maybe not.
With the "Clear weapons" button, you can unequit your favorite Sniper Rifle from onr sharpshooter to an other.

It won't change a lot of things. I do all my campaigns with a low number of weapons (named Shinobi One, Sniper One, Support One...). 7 weapons all in all, I swap them with every squad change.
And upgrade the 3 shotguns I use during all my playthrough, one by one instead of in a squad upgrade, it's really a minor adjustment too.
Krylos

Post by Krylos »

Well yes, but the thing is you need to do it with armor, too. And if you forget a weapon in vanilla, you're only missing out on a few minor upgrades, in LW2, you'd basically have a useless soldier if he keeps the ballistic weapon.

I guess we'll have to get used to it or hope someone makes a mod to help, if they didn't implement that themselves.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

My biggest question, will coil guns be viable end-game? As viable as Plasma that is? One of the issues I have with Vanilla XCOM is that only Beam is viable in end game.
Krylos

Post by Krylos »

Do all weapon tiers follow standard XCOM 2 procedure? That is to say
research in labs using generic materials => build in engineering using generic materials
Or is there a special research / build requirement for certain weapons like the plasma weapons in EW LW that needed a captured alien weapon?
I guess a more outlandish question is this: Is there special unlock requirements for certain weapon tier, like say you have to raid an advent weapon factory to gain insight on how to produce advanced magnetic weapons, unlocking coil guns?
Gallion

Post by Gallion »

mattprice516 wrote:
Gallion wrote:Individual weapons (and maybe maybe not armour) has the potential to add a lot of extra busywork if you rotate squads a lot.
More so than weapon mods do?
I guess not a lot. I'm just making the assumption that regular cycling through a large roster will be an important LW2 mechanic so it'll come up a lot more than in vanilla.
LordCommander

Post by LordCommander »

Dear Johnny

A little off topic, but do you think that you could add the additional tiers and other such for DLCs after LW 2? I really like the out of cover option that sparks provide (Although if you are bringing SHIVS back...) and I think that me and many others would like to see that possibility. Although I do understand that you would be doing a tone more work and my request would delay your work on TI as well as your hard earned rest. If not, I hope that the rest of the modding community will provide on the additional DLC tiers for your best mod yet.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

LordCommander wrote: A little off topic, but do you think that you could add the additional tiers and other such for DLCs after LW 2?
Unless I completely misunderstood what "DLC elements are adjusted to fit in with the scope of the mod for those who have them. " (part of JL's response to my question about mod compatibility) meant, SPARKs will be partially compatible with LW2 out of the box - the extra weapon tiers (and maybe any potential extra armour tiers) are all (maybe, I have no personal info on the mod, to be clear) that will be missing.

I assume that (minus art assets, of course) any 'missing' content will probably not be that hard to tack on - in fact, given the option to use assets from other mods (something Pavonis can't do for legal reasons), I think there's enough SPARK mods on the workshop to integrate such items relatively seamlessly with (admittedly slightly unfitting) custom models et al.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Basically it's a matter of resources and time -- we only had so much budget for art assets and we directed it toward stuff that would be accessible to everyone. The design certainly has space for laser- and coil-tier Spark primaries, but our art team needs to eat. So this is where I point you to Capnbubs' Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/capnbubs.
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

Were you able to add tiers of weapons to the Spark and to other DLC that just use the same models? That wouldn't bother me one bit. It's nice to have custom graphics but the gameplay is what matters.
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

johnnylump wrote:but our art team needs to eat
Are you sure you chose the right work :D ?
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

I currently use a mod which has variants of the existing Plasma tier weapons as I prefer the mod's looks (vanilla plasma looks too polished I think, the Mercenary Plasma Weapons mod makes them look more rough around the edges). Do you know if this sort of mod will remain compatible or will the re-ordering of the weapon tiers break it? I'd like to assume it won't change as adding the LW Laser Pack doesn't alter it, but I'd like to make sure.
Yzaxtol

Post by Yzaxtol »

Wow, these new guns look amazing..... and a perfect fit.

I can't wait to stea.... 'play' with these guns. :D
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

Yzaxtol wrote:I can't wait to stea....
"Steady Weapon" some coil sniper rifles? :)
By the way, will it make a return? It was really nice sometimes to have a preparation move available.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Were you able to add tiers of weapons to the Spark and to other DLC that just use the same models? That wouldn't bother me one bit. It's nice to have custom graphics but the gameplay is what matters.
That's technically possible, yes, but it's funny, now that we've gone pro I feel like we should avoid stuff like that. Weird, I know -- it's the kind of thing we'd do in a heartbeat back in the LW/EW days. Easy enough for someone else to mod in; if I get time I can see about creating the templates so it'd be super-easy to do.
Musashi

Post by Musashi »

Cloista wrote:Do you know if this sort of mod will remain compatible or will the re-ordering of the weapon tiers break it?
It will most likely break because the new LW2 plasma tier will have different templates than the vanilla plasma tier.
But rest assured that i will make a compatibility mod for the mercenary plasma weapons if nobody else will do it first, since i do like them too as a visual replacement.
Badman_bacon777

Post by Badman_bacon777 »

johnnylump wrote:
That's technically possible, yes, but it's funny, now that we've gone pro I feel like we should avoid stuff like that. Weird, I know -- it's the kind of thing we'd do in a heartbeat back in the LW/EW days. Easy enough for someone else to mod in; if I get time I can see about creating the templates so it'd be super-easy to do.
Of course I haven't played the mod, but I would assume no DLC weapons on tiers two and four would nullify their effectiveness.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Valaska wrote:My biggest question, will coil guns be viable end-game? As viable as Plasma that is? One of the issues I have with Vanilla XCOM is that only Beam is viable in end game.
Yes.
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

I actually like the idea of the DLC weapons being on what is fundamentally a different progression cycle, it means they won't always be automatic picks, narrowing down the use of other gear, and it also makes when you do get their upgrades more special.
Badman_bacon777

Post by Badman_bacon777 »

Cloista wrote:I actually like the idea of the DLC weapons being on what is fundamentally a different progression cycle, it means they won't always be automatic picks, narrowing down the use of other gear, and it also makes when you do get their upgrades more special.
I certainly see your point, however it should be achieved to try to avoid inconsistency during gameplay. One approach shouldn't be inferior depending on progress.
ZaWarudoWRYYY

Post by ZaWarudoWRYYY »

seen a lot of those who disagree with your weapons tiers order

so mb, you could cooperate with the author of this mod?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =707548632

with that everyone can do as he likes

I would like to use your beautiful coil tier instead of water pistol looking vanilla plasma tier

PS sorry for my Google Translate
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Badman_bacon777 wrote:
johnnylump wrote:
Of course I haven't played the mod, but I would assume no DLC weapons on tiers two and four would nullify their effectiveness.
I'll just say that I haven't found that to be the case in my LW2 campaigns. Do people who use the LW Laser Weapons right now find the DLC weapons to be useless? YMMV of course but I wouldn't personally worry too much about it.

In any case - I have no doubt that someone will create DLC weapons for the other weapon tiers shortly after LW2 comes out, models or no models. :)