Snap Shot perk suggestion

Cloista

Snap Shot perk suggestion

Post by Cloista »

It seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't find the LW2 implementation of Snap Shot works very well for them.

Taking a little inspiration from it's implementation in LW1, but trying to make it unique for LW2, I've got a suggestion for a new implementation which would represent a true 'snap shot' or as you'd see in an fps, a 'no scope'.

Snap Shot:
Take a hurried shot with a -10 aim and -10 crit chance penalty, at the cost of a single action point. Squadsight is disabled for this shot. 1 Turn cooldown.

This would give a Sharpshooter a chance to push a little damage while keeping up with a squad on timed missions, but would be balanced by requiring them to have their own line of sight (squad sight simulating the sniper having a spotter, which they wouldn't have taking a hurried shot like this), and also a reduced aim and crit (see 'no scope'). At base, a Snap Shot wouldn't be able to crit on an unmodified sniper rifle as it's penalty is the same as a sniper rifle's base crit chance.
Cloista

Re: Snap Shot perk suggestion

Post by Cloista »

34 views and 0 responses? It's not THAT terrible an idea is it?
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

It's been an hour and a half. Forums move slow. People may not have any relevant comments. Views can come from bots.

Have some damn patience.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

Its not a bad idea, if its possible.

But ideally it would have to have a 0 turn cooldown. Otherwise its not usable with serial, (which i believe was the intention)
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

I was under the impression that Serial still refunded both AP on kills with the sniper rifle?
Matanui3

Post by Matanui3 »

So you mean as an ability that adds an attack option without removing your normal squadsight attack?

Even in LW1 it removed squadsight permanently (if only because they were placed on the same rank as mutually exclusive options).
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

Yes, as an extra attack. So you have a choice of : Normal sniper shot at full strength but costs 2AP, or Snap Shot with reduced aim/crit, but costing just 1ap, but you can't fire at enemies in squadsight, only that soldiers personal line of sight. Basically the choice of lining up a shot (basic attack) or a hurried 'no scope' attack to lay down some fire while on the move.
Goumindong

Post by Goumindong »

Cloista wrote:I was under the impression that Serial still refunded both AP on kills with the sniper rifle?
Yes but not cooldowns

Anyway. I think that the implementation you want isn't possible with how weapons work. But not sure
Cloista

Post by Cloista »

It's just a cheap extra attack with a hit/crit nerf and a cooldown. There's plenty of different 'attacks' so I don't see how it'd be any different to the others. I don't want it as a passive/toggle ability.
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

I like this idea a lot. It should also be easy to create a mod off.

I have been playing with Grimy's Headhunter class a lot and other than the RNG gimmick they use, a snapshot sniper without squadsight is really fluid and very flexible.

Due to the penalties at close to mid range, there is a slight game where you try to find a spot as far away from the enemy as possible but still within visual range, and trying to get that sweet flank is not easy due to your sniper usually being behind the rest of the squad. When you do though, the rewards feels really sweet.

Death from above and rapid targeting ARE really good perks I wouldn't call such a perk outright overpowered. Fact is, if you want a dedicated sniper who can steady aim every turn, or a good holotargeter you need those perks, so a good snapshot perk is crucial in marking a third build anywhere close to competitive with those juggernauts.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Matanui3 wrote:So you mean as an ability that adds an attack option without removing your normal squadsight attack?

Even in LW1 it removed squadsight permanently (if only because they were placed on the same rank as mutually exclusive options).
In EU and EW it removed Squadsight, but in LW1, Squadsight was the Sniper class perk, same as X-Com 2. So you could use snapshot at squadsight range.
JLtheking

Post by JLtheking »

Well you can't now, because IIRC current snapshot gives a whole lot of really bad penalties at beyond squadsight range.