Shotgun reaction range not lowered?

Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Shotgun reaction range not lowered?

Post by Thrair »

So, something I've noticed since playing LW2 is that Shotgun's reaction fire range is not lowered, as it was in Long War. This means your shotgun-equipped soldiers tend to waste their overwatch shots on distant shots with almost zero chance to hit, unlike Long War 1 behavior where they would wait until a target moved within a reasonable range.

Any chance this can be replicated in Long War 2? It's a huge QoL issue for shotguns. I looked at the ini briefly and did not see a stat to adjust for reaction range, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place?
Goumindong

Re: Shotgun reaction range not lowered?

Post by Goumindong »

There is a cheap PCS you can equip to have the same effect
sambezi

Post by sambezi »

Goumindong wrote:There is a cheap PCS you can equip to have the same effect
Hm but it doesn't really feel too great to waste a pcs on it.
ORIONOX

Post by ORIONOX »

sambezi wrote:
Goumindong wrote:There is a cheap PCS you can equip to have the same effect
Hm but it doesn't really feel too great to waste a pcs on it.
trade offs?
Sines

Post by Sines »

It's a questionable trade-off. I wouldn't say no to allowing Arc Thrower overwatch.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

There isn't a variable for limiting reaction fire range like in EU -- the mechanism simply doesn't exist. We added a 1% minimum to take a reaction shot (unless against Lightning Reflexes, in which case you always fire). The PCS is really the only solution. (You can probably mod our minimum % to reaction fire somewhere, but that will affect the entire game).
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

What if instead of PCS you made a weapon mod that did the same thing? "Smartgun Chip" or something?
naschkokthe3rd

Post by naschkokthe3rd »

I'd also like to see the min reaction-fire threshold mechanic as a weapon attachment instead of a valuable, can-only-have-one PCS slot. Preferably not dropping as loot, but buildable from the get-go (well, after modular weapons).
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Thrair »

Yah, that would be nice, given how niche it is. But I suspect making it a weapon attachment would be problematic, given most of those seem tied to weapon models. And I doubt it's in the cards to create a whole new weapon attachment model for every gun in the game.

That said, it is still possible to attach perks to weapons, like you could in XCOM 1? That might be another option. *shrug*
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Thrair wrote:Yah, that would be nice, given how niche it is. But I suspect making it a weapon attachment would be problematic, given most of those seem tied to weapon models. And I doubt it's in the cards to create a whole new weapon attachment model for every gun in the game.

That said, it is still possible to attach perks to weapons, like you could in XCOM 1? That might be another option. *shrug*
The models are entirely optional. There's a Halo Reach weapon pack on the Workshop that represents all of the weapon upgrades with 'AI chips' or similar, and they have no physical representation once installed.

Likewise, Grimy's Loot Mod has many weapon mods that don't affect the weapon model. Lightweight Blade for swords, for instance.
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

Attaching the PCS perk(?) to a weapon attachment (3 slots) versus a PCS (1 slot) seems like a good idea.

Otherwise, use Smart Overwatch https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =714941290, as smart overwatch Shotguns by default have a smaller and wider cone. The big compatibility patch says its compatible.

Myself, I barely ever use overwatch with shotguns knowing this, and only ever blue move+hunker or yellow move to high cover.
GoodIdea

Post by GoodIdea »

Not knowing this, I've wasted a huge amount of ammo and actions on overwatching with shotguns. SMGs and pistols have a range penalty too I think, though I don't know how severe it is at max sight range. I've found REQUIRED_TO_HIT_FOR_OVERWATCH in xcomlw_soldierskills.ini and will change it to something reasonable, like 25 or so. PCS slots seem like a weird spot for something like this. Even attachment slots feels off.

It should really be based on effective weapon range, not hit percentage, but if the engine doesn't allow it, so be it. I'll try the Smart Overwatch mod too.