Why does rendering (resource extracting) reside in the research branch and not the engineering branch?

Raven496

Why does rendering (resource extracting) reside in the research branch and not the engineering branch?

Post by Raven496 »

Rendering is an engineering role I believe...nothing more to discover. I can't see how 'research' techs would be necessary at that point. Wouldn't Dr. Shen and her team be more qualified and be better equipped for the task? I just don't see it being rational to interrupt any long term research for the need of a resource to mostly supply engineering anyway.
Sylvester

Re: Why does rendering (resource extracting) reside in the research branch and not the engineering branch?

Post by Sylvester »

Agreed. Should be researched to make it possible to do instantly in engineering.
ShockmasterFred

Re: Why does rendering (resource extracting) reside in the research branch and not the engineering branch?

Post by ShockmasterFred »

Raven496 wrote:Rendering is an engineering role I believe...nothing more to discover. I can't see how 'research' techs would be necessary at that point. Wouldn't Dr. Shen and her team be more qualified and be better equipped for the task? I just don't see it being rational to interrupt any long term research for the need of a resource to mostly supply engineering anyway.
This is pretty clearly a balance issue. Without the rendering in the research area, you progress to quickly.

On the side, I don't think Shen is a Dr. She's just Lilly Shen. Where would she have gotten her doctorate?
Raven496

Post by Raven496 »

ShockmasterFred wrote:
Raven496 wrote:Rendering is an engineering role I believe...nothing more to discover. I can't see how 'research' techs would be necessary at that point. Wouldn't Dr. Shen and her team be more qualified and be better equipped for the task? I just don't see it being rational to interrupt any long term research for the need of a resource to mostly supply engineering anyway.
This is pretty clearly a balance issue. Without the rendering in the research area, you progress to quickly.

On the side, I don't think Shen is a Dr. She's just Lilly Shen. Where would she have gotten her doctorate?
I don't know about going too quickly...there seems plenty of other hurdles already...but the engineers are rendering the ship...not the scientists...

...err...I believe they call her Dr. Shen in the scripts...fyi, its an honorarium...meaning she has mastery knowledge of said field...
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

I'm not sure there's a easy-ish way to make rendering take time without making it a proving grounds project.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

mattprice516 wrote:I'm not sure there's a easy-ish way to make rendering take time without making it a proving grounds project.
This would give the PG some use during lulls and allow you to easily queue up rendering though. Once a PG project is done, most of the manufacturing is moved to Engineering proper.

As it stands, rendering takes what, 8-12 hours? I appreciate the option to carve corpses into useful resources, and that there's a "Repeat Research" option, but carving down a bunch of corpses at once is tedious.
MacroNova

Post by MacroNova »

Didn't you guys know - Bradford is the only non-doctor in the entire XCOM universe. Dr. Big Sky and Dr. Firebrand tried to educate him but he didn't understand that you can't find a diploma at the bottom of a glass.

What I'd love is a separate category in the labs for Rending. It should still take time, it should still occupy the sole research slot. I just want less clutter on the list.
code99

Post by code99 »

+1

Never made sense why rendering corpses in the research department
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Be honest people.. is there any worthy advantages to losing precious Research points (one day +/- here, another there) to obtain very small amounts of resources?

When the BlackMarket can give you a hefty bunch of Supplies (even sometimes at a premium!) for ANY of the same corpses (Once given to me.. Vipers=10). Or, even that Supply-Raids offer good enough stash of both Alloys & Elerium & Supplies (AND Corpses, btw) equivalent to dozens (++) of whatever Rendering cycles.

To me, this wicked set of new "Rendering" features simply clutters the Lab HUD panel. I used it once to process an Officer for 3 Alloys.. last i ever clicked on the project thing(s).
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Zyxpsilon wrote:Be honest people.. is there any worthy advantages to losing precious Research points (one day +/- here, another there) to obtain very small amounts of resources?

When the BlackMarket can give you a hefty bunch of Supplies....

To me, this wicked set of new "Rendering" features simply clutters the Lab HUD panel. I used it once to process an Officer for 3 Alloys.. last i ever clicked on the project thing(s).
Rendering an ADVENT Trooper in the middle of March meant on the day after finishing that, I started reseaching Hybrid Materials, because I had 3 Alien Alloys and 3 Elerium Crystals and needed 2 more Alloys. Otherwise I'd have been waiting much longer for it. And when you need a few of those special items, besides supplies AP Rounds and Nanoscale Vests need 1 Alloy each and when you don't have any, rendering a corpse could get you those vital items in a day or so.

When the Black Market is paying a premium for Alloys and Crystals, you can often get more funds by rendering the corpses first. Especially when you have your Laboratory upgraded, rendering could earn you more supplies for only limited research delay.
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

The only time I rendered anything was in the early game to get the 2-3 alloy or crystal to pay for some research. Locking rendering behind the PG would make that impossible.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Well then -- i might have to reword my basic opinion on most of the "Renders" results like this.. *IF* the need is truly there for anything (at that particular moment), the decisions to do some should fit the right deal but at the expense of somewhat minor research time delays.

Note that it *was* the Officer that i rendered first -- for exactly one of these early game (i was mainly writing about mid to late situations) bottlenecks, btw.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Zyxpsilon wrote:Be honest people.. is there any worthy advantages to losing precious Research points (one day +/- here, another there) to obtain very small amounts of resources?

When the BlackMarket can give you a hefty bunch of Supplies (even sometimes at a premium!) for ANY of the same corpses (Once given to me.. Vipers=10). Or, even that Supply-Raids offer good enough stash of both Alloys & Elerium & Supplies (AND Corpses, btw) equivalent to dozens (++) of whatever Rendering cycles.
Simple; the Black Market only offers one drop of each resource per month, and may not offer up any elerium cores. If you've already spent the resources you pulled in from the black market, then as Jacke suggests, rendering can allow you to tick over those last few points of resources required for a project.

In addition to that, Andromedons and Sectopods (plus possibly other aliens) render down into an Elerium Core on top of the miscellaneous resources they offer. Whilst this definitely isn't the ideal use of said corpses given their other uses, it may occasionally be worthwhile. Lots of high-end equipment (especially anything plasma-tier) starts requiring cores to build.