Infinite Reinforcements?

Biasface

Infinite Reinforcements?

Post by Biasface »

I had one of the missions where you have to hack a crate and then extract your soldiers, and noticed that reinforcements kept coming. I camped 50 troops in total before I got bored but I was wondering if ADVENT would have kept sending reinforcements ad infinitum?
warbrand2

Re: Infinite Reinforcements?

Post by warbrand2 »

you have to call the skyranger to evac units now. can make for some epic moments of just getting out in time, or lead to things like a high end squad wiping out an army before leaving on their own accord.

truthfully I think after like the 5th wave the advent should send in some big guns nomater what stage you are in.
rfriar

Post by rfriar »

Like Berserkers and Chryssalid Soliders, or squads of elite ADVENT.

Can we do that? Introduce reinforcements above the current force level? If we could, can we have it scale throughout the campaign?
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Rnf will get more powerful as you wait longer. What difficulty are you on?
Biasface

Post by Biasface »

I was on veteran. I brought the full 8 soldiers on that mission. I did notice the reinforcements kept getting more troops, and being led by sectoids but nothing above the first few missions force level.
rfriar

Post by rfriar »

Yeah I'd like end mission reinforcements to be smaller in number, but comprise of deadlier units instead.
xwynns
Long War 2 Crew

Post by xwynns »

You can check xcomLW_overhaul.ini for "cavalry" if you want to learn a little more about the infinate rnfs and edit them without experiencing it first hand.
shadow2879

Post by shadow2879 »

do reinforcements now come in instantaneously? Im not seeing any reinforcement flairs and not seeing the 1 turn wait time?
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

shadow2879 wrote:do reinforcements now come in instantaneously? Im not seeing any reinforcement flairs and not seeing the 1 turn wait time?
reinforcement flares do not appear on veteran or above
shadow2879

Post by shadow2879 »

Ellie wrote:
shadow2879 wrote:do reinforcements now come in instantaneously? Im not seeing any reinforcement flairs and not seeing the 1 turn wait time?
reinforcement flares do not appear on veteran or above
what was the reasoning for that?
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

The reasoning is simple - you have a lot less information what Advent is doing in Long War, thus no way knowing where are they going to land.

Also improves the survivability of the reinforcements, since you will more likely than not spread out your soldiers to cover a bigger area and thus get less reaction shots on them.
shadow2879

Post by shadow2879 »

8wayz wrote:The reasoning is simple - you have a lot less information what Advent is doing in Long War, thus no way knowing where are they going to land.

Also improves the survivability of the reinforcements, since you will more likely than not spread out your soldiers to cover a bigger area and thus get less reaction shots on them.
thats a good enough reason for me. I wasnt complaining, just wasnt sure if thats exactly what they had intended is all.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

8wayz wrote:Also improves the survivability of the reinforcements, since you will more likely than not spread out your soldiers to cover a bigger area and thus get less reaction shots on them.
Also means you can't spike the reinforcement flare with incendiary/gas/acid/proximity explosives. In my experience the vanilla AI won't run through hazards if it would take damage from them; this also means they'll occasionally stand in the open when knee-deep in acid -- and sometimes may not do anything at all on their turn.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Arcalane wrote: Also means you can't spike the reinforcement flare with incendiary/gas/acid/proximity explosives. In my experience the vanilla AI won't run through hazards if it would take damage from them; this also means they'll occasionally stand in the open when knee-deep in acid -- and sometimes may not do anything at all on their turn.
We have tried to include some workarounds so that the AI can path through hazards on occasion, although it was difficult because locked into native code. :(
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

Amineri wrote:
Arcalane wrote: Also means you can't spike the reinforcement flare with incendiary/gas/acid/proximity explosives. In my experience the vanilla AI won't run through hazards if it would take damage from them; this also means they'll occasionally stand in the open when knee-deep in acid -- and sometimes may not do anything at all on their turn.
We have tried to include some workarounds so that the AI can path through hazards on occasion, although it was difficult because locked into native code. :(

sad, but hey it means the muton berserkers are still going to be easy to counter with a single acid grenade.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I think it was more of the nature of "if you should scamper, but can't find any valid path, then allow running through hazards". Regular movement should still be avoiding hazards.

I mean, if they are completely surrounded by a hazard and scampering, it's probably because they were just hit with a fire/poison/acid grenade anyhow.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Amineri wrote:...locked into native code. :(
Never thought I'd hear that again.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Devon_v wrote:
Amineri wrote:...locked into native code. :(
Never thought I'd hear that again.
There's still stuff in native code. Basically C++ code directly compiled into the XCom2.exe. The main advantage is that it is 15 to 20x faster than the interpreted unrealscript. So basically you run your profiler and find your heaviest functions and migrate them into native for performance increases.

Tradeoff between moddability and performance right there...
admo

Post by admo »

Back onto the topic of farming reinforcements, they are not worth anything. You get no exp and they never have loot. You're just wasting your personal time but fun in the eye of the beholder.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

admo wrote:Back onto the topic of farming reinforcements, they are not worth anything. You get no exp and they never have loot. You're just wasting your personal time but fun in the eye of the beholder.
actually it is worth something, selling their bodies on the black market.
admo

Post by admo »

warbrand2 wrote:
admo wrote:Back onto the topic of farming reinforcements, they are not worth anything. You get no exp and they never have loot. You're just wasting your personal time but fun in the eye of the beholder.
actually it is worth something, selling their bodies on the black market.
You only get to keep bodies on missions requiring you to kill all advent, those don't have reinforcements. Anything to do with supply raids and troop column raids.
Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Wait, what? Kills still give XP don't they? I know that LW2 has changed the balance so successful missions give much more XP which is spread over the squad, allowing for stealth gameplay etc. However I thought that kills still give XP, otherwise why is the Wet Work GTS still available? I purchased that ASAP leaving me no supplies for a while - if no XP is given for kills then that was a waste of supplies.

Anyone confirm the actual behaviour?
admo

Post by admo »

Hazelnut wrote:
Wait, what? Kills still give XP don't they? I know that LW2 has changed the balance so successful missions give much more XP which is spread over the squad, allowing for stealth gameplay etc. However I thought that kills still give XP, otherwise why is the Wet Work GTS still available? I purchased that ASAP leaving me no supplies for a while - if no XP is given for kills then that was a waste of supplies.

Anyone confirm the actual behaviour?
xwynns said in his video that kills are worth less, but not zero and that reinforcements are worth no exp and will never have loot.