How have the suppression mechanics changed?

admo

How have the suppression mechanics changed?

Post by admo »

I AOE suppressed two people, one of them ran around the back of a car, the gunner did not shoot him but he seemed to still have the aim penalty based on the perfect information popup. Would anyone be willing to nail down the current suppression mechanics? I'll update the wiki so we can stop pestering you.
  • -30 aim
  • aoe suppression can shoot multiple people if you have enough ammo
  • some abilities are blocked out?
Aetherlift

Re: How have the suppression mechanics changed?

Post by Aetherlift »

for what it's worth, i've had people run single target suppression without the gunner taking a shot at them. the gunner just kept playing the suppression animation at the place they used to be. it seems like it's either bugged, or it works like a regular overwatch, where if they have an adjacent tile they can move to that's out of los to the gunner, they can move there freely without getting shot at.
admo

Post by admo »

On the topic of bugs, a gunner suppressed my technical, then I suppressed the gunner which broke his suppression but my technical still had the debuff and could not use the flamethrower. I was able to run the technical around without reaction fire though.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Aetherlift wrote:it works like a regular overwatch, where if they have an adjacent tile they can move to that's out of los to the gunner, they can move there freely without getting shot at.
I believe this is the case, though if you have a save with an example of a shot failing to fire when that's NOT what's happening someone can probably take a look at it.

Also note that some enemies have Shadowstep, which means they just won't be shot at by any kind of reaction fire.
admo

Post by admo »

mattprice516 wrote:
Aetherlift wrote:it works like a regular overwatch, where if they have an adjacent tile they can move to that's out of los to the gunner, they can move there freely without getting shot at.
I believe this is the case, though if you have a save with an example of a shot failing to fire when that's NOT what's happening someone can probably take a look at it.

Also note that some enemies have Shadowstep, which means they just won't be shot at by any kind of reaction fire.
In my first case it was certainly the case that the enemy ran out of LOS, making the not-shooting fine. But in both my cases the suppression debuff persists after they run it or after I break the person applying it.
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

For the issue that you mention about the suppression reaction fire not going off if the enemy retreats out of LOS, this is vanilla behavior that can be fixed with this mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =628207417). Make sure you run through the .ini and turn off tweaks that you don't want, such as the increase in suppression aim penalty from +30 to +50 for both sides.

Otherwise, I guess you can headcanon it away by justifying that the act of being suppressed "disorients" you from shooting properly for the rest of your turn. But I am guessing that the suppression aim penalty not being removed after suppression is removed should be a bug.
Aetherlift

Post by Aetherlift »

oh that's a very helpful mod, thanks for the suggestion!
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

mattprice516 wrote:Also note that some enemies have Shadowstep, which means they just won't be shot at by any kind of reaction fire.
Sidewinders especially.

Spoiler: They're the silver-and-grey Vipers with plasma SMGs that like to flank. Usually accompanied by a Naja (sniper) or regular/elite standard Viper.
Rikokrates

Post by Rikokrates »

admo wrote:On the topic of bugs, a gunner suppressed my technical, then I suppressed the gunner which broke his suppression but my technical still had the debuff and could not use the flamethrower. I was able to run the technical around without reaction fire though.
I had the same thing happen to me too, though it was a ranger.