LW 2 - Linux & Mac

mc322

Re: LW 2 - Linux & Mac

Post by mc322 »

To be precise the game freezes and shuts down the character pool doesn't open at all. Tried it with only one mod, LW2, and still cannot open the character pool.
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

I'm on Linux, and I've not had any problems with the character pool. You're the first person I've come across with the problem, and I'm afraid I have no idea what to suggest beyond the basic troubleshooting steps.
leudaimon

Post by leudaimon »

I'm on linux, and I've been playing with no problems but the occasional black loading screen that freezes the game and I have to close XCom and restart it. It has gotten much more frequent though, and now I can start about 1 game in 5 successfully. Is there any fix for this? I have even tried reinstalling the whole thing with no success.
burningserenity

Post by burningserenity »

I managed to get pretty far with this on Linux. I don't think all of the features are working, though. I haven't been able to do a single Guerrilla Ops mission, for instance. Worse, after the second retaliation mission there are simply no more events whatsoever, so I effectively can't continue the campaign. I can scan at a haven for months and never accrue any intel either. I've tried copying the .upk files and rebuilt the ini files but it doesn't fix the problem. Oh well.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Ok its working now, there was an issue with a corrupted bin file that I found. Now I can run with my favorite troops, thanks for the response.
dizbiz

Post by dizbiz »

Hey, just wanted to ask if there was any update on full support for mac/linux. Any chance it will be apart of 1.2? Thanks.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

Hi jith_feral!

Any news on LW2 mac release?

Just saw a Christopher Odd video when he comments on a new release fixing lots of bugs, which makes me further crave for this to come out!

Little things that are not working properly also increase the anxiety, things like missing items on inventory to sell on the blackmarket, or your sniper not being able to shot with his rifle, even though having snap shot perk.

Quick clarifications:

1. on the LW2 menu, what does "Graze Band" do? And " Pause on Recruit"?

2. How exactly does "Damage Roulette" work? It would be great to have those pop-up explanations to show...

3. What about "HRTrooper" (Gameplay menu)?

Is there a readme txt on LW2 features - could not find it yet? The one in our beloved mod folder refers to troubleshooting only.

Thanks!
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

PAULOEL7 wrote:your sniper not being able to shot with his rifle, even though having snap shot perk.
This probably isn't a bug. The snap shot perk changes how the sniper works quite a lot: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... easing_my/
on the LW2 menu, what does "Graze Band" do?
Changes your chance of grazing, I believe. By default it's 10% either side of the displayed to-hit percentage, or 20% in total: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/ ... ong_war_2/
And " Pause on Recruit"?
When you're scanning on the geoscope, if a haven recruits a new person, the scanning stops.
How exactly does "Damage Roulette" work?
I believe it increases the variance of damage. So higher highs and lower lows.
What about "HRTrooper" (Gameplay menu)?
No idea. Can't say I've even seen it.
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

The new version of longwar seems to be much more stable on Mac. Nice work Pavonis, you are crushing bugs left and right.
I haven't gotten any hard crashes or lockups playing a bunch of missions today.
The loading screen issue seems to be resolved.
The only one that I have gotten a few times is where I end up under the Avenger. Firebrand is like, "eh let's park it out here for a while and watch the sunset." Making a save at that moment makes a CTD.

Otherwise, this is probably more stable than any other modded XCom2 instance i've had.

Oh, and did I mention that it is fun as hell? Super atmospheric missions, good story-telling - favorite has been intercepting a rendezvous in the swamp near a broken old building with a mossy old resistance mec, a sniper, and a bunch of resistance forces with shotguns. Vengence!
danswill

Post by danswill »

Still crashes after first missions load screen. Play is fine, loading mission complete/avenger is bugged.
Yog_sothoth

Post by Yog_sothoth »

danswill wrote:Still crashes after first missions load screen. Play is fine, loading mission complete/avenger is bugged.
@danswill
Have you tried reverifying the source from Steam? That's what cleared up this bug for me. I think there were some issues getting the videos/textures loaded. Also, make sure you have the 1.1 mod from Steam, I think they've done a lot to it. Good luck:
2. Regenerated the .ini files
3. Reverified back to source using steam
4. Copied the XComGame.upk and XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size files from the mod folder to the /Library/Application Support/Steamapps/common/XCom 2/XCOM2Data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole folder
mc322

Post by mc322 »

"Oh, and did I mention that it is fun as hell? Super atmospheric missions, good story-telling - favorite has been intercepting a rendezvous in the swamp near a broken old building with a mossy old resistance mec, a sniper, and a bunch of resistance forces with shotguns. Vengence!"

Yeah, the infiltration missions, liberation of regions, advisors, the new weapons are great, etc. The AI is extremely smart the in-game enemies are tough. In the old game I use to beat advent on different levels because the AI wasn't that smart...not now though.

Post by 1645 »

https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/729/

"XCOM 2 has been updated to support Long War 2, a total conversion mod by Pavonis Interactive."
93isnot100

Post by 93isnot100 »

The Feral update's out! Fantastic news. I won't get the chance to dive into this until late tonight — does anyone know if in-progress Mac campaigns using the current workarounds will be continue-able? Or should I just start a new campaign?
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

XCOM 2 update 1.2.3 released today, available for download on Steam:

http://www.feralinteractive.com/x/news/729/

This version should resolve some modding issues :-)
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

93isnot100 wrote:The Feral update's out! Fantastic news. I won't get the chance to dive into this until late tonight — does anyone know if in-progress Mac campaigns using the current workarounds will be continue-able? Or should I just start a new campaign?
Mine is working.
Alpha Chill

Post by Alpha Chill »

I've tried pretty much everything in this thread since LW2 was released, save uninstalling both XCOM 2 and Steam and then reinstalling them.

