LW 2 - Linux & Mac

PAULOEL7

Re: LW 2 - Linux & Mac

Post by PAULOEL7 »

@Yog: bro, I'm digging this LW2 overhauling big time. Feels like Xcom is resurrecting after all... along lines with Tom's take @http://www.pcgamer.com/the-long-war-2-m ... of-xcom-2/

Thing is we addicted fans keep poking the developers for more... wish I could code decently :-)
blackpeanutbudda

Post by blackpeanutbudda »

GOT IT TO WORK!!!

@Yog_sothoth, @PAULOEL7 Thanks a lot!

If anyone else is having problems. One thing I had to do instead of just copying the "XComGame.upk" and "XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size" inside the folder "Cookedpctconsole", I first had to "Show Original" by right clicking the shortcut to get to the real files then copy those files in the proper location.

Also, just to note, I have a ton of cosmetic mods on as well as "Evac all" and the unique UI color code mod.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Tried this method a few days ago and got into the game but can't get past the 1st game. And for some reason at drop ship I have a guy "T" posing so there's a glitch someplace. But I can play the 1st game but won't go into the next phase.
blackpeanutbudda

Post by blackpeanutbudda »

mc322 wrote:Tried this method a few days ago and got into the game but can't get past the 1st game. And for some reason at drop ship I have a guy "T" posing so there's a glitch someplace. But I can play the 1st game but won't go into the next phase.
I had the same problem, you can keep the same saves and just keep on experimenting with the ini and the upk files. I recommend hard saving right before you beat the mission. Make sure you aren't copying the shortcuts but rather the actual files. You can tell if they are shortcuts because it will have small arrows at the bottom left. Also, it will prompt a "Would you like to replace these files", once you copy them over. Other than that, just copy what everyone else has been saying.

Oh and backup everything you delete in a separate folder just in case.
snekman

Post by snekman »

Does the fix explained above work for any Linux users? I've had no luck with it.
Drenn

Post by Drenn »

Yes, just copying the upk and the uncompressed_size worked for me on linux.

I haven't seen any of the new load screens though, so that must be the culprit of the savegame loading hangs.
snekman

Post by snekman »

So I've copied the .upk files into the game installation's share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole directory. When that didn't work, I removed the config files in ~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/my\ games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config to regenerate them. But that didn't work either. Am I removing the wrong files? Do I perhaps need to use Steam's runtime?
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

Drenn wrote:I haven't seen any of the new load screens though, so that must be the culprit of the savegame loading hangs.
I see a black screen on (what I presume are) the new loading screens, but I still hear the loading sound and it doesn't freeze. I am having the odd crash, but that's just as likely to be the base game as LW2. As far as I'm concerned, after jumping through the hoops mentioned above, it's working great. I was thinking us Linux users were going to have to wait for a month or two.

Still don't see soldiers hanging around my base as much as I see Windows let's players do. Not the biggest deal, but it'd be a nice touch if Ferel sorted that out *nudge* *nudge* :) Edit: Discovered that ini edits control this, so maybe it's not a bug...
Last edited by Inemuri on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

snekman wrote:So I've copied the .upk files into the game installation's share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole directory. When that didn't work, I removed the config files in ~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/my\ games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config to regenerate them. But that didn't work either. Am I removing the wrong files? Do I perhaps need to use Steam's runtime?
I'm running the game through Steam.

I had to copy both files from ~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase/268500_lowered/844674609/cookedpcconsole/ to ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole/ But before I did that, LW2 would still start, but would crash after finishing the first mission.

Looks like you got the right folder for deleting the ini files. I think I heard someone say that after removing all the ini files you might need to run the game once without any mods first. Then reboot with just LW2 to test.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

I did indeed get past the first mission. It was the file integrity that needed to be checked. But I messed up adding some mods, after getting into the next mission, so I'll refresh the 2 files, flush the ini and check the integrity then hopefully move on.

