LW 2 - Linux & Mac

TheSprtCz

LW 2 - Linux & Mac

Post by TheSprtCz »

Hi, I would like to ask if Linux and Mac versions are planned and if so how high they are on your list of priorities.
Drenn

Re: LW 2 - Linux & Mac

Post by Drenn »

I've heard a report of it working on Linux. It could be that it's just entirely untested? I'd appreciate if someone could clarify what "unsupported" means.

Edit: my experience so far is that you can get into the 1st mission, but it hangs when trying to load a savegame.
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

For me, it crashes after the first mission. (Only tried it twice.)
Drenn

Post by Drenn »

I've had more luck after copying xcomgame.upk and xcomgame.upk.uncompressed_size from the long war mod folder to the main game's folder, as suggested on reddit. Saves are working and I'm past the 1st mission.

The mod's versions of those files should be at "~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase/268500_lowered/844674609/cookedpcconsole".

Relative to xcom 2's installed directory, they get put into the folder "share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole". The original files should be backed up, naturally.

Of course, I'm sure it can still crash at any moment. =P
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

Drenn wrote:I've had more luck after copying xcomgame.upk and xcomgame.upk.uncompressed_size from the long war mod folder to the main game's folder, as suggested on reddit. Saves are working and I'm past the 1st mission.

The mod's versions of those files should be at "~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase/268500_lowered/844674609/cookedpcconsole".

Relative to xcom 2's installed directory, they get put into the folder "share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole". The original files should be backed up, naturally.
Did all this, got past the first mission, ran into more problems, deleted all the ini files as per the troubleshooting instructions on steam workshop, and now it seems to be working nicely. Thanks.
Ephf2017

Post by Ephf2017 »

Hi guys

I've been trying to figure out if this is even in the works?

I found some work around threads for the original long war on mac, I definitely played the last iteration on osx perfectly well, will these same workarounds work now?!

If I was to purchase a mac version of xcom2 what are my options/odds of getting long war 2 running?

Are there plans for an official port?

Is this being packaged as dlc for consoles? Seems like a no brainer. Would pay for it gladly on ps4.
jith_feral

Post by jith_feral »

Hi, Jith from Feral Interactive here. I can confirm that we're working on a patch for the Mac and Linux versions of XCOM 2, to ensure the Long War 2 mod works without you having to poke around in the files yourself.

We'll be sure to let you know when the patch is ready via the Feral Interactive website, which ought to be fairly soon!
I work for Feral Interactive, who brought XCOM 2 to Mac and Linux.
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

Being impatient, I did the following to get it going on Mac:
1. Removed all other mods (except Evac all)
2. Regenerated the .ini files
3. Reverified back to source using steam
4. Copied the XComGame.upk and XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size files from the mod folder to the /Library/Application Support/Steamapps/common/XCom 2/XCOM2Data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole folder

Gatecrasher works, Black market works, save games work and everything looks fine except when I go to the geoscape, there is no UI block to access the HQ and scan forward.

[Edit: Another .ini flush and recopy of the .upk files and this bug is gone. Playing missions!]

Good luck, Feral, wish you had a countdown timer! :)
Ephf2017

Post by Ephf2017 »

Great news all round itt!

Can you keep us posted with your progress? Will try this workaround tomorrow eve and report back. Hopefully the official patch isn't too far off!
Drenn

Post by Drenn »

I haven't gotten very far, only into April, but it's been working well enough. Although I've encountered some bugs, I can't say whether they're linux-specific or not. Anyway, they haven't been enough to impede my progress, just little annoyances.

It occasionally hangs while loading savegames. And sometimes when I boot it up, nothing appears on the screen. The second one might be due to a steam update, because it didn't happen at first. Once I'm in-game, though, it seems to work pretty well.

The main thing I'm not sure about is the custom video files, because along with the "xcomgame.upk" issue, it was mentioned that they may not work on Linux/Mac. I'm not sure if I was supposed to run into one of those yet.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

thanks for the update I have been looking at the post for info myself. Mac user, hopefully a patch will be out very very soon I will try the workaround you posted to see how it works out.
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

I've gotten about 7-8 missions in. Some crashes - XCom 2 has never been that stable for me anyway...

