[Suggestion, Question] Squad Upgrades

regloh70

[Suggestion, Question] Squad Upgrades

Post by regloh70 »

Hi all,
first let me say i enjoy long war 2, it is really a fantastic improvement over vanilla xcom. Great job and thank you pavonis.

There is however one thing that bugs me, building every single weapon and armor one at a time.
Now my question, would it be possible to get an option in the option menu to get the squad upgrades back?
You know with ajusted supplie and resource costs?

I know how to edit the ini to get it, but i have to do it again everytime the mod gets an update.
That is very tedious... :D
I would make a mod for this, if i had any talent to do so, but sadly i am at a loss when it comes to make a mod myself.

I wonder though, am i the only one who want's the squad upgrades back? :mrgreen:
Mooncabbage

Re: [Suggestion, Question] Squad Upgrades

Post by Mooncabbage »

I'm not really sure what you mean. I didn't play LW1 or vanilla Xcom2. Can you explain it to me?
regloh70

Post by regloh70 »

Mooncabbage wrote:I'm not really sure what you mean. I didn't play LW1 or vanilla Xcom2. Can you explain it to me?
In vanilla xcom2 when you research a weapon or armor tech, you then can build the new stuff as squad upgrade, meaning you pay once for a magnetic rifle for example and all soldiers have access to it. They are infinite.
In LongWar 2 you have to build every weapon and armor one at a time. Meaning, let's say you have 50 soldiers, you have to build 50 weapons and armors.
I hope that explains it better, english is not my first language.
Mooncabbage

Post by Mooncabbage »

I'm not sure how you'd balance that in LW2, as resource management is a large part of the strategic layer. You also have a lot more soldiers than you would have in vanilla Xcom2. For example, if Laser Pistols cost 5 supplies each, and you have 50 guys, could you reasonably expect anyone to pay 250 supplies on just one upgrade, which might quickly be superceded?
regloh70

Post by regloh70 »

Mooncabbage wrote:I'm not sure how you'd balance that in LW2, as resource management is a large part of the strategic layer. You also have a lot more soldiers than you would have in vanilla Xcom2. For example, if Laser Pistols cost 5 supplies each, and you have 50 guys, could you reasonably expect anyone to pay 250 supplies on just one upgrade, which might quickly be superceded?
Yeah, balance might be a problem. But i don't want squad upgrade as standard. I wish we had an option in the menu.

Vanilla xcom2 you had to pay 200 supplies for the magnetic rifle i think, not quite sure. But magnetic weapons where fairly quick superceded
by plasma weapons aswell.
So you had to pay combined roughly 1000 supplies for all magnetic weapon upgrades, and then even more for plasma weapons. Not to mention armor and grenades and such.

Don't get me wrong i am not demanding anything. I just would like an option for that.
I can do it via ini tweak but have to do it everytime LongWar 2 gets an update. It's hard work... :D
A checkbox to make techs squad wide in the options menu would be my wish.

I asked because i am not a modder, sadly i have no talent. And i would rather run as few mods as possible, because risk of crashes or corrupt saves rises with the number of mods you are running.
Daergar

Post by Daergar »

Building every weapon one at a time is core to the balance as far as I can tell. It does lead to a heap of inventory management.

What I would like, depending on how horribly complicated it is, is a being able to set a standard loadout for every class and be able to click an "auto equip squad" button in the squad view before a mission, giving them the specified armor and utility items. Perhaps not weapons, since those are rather particular given the naming and such, but definitely the rest. Apart from actual combat I spend more time shuffling gear around than anything else. Pet peeve slash quality of life wish. ;)
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

Daergar wrote:Building every weapon one at a time is core to the balance as far as I can tell. It does lead to a heap of inventory management.

What I would like, depending on how horribly complicated it is, is a being able to set a standard loadout for every class and be able to click an "auto equip squad" button in the squad view before a mission, giving them the specified armor and utility items. Perhaps not weapons, since those are rather particular given the naming and such, but definitely the rest. Apart from actual combat I spend more time shuffling gear around than anything else. Pet peeve slash quality of life wish. ;)
Better yet, rather than specifying e.g. 'Shotgun' for the weapon, it's 'Shotgun Class', automatically equipping the best available shotgun class weapon, with customized weapons automatically being considered best (or, perhaps, it automatically transfers the mods to one of the best weapons of the same class, IFF all the other soldiers in the squad with that class who do not have a customized weapon already have one.

I don't think it would be that hard to do, but it would probably be time consuming, and depending on how the internals work it could in fact be very difficult to do. I would hope not, but I've seen things before where even minor changes were painful.
regloh70

Post by regloh70 »

dstar3k wrote:
Daergar wrote:Building every weapon one at a time is core to the balance as far as I can tell. It does lead to a heap of inventory management.

Better yet, rather than specifying e.g. 'Shotgun' for the weapon, it's 'Shotgun Class', automatically equipping the best available shotgun class weapon, with customized weapons automatically being considered best (or, perhaps, it automatically transfers the mods to one of the best weapons of the same class, IFF all the other soldiers in the squad with that class who do not have a customized weapon already have one.

I don't think it would be that hard to do, but it would probably be time consuming, and depending on how the internals work it could in fact be very difficult to do. I would hope not, but I've seen things before where even minor changes were painful.
That's actually a very good idea, but as you said, could be a pain in the ass to implement. ;)