Why should I create groups?

Dodie

Post by Dodie »

What are the benefits of Squads? When I create a Squad of 10 men and get a mission where only 5 are needed,
i can not use the others for another missions, before I remove them from the squad in the squad menu.
I feel more flexible without squads.

What are the advantages?
trihero

Re: Why should I create groups?

Post by trihero »

Purely for organization. You will get tired of selecting 5-6 man squads from scratch 3-4 times every week. You have inhuman patience if you're totally ok with doing that for 100+ missions. It's easier to have groups of soldiers who you think work well together and then you can add or remove a couple here and there to tailor to the specific mission than doing it from scratch all the time. There's no need to put 10 man squads together. Just put 5-6 man squads that make sense. It especially helps to organize your officer with the same men because the officer gives his followers a stacking bonus based on how many missions they've been together. It's not to your advantage to try to remember with purely your head which officer belongs with which men.
Dodie

Post by Dodie »

trihero wrote:... Just put 5-6 man squads that make sense. It especially helps to organize your officer with the same men because the officer gives his followers a stacking bonus based on how many missions they've been together. It's not to your advantage to try to remember with purely your head which officer belongs with which men.
So there is an advantage. Yes i will put 5-6 man in a squad, sounds good.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

You don't have to remove anyone from the squad ever. If you need fewer troops on the mission, just remove them from the deployment screen. You can also add soldiers from any other, or no squad at all, to the mission at the same time.

Squads are handy ways to group soldiers, you can use them or not.
Dodie

Post by Dodie »

Ok ill try it in my next xcom2 lw2 session.
redscare

Post by redscare »

I don't find squads very useful. Most of the time I need to go into a mission with soldiers from different squads cos everyone else is in hospital.

By the way, if you see your officer details, there is a button showing you the list of soldiers that have server under him (and how many missions each). A pain to check all the time, but definitely not needed to remember by heart :)
trihero

Post by trihero »

redscare wrote:I don't find squads very useful. Most of the time I need to go into a mission with soldiers from different squads cos everyone else is in hospital.

By the way, if you see your officer details, there is a button showing you the list of soldiers that have server under him (and how many missions each). A pain to check all the time, but definitely not needed to remember by heart :)
That's why I said squads are a purely organization tool, you CAN get by without it, but I don't understand you would prefer to do so.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

A squad that works together has a light version of the chemistry mod for EU/EW, the Officer gains some sort of bonuses for meshing with familiar troops... That's what I read anyways!