Would be nice if you could carry stunned troops

Mongoose McMoose

Would be nice if you could carry stunned troops

Post by Mongoose McMoose »

Lost 2 troopers this way. Squad running to a hot evac and 2 troops were stunned by sentry bots. Other troopers were unable to get the "pick up" action when next to the stunned troopers.

If you could carry stunned troops that would be fantastic.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Would be nice if you could carry stunned troops

Post by johnnylump »

I'm all in favor, but it's not a trivial thing to put in place.
Krzysztof z Bagien

Post by Krzysztof z Bagien »

Just put them out of their misery with a grenade and you can carry their bodies :lol:
That's XCOM, baby!
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

Way back in the original I used to use pistols to shoot my panicked troops to keep them from doing anything too stupid. If we still had the free fire mechanic from that one where we could shoot at walls, friendlies, etc I'd totally gun down my own stunned, panicked and mind controlled soldiers and carry them out in both EW and 2.
dodger

Post by dodger »

johnnylump wrote:I'm all in favor, but it's not a trivial thing to put in place.

Would it be any easier to put in the ability to carry any soldier, stunned or not?

LowMobilitySolider1: 'I'm not gonna make it tot he evac! Just a few steps short!'

HigherMobilitySoldier2(Standing next to Solider1): 'Not if I have anything to say about it!'
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

dodger wrote:
johnnylump wrote:I'm all in favor, but it's not a trivial thing to put in place.

Would it be any easier to put in the ability to carry any soldier, stunned or not?

LowMobilitySolider1: 'I'm not gonna make it tot he evac! Just a few steps short!'

HigherMobilitySoldier2(Standing next to Solider1): 'Not if I have anything to say about it!'
Indeed it would be... epic.
Torquemada

Post by Torquemada »

Couldn't you make a sort of alternative of bleedout effect that instead of death would bring the soldier to life?
Krzysztof z Bagien

Post by Krzysztof z Bagien »

Jeckhyl wrote:
dodger wrote:

Indeed it would be... epic.
Especially with Red Fog enabled, when severely wounded soldiers have their mobility decreased a lot.
dodger

Post by dodger »

Krzysztof z Bagien wrote:
Especially with Red Fog enabled, when severely wounded soldiers have their mobility decreased a lot.
This is exactly when I wish for it. I like how red fog works but Red Fog + timers just seems to make things too 'all or nothing' going back to you have to hit the ayyys and not get hit back to really have any success.

Regardless I'm just playing around for now and will start a new campaign when 1.1 releases and try turning red fog and ironman back on.

Maybe knowing more as I do now will give me a different impression.
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

What about an ability to knock injured troops unconscious? If it worked like doors, a free action whose icon only appears when it is available, that should solve it.

Then you stand adjacent to slowmo McGee bop 'im on the head and carry him off to safety.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

GavinRuneblade wrote:Way back in the original I used to use pistols to shoot my panicked troops to keep them from doing anything too stupid. If we still had the free fire mechanic from that one where we could shoot at walls, friendlies, etc I'd totally gun down my own stunned, panicked and mind controlled soldiers and carry them out in both EW and 2.
lol oh man I used to do this too! A "wake up shot" is what i called it, not very original but worked.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

So I've got a "sedate" ability for a medikit kind of working, but it'll need translation. It lets you spend an action to use the medikit to render unconscious an adjacent stunned, disoriented or panicking soldier. I could also add a check for low mobility, I suppose, although I want avoid there being an exploitey way of getting a lower-mobility but otherwise healthy soldier to an extraction. I haven't imposed a mobility penalty on carrying another soldier but may need to.

The main problem with it is the VOs, which I'm going to try to work on. Right now the soldier with a medikit uses the "revival" VO when applying the sedation. Then the seated soldier uses the death VO even though they didn't just die. Then someone else says "We're losing people!" Not quite narratively congruent.
Darvon

Post by Darvon »

johnnylump wrote:I've got a "sedate" ability for a medikit kind of working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

I have almost all my people speaking foreign languages so I have no idea what they are saying. ^.^

Is there a stunner/arc thrower unique voiceover? Or just go with the standard medkit voice?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Darvon wrote:
johnnylump wrote:I've got a "sedate" ability for a medikit kind of working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI
Ha. I was expecting the Ramones, though.
ORIONOX

Post by ORIONOX »

johnnylump wrote:So I've got a "sedate" ability for a medikit kind of working, but it'll need translation. It lets you spend an action to use the medikit to render unconscious an adjacent stunned, disoriented or panicking soldier. I could also add a check for low mobility, I suppose, although I want avoid there being an exploitey way of getting a lower-mobility but otherwise healthy soldier to an extraction. I haven't imposed a mobility penalty on carrying another soldier but may need to.