I've removed all mods, deleted config folder, verified game cache, resubbed LW2 to latest patch and then restarted. I even tried that .upk trick too.

The game still crashes after the first mission - Operation Gatecrasher, during the load sequence in the Avenger. : (

I'm on OSX El Capitan.
jith_feral

Post by jith_feral »

Alpha Chill wrote:I've tried pretty much everything in this thread since LW2 was released, save uninstalling both XCOM 2 and Steam and then reinstalling them.

I've removed all mods, deleted config folder, verified game cache, resubbed LW2 to latest patch and then restarted. I even tried that .upk trick too.

The game still crashes after the first mission - Operation Gatecrasher, during the load sequence in the Avenger. : (

I'm on OSX El Capitan.
Oh no :( Email support@feralinteractive.com and the team there can take a look into this for you.
I work for Feral Interactive, who brought XCOM 2 to Mac and Linux.
Alpha Chill

Post by Alpha Chill »

jith_feral wrote: Oh no :( Email support@feralinteractive.com and the team there can take a look into this for you.
After staying away from XCom for about 3 months now, the game is working properly again, including LW2 and most of the mods I used to have. Thanks for the good work! : )
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

jith_feral wrote:Hi, Jith from Feral Interactive here. I can confirm that we're working on a patch for the Mac and Linux versions of XCOM 2, to ensure the Long War 2 mod works without you having to poke around in the files yourself.

We'll be sure to let you know when the patch is ready via the Feral Interactive website, which ought to be fairly soon!
Hi Jith, we are now up to version 1.4 and we still need that manual fix. Will it be integrated into next version?

BTW, WotC is out in two weeks. Will there be a LW3 version to accompany?
Zork

Post by Zork »

PAULOEL7 wrote:
jith_feral wrote:Hi, Jith from Feral Interactive here. I can confirm that we're working on a patch for the Mac and Linux versions of XCOM 2, to ensure the Long War 2 mod works without you having to poke around in the files yourself.

We'll be sure to let you know when the patch is ready via the Feral Interactive website, which ought to be fairly soon!
Hi Jith, we are now up to version 1.4 and we still need that manual fix. Will it be integrated into next version?

BTW, WotC is out in two weeks. Will there be a LW3 version to accompany?
What manual fix? In my opinion I have two crashes types with LW2 that are specific to Mac:
- When coming back from a mission and there's the landing cinematic, sometimes the cinematic starts under the Avenger and get stuck. Quit load las mission auto save and end it again fix it.
- Sometimes a save is corrupted, it's always on avenger, never missions saves. The save loads fine but I can't go to world map without to crash, so the save is dead.

I wish I had a manual fix for the second problem. Otherwise it seems work fine.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
mrdnra

Post by mrdnra »

Zork wrote:In my opinion I have two crashes types with LW2 that are specific to Mac:
- When coming back from a mission and there's the landing cinematic, sometimes the cinematic starts under the Avenger and get stuck. Quit load las mission auto save and end it again fix it.
That's not mac specific and I don't think it's long war specific either - i experience this issue fairly often myself on windows! As for it being not long war specific, i was following a thread on steam about this issue a while back (unfortunately i got automatically unfollowed from it) and it appeared the general consensus was that its some kind of memory leak within the base game, but is more likely to happen using mods due to increased memory usage.

Im glad for the last turn autosaves on the game but quite often if its a manual extract mission i'll do a manual save just before extract as well!
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

mrdnra wrote:
Zork wrote:In my opinion I have two crashes types with LW2 that are specific to Mac:
That's not mac specific and I don't think it's long war specific either
Right on both accounts.
There's a long bug report about it here as well but no real solution. A number of players have found their own "fix" to remove (or reduce) the chances of that happening but so far nothing seem to work for everyone so it's most likely, as you said, a memory issue just like the "Pure Virtual Function" bug. Mods which add a lot of content (such as long war) or poorly optimized content (such as some of those voice-packs filling the workshop) will use a lot more memory than the base game and thus are more likely to see those bugs.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

Indeed, I have experienced under the avenger bug in several instances, and endorse all said above. My take was also memory overload - cleaned up a few mods and rebuilt game files resolved it.
Regarding the second issue, on corrupted savegames, I'd guess must be related to mods? Don't know, you gotta try it out.
The fix mentioned before is detailed in this very forum at its beginning, indeed mac specific. We are still to overwrite two .upk files from LW2 mod onto XCOM2 "cookedpcconsole" folder. The idea was not only that minor issue but really a segway to inquire about mac version stability and optimization, issues I have been long struggling with and am still on the hope 2K, Firaxis.... may eventually. WotC release will trigger a deluge of mods updates. Perhaps 2K and Pavonis could work on LW2-WotC (not LW3 ;-)), and we mac users might enjoy a stable (no freezes, CTD, stuttering video or sound) and optimized (decent FPS average). That is really what most interests me here.
Cheers!