How to find Black Sites?

Sarcasm

How to find Black Sites?

Post by Sarcasm »

I'm playing on Legendary, and have nervously made it into the late game for the first time. Lots of new things happening for the first time, but I'm mostly confused because I simply do not know how to find black sites. The Avatar Project is close to turning into the doom clock.

I have not seen any facility leads yet, but I'm also still infiltrating the first black site and have not taken it out yet. Not sure if that needs to be done first.

However I have seen the Avatar Project advancing due to "Alien Facility in Eastern Europe" and West Africa, but scanning in those areas does not come up with any leads. Do I need to scan in a region until I locate a "Find a Lead" mission? Is that Lead always for a black site? Can black sites appear in regions that I have already contacted? Can I only find leads in the region that black site is in, or can they appear in other regions that I have contacted?

Help on how to find these would be appreciated, I'm tempted to edit the ini to give myself more Avatar Boxes until I figure out how to find these black sites.

Finally, for the Black Sites themselves: are these map-clear combat missions, or should they be treated like stealth forced retreat missions? Meaning get in, get what you need, and get out.
Ketchup4684

Re: How to find Black Sites?

Post by Ketchup4684 »

Skullmining and Intel Packages.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Those are "Facilities" not to be confused with the unique "BlackSite" storyline mission (IMHO) where we grab that Vial to get our first lowering stab at the DOOM tracker.

Currently.. the only hint we get from these special places is a quick PIP(s) adder/banner that states what Region is hosting such a Facility. In XCom2, we'd either get a Geoscape 3d Red-Model as a reminder of the location while at times, even the entire Region physical layer would turn red as well if unvisited or in the case of LW2, without an active Haven.
Seems to me that LW2 reasoning was that this previous UI system was invasive to the generic activities & events now spreading all over the globe!

Yet... as stated by @Ketchup4684, you'll need to obtain the unlocked process via SkullMining or some other mysterious IntelPackages (as FacilityLead Datapads) & then, research them to "activate" the exact location. Once that's up on the Geoscape (as a Red-Model again, i suppose -- cuz i haven't seen one yet!).. the Avenger can be dispatched as usual like every other POI or Missions. I know that the "BlackSite" mission had a large Infiltration timer -- as will the uncovered Facilities, probably.
Sarcasm

Post by Sarcasm »

Hmmm, it's very strange that I have not found any leads yet with all the mining and packaging I have been doing. Skullmining so far has only turned up Small or Large Intel Caches. I still have not Skulljacked any officers yet - trying to put Codexes off for as long as possible, I hate those things. Is that preventing any leads from appearing?
Undershaft

Post by Undershaft »

Whom do you have to use skullmining on to find Advent facilities? Officers only or will any kind of enemy do? Do you have to use it in region where a facility is located or can it be anywhere?