Looking forward to this patch any day now like right now.
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Wow, this is X-com on steroids totally reworked! The level of difficulty is excellent really looking forward to that patch now so I can add a few voice mods. I crash and burn whenever I add mods.
93isnot100

Post by 93isnot100 »

@Yog_sothoth — this all worked for me, and I am actually playing LW2 on Mac, so hooray for that. No crashes yet, but I'm barely into the first month. Hopefully it'll stay stable while I stumble through the first run until the Feral patch is up. Thanks for the tips!
mc322

Post by mc322 »

The game is completely reworked good job! The infiltration is especially nice, squads and so on. Lotta depth to the new game.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

Folks, anyone else struggling with blank soldier stats at the base (armory)? How can I solve this? I did the flush, tried the same with ui*.upk files, did unsub/resub to LW2 mod and a few other that might had something to do with stats ui... do not know what else to try by now.
Last edited by PAULOEL7 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAULOEL7

Post by PAULOEL7 »

Another thing: how the heck are we supposed to elapse time at Geoscape without the timer button? I am right now unable - got no missions going on, so there is not a single timer button around! There's no interface (options menu) hotkey; space bar or enter do not work either... so.... :o
Thojan

Post by Thojan »

Are you sure you are on a spot that allow scanning ? You need to be at a haven to see the scanning button appear.
casualeddy

Post by casualeddy »

Drenn wrote:I've had more luck after copying xcomgame.upk and xcomgame.upk.uncompressed_size from the long war mod folder to the main game's folder, as suggested on reddit. Saves are working and I'm past the 1st mission.

The mod's versions of those files should be at "~/.local/share/feral-interactive/XCOM2/VFS/Local/mods_lowercase/268500_lowered/844674609/cookedpcconsole".

Relative to xcom 2's installed directory, they get put into the folder "share/data/xcomgame/cookedpcconsole". The original files should be backed up, naturally.

Of course, I'm sure it can still crash at any moment. =P
I did this and it worked, but after the 1.1 patch the game is now crashing when I view a solider to promote him or her in the barracks, after the post-mission screen.
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Copy the files again from the patch. The patch has some new xcomgame.upk and xcomgame.upk.uncompressed_size files. It worked for me after copying the files again.
casualeddy

Post by casualeddy »

Cujo wrote:Copy the files again from the patch. The patch has some new xcomgame.upk and xcomgame.upk.uncompressed_size files. It worked for me after copying the files again.
Thanks! I'll give this a try
Thojan

Post by Thojan »

@Casualeddy: I got the same problem and solved it by regenerating the ini files + copying the upk files.

Also, I used to have infinite black loading screens for about 50% of my load attempts, with any save games. It forced me to quit the game and try to reload until it worked. Since patch 1.1. I've realized it was the new loading screens (revealing Advent true form) that were "missing" in patch 1.0. No more problems now.

I can report LW2 working like a charm on my Mac. Thank you for your work (Pavonis) and help (community).
Talion09

Post by Talion09 »

Just chiming in to say that the instructions from Yog_sothoth (on page 1) worked for me originally, but like Cujo, I had to re-do it all again after 1.1. Otherwise, I'm loving LW2, and thanks to everyone who posted help!
GeneralRowboat

Post by GeneralRowboat »

Hey guys! I managed to get long war 2 working for mac based on the instructions given in this thread! However, on youtube I've seen people playing it with certain features I don't know how to access. The main ones I've seen are firstly showing solider (and ADVENT) stats onscreen during missions, and the second is being able to select solider class upon promotion. Does anyone know if it is possible to enable these features on Mac, and if so how to do it? If not it's ok, I'm currently playing with Not Created Equally turned off for that very reason, but I'd love to turn it on again! Either way, thank you all for helping me get Long War 2 working on my mac, I'm a huge long time fan and I really appreciate it!
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

You can find mods in the XCOM 2 Steam Workshop. If it's not the ones I list below, then you'll find what you're looking for there. Some YouTubers provide a list of mods they use, so you could check that out.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =688405905
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =646244015
GeneralRowboat

Post by GeneralRowboat »

Inemuri wrote:You can find mods in the XCOM 2 Steam Workshop. If it's not the ones I list below, then you'll find what you're looking for there. Some YouTubers provide a list of mods they use, so you could check that out.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =688405905
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =646244015
Ahhh thank you very much! I thought it was just something to do with the fact I was running it on a mac haha. I appreciate it!
mc322

Post by mc322 »

Guys got a question, anyone have a problem getting into the character pool? I can play the game, add mods but cannot get into the character pool to add or create new characters very strange indeed. If anyone else has had this problem let me know if there is a work around or perhaps its a but in the game, thanks.