Psi Ops still suck?

Tuhalu

Re: Psi Ops still suck?

Post by Tuhalu »

Sparky79 wrote:The whole prerequisites is a terrible idea.
Look at this: Fortres goes against Soul steal. Now at its base its already a bit of a difficult choice as it gives immunities vs healing/ablative. BUT if you choose Soul Steal you cant get: Bastion (which makes sense), Fuse or Stasis shield. And seeing how Soul Steal isnt needed for anything, nor does it boost Soul Fires damage/cd/hit/anything why would you choose it?

Same with Schism vs Solace - both are good choices except choosing Schism means no: Bastion and worse, no Void rift. And if you DO get Void rift it will be nerfed because you cant have it and Schism.

As they are they force the player to choose those two abilities.

So why have prerequisites other then the obvious ones (Fortres -> Bastion, Stasis -> Stasis shield, etc)?
Are you misunderstanding something? Psi Ops don't level up the same way every other class does. You can only pick from 1 of 3 random perks. In LW, at least one of those 3 perks will be forced to be one of the top 4 perks (from Null Lance, Fuse, Domination and Void Rift) on the first randomisation. If you don't have all the prerequisites for a top perk yet (and you won't), the game temporarily replaces the pick with one of the prerequisites.

The result is that you will usually get a prereq which you can take to unlock the top tier ability as one of your picks to ensure a "good start". Everything else is randomised. However, you can level up 7 times and you start with 4 perks. By max level you will get 11 perks, out of 16 total.

The whole randomisation bit is one of the things that make Psi-Ops unique, while the pre-reqs help ensure you'll get some top-end abilities, but not so early that you need to pay a massive time tax to pick them.

In any case, there is nothing preventing you from getting Void Rift and Schism, aside from a little luck.
Franzy

Post by Franzy »

Wait. If I train Shism, Soul Steal and Soul Merge, I won't be able to train ANY more abilities and thus can not advanve beyond mystic? Really? Or Psi can learn both abilities of the same level?
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Franzy wrote:Wait. If I train Shism, Soul Steal and Soul Merge, I won't be able to train ANY more abilities and thus can not advanve beyond mystic? Really? Or Psi can learn both abilities of the same level?
You will always have a choice of three after each promotion. However those choices are affected by previous picks. You cannot get stuck at a rank.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

In case anyone is interested i've created this chart based on Tuhalu's earlier post. It shows the requirements for the different abilities. For ease of reading it doesn't consider the "default level" of abilities as those only determine the time required to train them.
PsiPrerequ.png
PsiPrerequ.png (34.33 KiB) Viewed 272139 times
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Nice LordYanaek. So much better than my ugly programmer art chart :)
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

LordYanaek wrote:In case anyone is interested i've created this chart based on Tuhalu's earlier post. It shows the requirements for the different abilities. For ease of reading it doesn't consider the "default level" of abilities as those only determine the time required to train them.
PsiPrerequ.png
With your permission.. can i use an hybrid version of that solid flow-chart for my own Tree-Flow-Reminders MOD to be inserted on the Psionic Training page? It's inspired by an early sample made with v1.2 dataset which you've probably already seen in other threads.
:P
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Zyxpsilon wrote: With your permission.. can i use an hybrid version of that solid flow-chart for my own Tree-Flow-Reminders MOD to be inserted on the Psionic Training page? It's inspired by an early sample made with v1.2 dataset which you've probably already seen in other threads.
:P
Of course you can :)
if you need a different file format or want different colors just tell me, i have the original as an Illustrator file so i can easily modify it.
The icons come from UFOpedia thought (they were probably extracted directly from game files so i guess it's OK to use them). Also those are raster images so i can't do lossless resizing on those, but i could recolor them if you want.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Thanks! But i'll just be using your "design" as reference & devise a structure of my own. ;)
trihero

Post by trihero »

I'm confused to how psis level up/train in 1.3. Maybe this is a bug, but what I did was

1) trained a rookie into a psi ops
2) stuck the psi ops as an adviser, then I won a rendezvous mission
3) at the end of the rendezvous mission, it said "promotion" above the psi ops, and when I checked the armory, it had that swirl icon which in previous patches is an indicator you could train a new skill in the psi lab

But then I went to the psi lab and I couldn't assign anyone to a training tube.

I'm confused. I even checked the psi ops abilities menu, and it didn't let me assign any new points (not that it's meant to work that way but I did try other methods)

edit: figured out, silly me had to unassign the psi ops from haven duty