Difficulty gap

Daetya

Difficulty gap

Post by Daetya »

Hi everyone and thanks for this fantastic mod to the Pavonis team

I'm a not-so-great Xcom player that played LW1 for a while and just started out with LW a couple days ago.
Long story short, i feel there is a way too big gap in difficulty between Rookie and Veteran. LW1 Normal difficult felt challenging for me, at least in Ironman, while with LW2 i have the issue that Rookie feels too easy, while Veteran squadwipes me in the first 5 missions -mainly due to timers- at least once and from there everything goes worse.
I guess i'm supposed to try and try again with Veteran until thing goes better and i improve my gameplay and understanding of how the mod works and i'm okay with that, but maybe we could consider different level of difficulty between "Rookie" and "Veteran", ("Normal" feels right in that spot) to lower the dislevel between those two difficulties?
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Difficulty gap

Post by mattprice516 »

Unfortunately the number of difficulties in the game is actually quite hardcoded and cumbersome to change.

That said, I've felt the same way about Vet-Commander difficulty, that it'd be nice to have one between them. Theoretically, by using extensive ini edits one could bring one of the difficulties down to be between it and another.
Netvyper

Post by Netvyper »

I wonder if there might be scope for a High/Low difficulty mod then, similar to high/low range on a gearbox.

Those like myself could put it onto low range, and have the max difficulty essentially veteran, or a little beyond. Whilst those exceptional players who can handle legendary could have a higher 'rookie' difficulty level, and more scaled options between.

I'm not entirely sure how the workshop functions and if this might be possible - but it could be a suitable workaround?
Inemuri

Post by Inemuri »

Daetya wrote:Hi everyone and thanks for this fantastic mod to the Pavonis team

I'm a not-so-great Xcom player that played LW1 for a while and just started out with LW a couple days ago.
Long story short, i feel there is a way too big gap in difficulty between Rookie and Veteran. LW1 Normal difficult felt challenging for me, at least in Ironman, while with LW2 i have the issue that Rookie feels too easy, while Veteran squadwipes me in the first 5 missions -mainly due to timers- at least once and from there everything goes worse.
I played LW1 a bit as well and managed to finish X2 vanilla Commander Ironman without too much trouble. I also play LW2 on Veteran and had exactly the same problem with timers early on. But after overcoming that initial hump I felt like I got a foothold in the campaign. Since then the difficulty has been spot on for me.
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

How far in did you play on rookie? I came "pretty" far in my first veteran try, so I know that advent beefs up quite alot.

What I wanna say is, that rookie might GET a challenge for you, just not from start so if you feel overwhelmed by veteran so early, give rookie another go, and see if you can win ;)
Daetya

Post by Daetya »

Sacred Sakura wrote:How far in did you play on rookie? I came "pretty" far in my first veteran try, so I know that advent beefs up quite alot.

What I wanna say is, that rookie might GET a challenge for you, just not from start so if you feel overwhelmed by veteran so early, give rookie another go, and see if you can win ;)
I'm currently in Late July but i'm stomping every mission i'm interested in with no casualties so i don't know how much things can go worse i have a pretty big lead,2 regions (Europe+Asia, 4 radio relays built, lasers and predator armor unlocked wich i don't even feel the need for and planning on skipping without building any etc.)