Idea: shotguns get wider graze range

Lorkenpeist

Idea: shotguns get wider graze range

Post by Lorkenpeist »

Since shotguns shoot a relatively wide spray of pellets (depending on what ammo you use) rather than a narrow stream of bullets, I feel like it would be easier to hit with a few pellets rather than miss entirely, and conversely it would be easier to miss with a few pellets rather than get a solid hit. To simulate this, I propose that shotguns get double the graze range, so that rolling the hit threshold +/- 20 will result in a graze rather than the default +/- 10. Perhaps cannons could be intermediate with a +/- 15 graze range. Thoughts?
Arcalane

Re: Idea: shotguns get wider graze range

Post by Arcalane »

Don't they have a naturally higher crit chance? That serves the same function in that it can upgrade a miss to a graze or a graze to a full hit.

Might be redundant.
Lorkenpeist

Post by Lorkenpeist »

Arcalane wrote:Don't they have a naturally higher crit chance? That serves the same function in that it can upgrade a miss to a graze or a graze to a full hit.

Might be redundant.
Good point, I already managed to forget that crit can upgrade a miss. But on the flip side a wider graze range would also make it more likely to turn a hit into a graze. The idea is that, while a shotgun is more likely to deal some damage instead of missing entirely, it is also less likely to deal a solid hit, especially at range.
sambezi

Post by sambezi »

Isn't the extremely wide damage range already kinda do that?
Moophie

Post by Moophie »

I don't think critical hit can turn misses into grazes regardless, only works for grazes to hits and hits to crits.
Lorkenpeist

Post by Lorkenpeist »

sambezi wrote:Isn't the extremely wide damage range already kinda do that?
Not really. In terms of giving a wider variance of damage dealt, maybe, but a wide graze range makes you more likely to actually hit, even if it's for minimal damage. If there's an ayy with only 1-2 HP left, that may be a very nice thing to have.
The Boz

Post by The Boz »

...or just give the Assault the Grazing Fire perk...