My most common way of getting stuck is that when I load a save game, I don't get the loading splash screen. The thrumming music just runs endlessly. I have a feeling the new load screens aren't getting called or rendered. That will probably have to wait for some Feral help, as I don't know what to do about that.
Thojan

Post by Thojan »

Warning: Clearing the ini folder might create missing textures (black icons for soldier's actions on tactical map). Also it prevented me to get back to the avenger from a savegame at the end of a successful mission. Executing again Drenn's workaround with the .upk files solved these two problems. That method allowed me to play this mod in the first place on Mac. Thank you a lot.

Otherwise, the mod runs fine. The loading times might be longer, but XCOM wasn't especially smooth, even in vanilla and with the best macintosh hardware you could get last year.

Well done Pavonis !
snekman

Post by snekman »

Same issue here, with the addition of blank soldier abilities.

Moving the .upk files to steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole does not fix the issue for me. The game still crashes after Gatecrasher, just when the transition to the Avenger starts. I'm able to save the game, though.

Are there any relevant files/logs that would help resolve this issue?
jith_feral

Post by jith_feral »

Hello, just to let y'all know that we're still working on the patch. I'll drop in here and let you know when it's out.
I work for Feral Interactive, who brought XCOM 2 to Mac and Linux.
snekman

Post by snekman »

jith_feral wrote:Hello, just to let y'all know that we're still working on the patch. I'll drop in here and let you know when it's out.
Cheers, Jith. Let us know if you need any beta-testers before release.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

Thanks Jith - it's really neat to hear from the other side of the fence.

Mac issues experienced include CTD after Gatecrasher, even after loading (therefore I'm unable to progress with the campaign), missing UI ability icons (reload, frag grenade and flashbang grenade), blank loading screen, inoperative camera angle (only works at 45 degrees), inoperative quick load (blank screen freeze), regular (from main menu) inoperative load (auto save over the second time onwards freezes on a blank screen, but quick load still works).

Suggestions: allow for frame rate smoothing to start at 1 FPS (why not?); somehow address the .upk issue (see comments); please consider integrating Commander's Choice into LW2; and bring Rouges back!

Other mods to consider as well (essentials - must have):
1. Perfect Information
2. Gotcha (Flank Preview Evolved)
3. Additional Icons
4. Remove Missing Mods (& IgnoreMissingContent - unsure whether they overlap?)
5. Upgrade Reminder
6. Additional Mission Types: LW2 Edition
7. Isky's Big LW2 Name Mod
8. Instant Avenger Menus
9. Stop Wasting My Time (really anything you can do to improve FPS :)
10. True Retroactive AWC
11. EleriumGrounds

Wishlist:
1. BeatdownSkill (tweak its aim increase down from 100% to 10% and base damage from 1 to zero is much more realistic)
2. BlackmarketUsage
3. Choose Continent Bonuses (or otherwise allow for choosing five from a pool - it's so disappointing conquering an useless bonus :(
4. DynamicStatsDevelopment
6. EvacAll
7. FreeCameraRotaion
8. Hack Plus (as in dynamic stats - perhaps overlaps - you want your soldier stats to improve with successes, not only promotions)
9. LifetimeStats
10. MissionTimeRemaining (is this the one that shows hours from 48 down?)
11. Reliable Smoke
12. ShowMeTheSkillsUpdated (feel this is such a neat/easy small UI improvement - why not?)
13. SoldierFatigue - and/or notoriety: this a hard topic; am not too sure
14. SquadCohesion - flipside from the same idea above.... hard discussion
15. SpecOps Combat Knives
16. SteadyWeapon (really, this is such a basic ability for a soldier it should not constitute an isolated perk - all should have)
17. TechTree
18. Wound Recalibration

I do not mean to abuse your goodwill, just wish you may relay these ideas to LW developers. I'm sure some of these mods must already be integrated into LW2, or under works; others, I hope, might be worth considering :) Also, it would be simply awesome to have MOD Manager to tell us wich mods are conflicting and/or causing crashes/FPS issues.