The main problem with it is the VOs, which I'm going to try to work on. Right now the soldier with a medikit uses the "revival" VO when applying the sedation. Then the seated soldier uses the death VO even though they didn't just die. Then someone else says "We're losing people!" Not quite narratively congruent.
Could you make it check for missing health instead of checking for low mobility? like anybody missing 3 health can be sedated?
Sines

Post by Sines »

Besides allowing you to carry the soldier, don't aliens ignore unconscious soldiers? If so, then Sedation might also be useful for taking the heat off of a heavily injured soldier, and would make the above suggestion of sedating low health soldiers work for other situations.

Granted, you'd probably be better off just, y'know... healing them. But it might come up every now and then.
Zloth

Post by Zloth »

Perhaps instead of 'sedate' you could just include some smelling salts for stunned/disoriented soldiers that knock a turn or two off the effect? Maybe even provide an extra strength version that could be researched.

(I'm not sure what you would use for panic... dirty magazines? ;)
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views…
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
sarge945

Post by sarge945 »

Zloth wrote:(I'm not sure what you would use for panic... dirty magazines? ;)
Hand them a cute puppy
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

sarge945 wrote:
Zloth wrote:(I'm not sure what you would use for panic... dirty magazines? ;)
Hand them a cute puppy
Well... Being in the armed forces up here, I can tell you the typical treatment for panic is in fact a physical strike to try and snap someone out of their state of shock. It actually, does normally work to slap a person to their senses when panicking. The strike actually causes a lot of mental and physical things to happen that will bring a person out of a panic.

Shouting... Talking, soothing things do not work. Literally the most effective and functional way is to give them a good slap across the face. I could bore you with the details but I won't :x lol

Honestly I wish if you extracted someone while bleeding out and they have time left on the counter that it would stabilize them.
Sines

Post by Sines »

Valaska wrote:Well... Being in the armed forces up here, I can tell you the typical treatment for panic is in fact a physical strike to try and snap someone out of their state of shock. It actually, does normally work to slap a person to their senses when panicking. The strike actually causes a lot of mental and physical things to happen that will bring a person out of a panic.

Shouting... Talking, soothing things do not work. Literally the most effective and functional way is to give them a good slap across the face. I could bore you with the details but I won't :x lol

Honestly I wish if you extracted someone while bleeding out and they have time left on the counter that it would stabilize them.
I always thought that was just a cliche. Didn't know it was actually a thing. Still, good to know on the off-chance someone else panicks when I'm not :D

Also, I thought soldiers DID stabilize when you extracted them?
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Sines wrote:
Valaska wrote:Well... Being in the armed forces up here, I can tell you the typical treatment for panic is in fact a physical strike to try and snap someone out of their state of shock. It actually, does normally work to slap a person to their senses when panicking. The strike actually causes a lot of mental and physical things to happen that will bring a person out of a panic.

I always thought that was just a cliche. Didn't know it was actually a thing. Still, good to know on the off-chance someone else panicks when I'm not :D

Yeah it triggers a few things in the body, panic is sort of a lack of fight or flight and your body getting stuck in a pre-fight or flight mode and the physical strike both tends to trigger the response and often pushes it more into the fight mode as being hit tends to cause adrenaline to spike, adrenaline also is one of those things that heightens your focus.

In a mission I actually extracted a girl with 2 turns on bleedout and when I got back to base she was dead.
Jesterofgames7732

Post by Jesterofgames7732 »

Valaska wrote:
Sines wrote:

Yeah it triggers a few things in the body, panic is sort of a lack of fight or flight and your body getting stuck in a pre-fight or flight mode and the physical strike both tends to trigger the response and often pushes it more into the fight mode as being hit tends to cause adrenaline to spike, adrenaline also is one of those things that heightens your focus.

In a mission I actually extracted a girl with 2 turns on bleedout and when I got back to base she was dead.
Huh that's weird

If i carry out bleeding out troops it Stabalizes them and makes them gravely wounded
redscare

Post by redscare »

Valaska wrote: In a mission I actually extracted a girl with 2 turns on bleedout and when I got back to base she was dead.
Weird indeed, cos there's even a Steam Achievement for doing precisely that, and I got it last week. So it's a feature even in vanilla.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

redscare wrote:
Valaska wrote: In a mission I actually extracted a girl with 2 turns on bleedout and when I got back to base she was dead.
Weird indeed, cos there's even a Steam Achievement for doing precisely that, and I got it last week. So it's a feature even in vanilla.
Hrrmmm... I was sure I got her out when she still had 1 turn on the bleedout ticker, it didn't say she bled out. Maybe something wonked out for me because Iwas really upset when we came back and she was KIA lol.