Advent Strength stuck at 1 everywhere

Izzy

Advent Strength stuck at 1 everywhere

Post by Izzy »

So this I wrote already on XCom Reddit:
So after losing my last campaign horribly on the strategic level, I decided to change my strategy in the new one. I planned to rapidly expand and favor quantity over quality in regards to tactical missions, meaning taking on nearly every mission presented with as few soldiers as i can possibly imagine completing the mission with and setting nearly all resistance guys on intel for first few months. So after a crap ton of missions I am sitting now on 3 havens with resistance radio nearly done and enough intel and supplies to continue to expand. I just opened up the Network Tower mission in my starting region but something isn't right: In all 3 Havens Advent Strength remained at 1. First I discarded this to applying my new strategy of doing missions in all 3 Havens. But now I am concerned I encountered some kind of bug because in my experience, completing Liberation missions always increased Advent strength. I even did a "Get Advents attention" in another Haven which is still at 1 too. So any idea what happened in my game?
I'm at the end of April now, just finished Network Tower mission and still all 3 Havens on Advent Strength 1. Playing on second difficulty level. Is that a possible very lucky outcome or is it a bug? :(
lilyophelia

Re: Advent Strength stuck at 1 everywhere

Post by lilyophelia »

If you're playing on Rookie, I noticed (from one of my many previous experimental games) that Advent forces don't seem to ever rise above 1 (or it just happens extremely slowly).

All other difficulty levels do gain Advent Strength over time.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Two of the biggest differences between difficulty levels is 1) The initial number of "legions" (strength level) in each region and 2) the rate at which the aliens land UFOs to add more legions to the Earth.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

lilyophelia wrote:If you're playing on Rookie, I noticed (from one of my many previous experimental games) that Advent forces don't seem to ever rise above 1 (or it just happens extremely slowly).

All other difficulty levels do gain Advent Strength over time.
I'm gonna call bug on this. I'm on Rookie and it's December-ish, I've liberated two regions and have one more ready to crack when I choose; it is ADVENT Strength 7. Most of the rest of the world (that I have contact with) is at least Strength 2, possibly 3.

OP also already stated they're playing on Veteran. :P
trihero

Post by trihero »

'm at the end of April now, just finished Network Tower mission and still all 3 Havens on Advent Strength 1. Playing on second difficulty level. Is that a possible very lucky outcome or is it a bug? :(
Why don't you play more and see, April isn't that far into the game and I have no clue if you actually did missions in the other areas or what type you did.
wei270

Post by wei270 »

Two of the biggest differences between difficulty levels is 1) The initial number of "legions" (strength level) in each region and 2) the rate at which the aliens land UFOs to add more legions to the Earth.
wait if this is the case can you interrupt those UFOs? do those reinforcement UFOs have relations with the UFO missions i am getting cause there is this month i got like 3 UFO mission i am like what? and then i never got them again lol
trihero

Post by trihero »

wei270 wrote:
wait if this is the case can you interrupt those UFOs? do those reinforcement UFOs have relations with the UFO missions i am getting cause there is this month i got like 3 UFO mission i am like what? and then i never got them again lol
You can interrupt UFOs, but you have to detect the missions, and on higher difficulties they are landing every 8 days and sometimes in regions you haven't contacted yet so it's not feasible to halt advent's strength level going up.
AvengerXP

Post by AvengerXP »

I've done some extensive testing with ADVENT strength and youll notice it being stale for a long while and then it's just going to ramp up. I've been sitting on 1-2 for like 4 months and on the 5th month everywhere is 3-4.

If you intercept a lot of Strength increasing missions and clear out a lot of stuff that pops up, it slows down massively. If you just click scan and never do anything, it's going to ramp up fast. I suggest you make the best of your time at Strength 1 because even at that setting over time, ADVENT and the Aliens will not be kind (The general FORCE level of the aliens still goes up like clockwork every 2 weeks).
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

AvengerXP wrote:I've done some extensive testing with ADVENT strength and youll notice it being stale for a long while and then it's just going to ramp up. I've been sitting on 1-2 for like 4 months and on the 5th month everywhere is 3-4.
Sorry for the late update but this is more or less exactly what happened in my campaign. So everything seems fine. ;)
Sir_Dr_D

Post by Sir_Dr_D »

What does advent strength mean exactly. Is this the type of enemy troops you will find on missions. Does it effect the number of aliens on missions, or both?
bingo12345

Post by bingo12345 »

Sir_Dr_D wrote:What does advent strength mean exactly. Is this the type of enemy troops you will find on missions. Does it effect the number of aliens on missions, or both?
only number. type is improved with time.
moroniccinamun

Post by moroniccinamun »

I was thinking of making a post about this. I'm on rookie (after 2 bad vet attempts), couple months in, all force levels 1.

I haven't done a statue-demolish mission despite popping up, so not sure if that would make a difference. Kind of sucks not having the ambushes or supply raids, I can't even make lasers.