Why no tutorial?

Arizael

Why no tutorial?

Post by Arizael »

Long war makes a habit from disabling the tutorial. I find this sad honestly - both XCOM 1 and 2 had great tutorials. Which other game has tutorial, where all of your squad gets wiped except the last survivor. Sure the tutorial gives some boost to start but nothing really significant.

In XCOM 2 the tutorial also serves very important role from story point. Also I found the mission to raid advent convoy in order to get the Avenger airborne much more interesting then the generic "shoot em all" Gatecrasher. Besides Jane Kelly was cool and so far we get no Van Doorn to compensate.
8wayz

Re: Why no tutorial?

Post by 8wayz »

Well, the tutorials are heavily scripted missions and probably won't place nice with all the changes made to classes, aliens and AI.

The Long War team always assumed that whoever has installed the mod has already played the original game, so you should already have seen the cutscenes and experienced the missions.

That is my reasoning, Amineri and Johnny will probably have a different take on it.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Tutorial leads to bugged campaigns after our changes. It was probably fixable, but we don't have infinite time or staffing, so we just turned it off. And, yes, while of value narratively, we didn't think it would have much utility as a teaching tool.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

johnnylump wrote:Tutorial leads to bugged campaigns after our changes. It was probably fixable, but we don't have infinite time or staffing, so we just turned it off. And, yes, while of value narratively, we didn't think it would have much utility as a teaching tool.
I don't think the vanilla tutorial would have much value for LW2, yes.
But damn if there's a game that needs a tutorial is this. There is a LOT of information to learn and honestly the manual format you picked up for it is not the best either.

Then again you went with what was most feasible given your avaiable resources, and that's okay.