On the upside, FPS improved considerably, and screen freezes are nearly gone :)

I really enjoy LW work, since EU/EW, and wish Firaxis released a LW DLC already: both for overhauling integration and to reward LW.

Standing by LW2 Mac release.

Paulo
Last edited by PAULOEL7 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

@Yog_sothoth

Dude, I cannot thank you enough right now.

Your cookie steps formula worked fine for me!!

Back to HQ

:D
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Thanks Jith, hope the patch is out very very soon.
blackpeanutbudda

Post by blackpeanutbudda »

Yog_sothoth wrote:Being impatient, I did the following to get it going on Mac:
1. Removed all other mods (except Evac all)
2. Regenerated the .ini files
3. Reverified back to source using steam
4. Copied the XComGame.upk and XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size files from the mod folder to the /Library/Application Support/Steamapps/common/XCom 2/XCOM2Data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole folder

Gatecrasher works, Black market works, save games work and everything looks fine except when I go to the geoscape, there is no UI block to access the HQ and scan forward.

[Edit: Another .ini flush and recopy of the .upk files and this bug is gone. Playing missions!]

Good luck, Feral, wish you had a countdown timer! :)
How do you do step 2? I have done a search for the ini files and they are nowhere to be found. Sorry, I'm not as tech savvy as the most of you and I'm guessing I should use terminal for step 4? because I am not finding the file otherwise.

Thanks!
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

@blackpeanutbudda: go to folder steamapps > common > XCOM 2 > XCOM2 DATA > xcomgame > config and delete all files (the refferenced .ini's); then go to your Steam library, right click on XCOM 2, then select properties, LOCAL FILES tab, anf Verify Integrity on Game Files... it will notice those excluded files and rebuild them for you in a minute. This sanitary practice routine is what Yog_sothoth called .ini flush ;-)
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

@blackpeanutbudda

You can do this in Finder.

Here's the trick: on the Mac, there are two places where you find the game .ini files (and a lot of the other game files). One is the Steam Folder where the default (original) game files are stored. Those .ini files all begin with the word default and are located here:
/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCOM 2/XCOM2Data/xcomgame/config
DO NOT delete these. They are what's used to do the regeneration.

The .ini files you are looking for are here:
/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM 2/VFS/Local/my games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config

replace the *** with your user name and navigate to the directory. Delete everything in there. Those .ini files will get regenerated when you start again. Then, dig out the two .upk files you need from the mod directory and copy them to the Steam folder:
/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCOM 2/XCOM2Data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole

That's why you need to re-verify to source through STEAM if the files here get messed up - those are the originals and there is no Feral version.

Another tip: Mods get stored in two duplicate places - the Steam directory again, and the Feral Interactive directory. As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter where you get the .upk files.

/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM 2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase
poke around in there to learn more. You've found the right mod folder when you see lw_overhaul.xcommod

I welcome any corrections or clarifications.. Good luck!
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

PAULOEL7 wrote:@blackpeanutbudda: go to folder steamapps > common > XCOM 2 > XCOM2 DATA > xcomgame > config and delete all files (the refferenced .ini's); then go to your Steam library, right click on XCOM 2, then select properties, LOCAL FILES tab, anf Verify Integrity on Game Files... it will notice those excluded files and rebuild them for you in a minute. This sanitary practice routine is what Yog_sothoth called .ini flush ;-)
Close, I think. That works, but the game is still going to call the .ini files from the Feral folders so you haven't really reset them. I don't know for sure, but that's why I think my method worked. XCOM 2 itself can rebuild those .ini s if the originals are left in the Steam folders.

Are we having fun yet?
blackpeanutbudda

Post by blackpeanutbudda »

Thanks Everyone! I've figured it out.

Still crashing after the first mission but at least I know where to start.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

... for step4: LW2 folder is #844674609