Nitpicking

The Boz

Nitpicking

Post by The Boz »

Allow me to nitpick about some perks names for a bit, OK?
The Technical (and Grenadier, for one) gets two perks called Tandem Warheads and Phosphorous. The names of these perks don't really fit their real-world counter-parts.
A tandem warhead is a single missile that, immediately before it hits a target, launches a smaller rocket at the target that knocks out active defenses such as explosive reactive armor, anti-missile active protection system, etc. The in-game effect is doing full damage regardless of distance from point of impact. A real-world counterpart to this would be something like Cluster Munitions (many smaller explosions in the same area produce a more constant effect than a single larger blast) or Submunition Airburst, or Fuel-Air Explosive (before detonation, saturates surrounding area with fuel, then exploit atmospheric oxygen to make a really big boom).
Tetraphosphorous, also called white phosphorous, yellow phosphorous, willie pete, is used in incendiary munitions for its pyrophoric properties; meaning it ignites upon contact with air. This also creates a lot of smoke (which could mean it is more fitting for a different perk). It does not increase armor penetration or effectiveness against materiel, which it does in the game right now. Thermite, on the other hand, does. It's a combination of, basically, rust and aluminium. Once ignited (and it is a bitch to ignite), it burns with the intensity of a sun. A handful will melt right through inches of solid steel. Pretty much turns it into gas. Thermite Pellets would be a more fitting name for this perk.
The Grenadier also has a perk called Heavy Ordinance. It should be Ordnance. He does not pray heavily, after all.
redscare

Re: Nitpicking

Post by redscare »

I must say I also scratched my head when reading the in-game effects of both Tandem Warheads and Phosphorous, specially the latter. I was like... "and what exactly has phosphorous to do with burning through metal???" :D

Totally agree on Cluster Munitions. But I don't think throwing a handful of thermite pellets to a 3m tall robot and then try to ignite them would do much good. As in the end it is just a matter of temperature... why not something like "High Combustion"?

Did not spot the typo with Ordnance as English is not my native language.
Zavek

Post by Zavek »

phosphorous burns for a longer duration and is a pain to extinguish so it could also apply a longlasting burneffect and reduce aim and disable abilities cause that soldier who is on fire is going to be very busy scraping and cutting that phosphor out of his armor and any exposed skin.

basicly its xcoms answer to the poison spit just with more fire.

thats my 2 cents atleast.
The Boz

Post by The Boz »

The "Phosphorous" name could replace either Napalm-X or Burnout perks, as it does both in real life.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

redscare wrote:Totally agree on Cluster Munitions. But I don't think throwing a handful of thermite pellets to a 3m tall robot and then try to ignite them would do much good. As in the end it is just a matter of temperature... why not something like "High Combustion"?
Perhaps you could suspend the thermite or a similar substance in some kind of gelatinous adhesive? That ought to do the trick pretty nicely. I mean I'm sure they can manage that by 2030 if they've already got SPARKs and GREMLINs and the like.

I agree that Phosphorus makes no sense though.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

The Boz wrote:The Grenadier also has a perk called Heavy Ordinance. It should be Ordnance. He does not pray heavily, after all.
I just searched the entire mod for the string "Ordinance" and it doesn't appear at all, so I'm not sure where you are getting this. Can you please show me where you are seeing it?
The Boz

Post by The Boz »

johnnylump wrote:
The Boz wrote:The Grenadier also has a perk called Heavy Ordinance. It should be Ordnance. He does not pray heavily, after all.
I just searched the entire mod for the string "Ordinance" and it doesn't appear at all, so I'm not sure where you are getting this. Can you please show me where you are seeing it?
I am not at all confident in that one, because I was looking at an excel sheet on reddit to remind myself some details, and that is where I saw that one.
rescuepenguin

Post by rescuepenguin »

They are referring to the left CPL Grenadier perk. It's called Heavy ordinance on a few things of documentation.
The Boz

Post by The Boz »

Finally got to the game. It is "Heavy Ordnance" here. Sorry.