Difficulty jumps

infidel901

Difficulty jumps

Post by infidel901 »

I played a lot of LW1, and i finished the xcom2 vanilla campaign, so i thought i would start on Commander difficulty.
Four or five missions in, the only thing i could think was "nope. nope. nope". I then watched several episodes of people streaming Legend/ironman campaigns on youtube.
Started again, this time as....well, Commander, again. It was okay, until the DE's started to accumulate. I was not doing ironman, so i began savescumming. After 20 or 25 missions, I realized that i was underwater and running out of breath. There followed more viewings of streaming legend/ironman campaigns. Played a few more missions. Nah, not happening, not without 6 or 7 restarts on every mission. And even then...

So i started a third campaign, this time on Veteran. Now it is true i learned a lot about the mechanics of the game with the previous two attempts, yes. But omg, the difficulty level is so much lower. It does not seem like 20% lower, or 25% lower, or 30. It seems like over 50%. Maybe a lot over.
I cannot imagine anyone having fun on rookie setting.

Does anyone have a list of variables that are adjusted in the difficulty levels? So far, i would have to say that the balance is too dramatically ramped up and/or down on these two difficulty levels.
RXTXK

Re: Difficulty jumps

Post by RXTXK »

Last edited by RXTXK on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

Currently no information on that linked page.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

This will help you a bit understand what the mission difficulty is: http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/Infiltration_(LW2)
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

Linked page shows nothing. But ok, i get it. Go to UFOpedia and search around. I'll do that.
Zarnak

Post by Zarnak »

Veteran difficulty will ramp up eventually in the campaign. You just get a bit more time to build your team up before the eventual 'Are you effin kidding me?!!!' moment.
Daergar

Post by Daergar »

Zarnak wrote:Veteran difficulty will ramp up eventually in the campaign. You just get a bit more time to build your team up before the eventual 'Are you effin kidding me?!!!' moment.
I hope so, currently rolling into regular missions with 8-10 guys at swarming, milking experience and random loot and not caring about any silly infiltration. Plus it's fun as all hell to send multiple rockets and flames into the xenos horde.

Started hitting max rank on most of my primary squad as well, some of those perks really make the class shine. Watching the stealth shinobi go from cowering rabbit to gun-happy madman with a stuttermag on weakened aliens is just glorious, then ending with a fleche on the hiding trooper and ending up safely in cover is yum.

I'm just assuming I'm slightly ahead of the curve (serious min-maxing the first few months) and the heavy end of the hammer will hit soon enough. Not seen one of those fabled invasions yet, pretty sure I caught the mission that leads up to it with 2 hours left on the timer.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

infidel901 wrote:Linked page shows nothing. But ok, i get it. Go to UFOpedia and search around. I'll do that.

Ah I see what is happening, the ) at the end of the link isn't going though. Try this one then: https://goo.gl/To9OA0 it is a short link to that page.
Insufferable Smartypants

Post by Insufferable Smartypants »

What's a DE?
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

DE: Dark Event
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

infidel901 wrote:So i started a third campaign, this time on Veteran. Now it is true i learned a lot about the mechanics of the game with the previous two attempts, yes. But omg, the difficulty level is so much lower. It does not seem like 20% lower, or 25% lower, or 30. It seems like over 50%. Maybe a lot over.
I cannot imagine anyone having fun on rookie setting.
You should try Ironman then. Seems the very best for you.
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

sorry yes i did not intent to link to blank page but inadvertently left the last bracket off the last character of the link, apologies for that.
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Difficulty_(LW2)
the page should 4 columns one for each difficulty with the values that are different for each difficulty

edit- or not it seems the bracket gets stripped as part of the posting process, how about this:
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Difficulty_(LW2)
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

I already found it, thank you though.

And yes, Ironman. I wanted to get in a few attempts before i did ironman....also i think it is early days yet. Show stopping bugs would ruin an ironman game.