Questions about game mechanics: Reinforcements

josna238

Questions about game mechanics: Reinforcements

Post by josna238 »

I realized that they don't launch flares but still don't know how works and don't found this info on the ufopaedia:

1.- Wich missions do have reinforcements?

2.- In what moment of a mission come the first reinforcement?

3.- Are they infinite as I guess?

1.- Does their strength, frequency and number depend on anything? or are random or fixed?
Shaenix

Re: Questions about game mechanics: Reinforcements

Post by Shaenix »

I think:
1)Missions that require evac.
2)I heard that they come after you break concealment.
3)I'm afraid they are and they get stronger as turns pass.
4*)Local Advent strength. There is also a snare type mission which has ridonculous amount of drops in it, so prepare to evac or you'll find yourself like this.
Nicklopez2005@gmail.com

Post by Nicklopez2005@gmail.com »

The timer starts after concealment is broke, which usually takes about 5-6 turns after you've revealed yourself, then I think you get reinforcements every 3 turns after that, and they keep landing with stronger units every time. One thing I did notice just recently, is that if you evac the civilian you're saving on the mission before the first wave of reinforcements come, that it may cancel they out from ever arriving? I've had 2 missions now where I broke concealment on turn 2 of 12 and evac the civilian before the first reinforcements came and just waited at the evac with the squad until the last turn, and neither time reinforcements came.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Thanks for answers.

About the VIP extraction I tested and must say that reinforcements come even after delivering the VIP: I had a lucky mission with the extraction point near the VIP, I delivered the VIP, facing only one pod and with 9 turns to the end. I decided to wait near the extraction point in a overwatch trap to gain some experience and I received reinforcements (but only one drop). So maybe the extraction affects to reinforcements but doesn't nullify absolutely.

And now I have another question. I never saw a reinforcement taking oportunistic shots, but do they can? or I just was lucky?
Owlish

Post by Owlish »

Reinforcements have flares, but they are visible only on rookie. IN my experience though, they always land in the middle of your squad.

All guerialla operations have reinforcements (hack, vip, jailbreak), and some retaliation missions. In general if mission says "enemy material" in rewards, its usually has no reinforcments, and if mission have a timer, it usually hae reinforcments. Network tower mission and region invasion missions have reinforcments, but you can stop them.

Reinforcements start coming after concealment is blown, dunno what determines how fast though. I heard that it depends on ADVENT strength in the region, but i don't know exact numbers. there is also dark event that boosts reinforcements speed and quantity.

If you playing on higher than rookie though 20+ turns after concelment is blown 8-man pods will start to drop down every turn.
trihero

Post by trihero »

And now I have another question. I never saw a reinforcement taking oportunistic shots, but do they can? or I just was lucky?
They can't (or least I should say, they're not supposed/intended to).
Yenreb

Post by Yenreb »

josna238 wrote: I decided to wait near the extraction point in a overwatch trap to gain some experience
I read that experience comes from winning missions, not from kills, in LW2. (On a failed mission kills award experience, but not more than half what success would be.) You can farm for loot drops though, I guess.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Yenreb wrote:
josna238 wrote: I decided to wait near the extraction point in a overwatch trap to gain some experience
I read that experience comes from winning missions, not from kills, in LW2. (On a failed mission kills award experience, but not more than half what success would be.) You can farm for loot drops though, I guess.
Nope, reinforcements never have loot. They didn't in vanilla either.

You do get some XP from kills in Long War (Wetworks is still in the game), but it was 100% of your XP in vanilla and it's something like 20% in Long War. You can do some grinding, but eventually they'll drop doom pods and you'll have to leave.
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

So I've heard that XP is based on the number of enemies at the beginning of the mission and reinforcement pods don't give XP. I'm just wondering about missions like Haven Defense where you don't have any enemies at the start but have endless reinforcements. What's the XP for those?
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Here is the related section from XComLW_Overhaul.ini

Code: Select all

; This only works if the continuous reinforcements subsystem is attached to the mission!
; Alert modifier. Value to add to reinforcement bucket per turn by mission alert level.
; This amount is adjusted by ALERT_RANDOM_FACTOR. Alerts higher than provided here will
; use the highest value given. Reinforcements will trigger when the bucket reaches 1.0,
; then the bucket is reduced by 1.
+ALERT_MODIFIER[0]=0.20
+ALERT_MODIFIER[1]=0.20
+ALERT_MODIFIER[2]=0.225
+ALERT_MODIFIER[3]=0.25
+ALERT_MODIFIER[4]=0.275
+ALERT_MODIFIER[5]=0.30
+ALERT_MODIFIER[6]=0.325
+ALERT_MODIFIER[7]=0.35
+ALERT_MODIFIER[8]=0.375
+ALERT_MODIFIER[9]=0.40
+ALERT_MODIFIER[10]=0.425
+ALERT_MODIFIER[11]=0.45
+ALERT_MODIFIER[12]=0.475
+ALERT_MODIFIER[13]=0.50
+ALERT_MODIFIER[14]=0.525
+ALERT_MODIFIER[15]=0.55
+ALERT_MODIFIER[16]=0.575
+ALERT_MODIFIER[17]=0.6
+ALERT_MODIFIER[18]=0.625
+ALERT_MODIFIER[19]=0.65
+ALERT_MODIFIER[20]=0.675

; Randomization factor for the alert modifier. The actual value from the ALERT_MODIFIER table
; above is modified +/- this value expressed as a percentage. E.g. with the factor set to 0.3,
; the alert modifier will be randomized by +/- 30% before being added to the bucket each turn.
+ALERT_RANDOM_FACTOR=0.3

; Amount to add to the reinforcement bucket per turn when the 'Rapid Response' Dark Event is active. 
; Index by difficulty level.
+RAPID_RESPONSE_MODIFIER[0]=0.15 ; Rookie
+RAPID_RESPONSE_MODIFIER[1]=0.20
+RAPID_RESPONSE_MODIFIER[2]=0.20
+RAPID_RESPONSE_MODIFIER[3]=0.20 ; Legend

; Overall reinforcement speed modifier by diffiuclty
+DIFFICULTY_MODIFIER[0]=-0.2
+DIFFICULTY_MODIFIER[1]=-0.05
+DIFFICULTY_MODIFIER[2]=0
+DIFFICULTY_MODIFIER[3]=0

; This modifies on a mission/activity basis. Cap cuts off reinforcements after the number specified; -1 means no cap(default for missions not listed here)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(ActivityName=Snare, BucketModifier=0.5, ReinforcementsCap=-1, ForcedReinforcementsTurn=-1)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=Sabotage_LW, CavalryOnly=true)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=Invasion_LW, BucketModifier=0.2, ReinforcementsCap=-1,ForcedReinforcementsTurn=-1)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=Extract_LW, BucketModifier=-0.1, ReinforcementsCap=-1, ForcedReinforcementsTurn=-1)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(ActivityName=RecruitRaid, BucketModifier=0.1, ReinforcementsCap=-1, ForcedReinforcementsTurn=-1)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=GP_Forge_LW, CavalryOnly=true)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=GP_Blacksite_LW, CavalryOnly=true)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=IntelRaid_LW, BucketModifier=0.0, ReinforcementsCap=1, ForcedReinforcementsTurn=-1)
+MISSION_REINFORCEMENT_MODIFIERS=(MissionType=SabotageCC_LW, CavalryOnly=true)

; This is the turn count after squad reveal AND strategic objective fulfillment on missions with unlimited ("continuous") reinfs when ADVENT starts dropping 8-strong pods to force the player to skedaddle.
; Disabled by -1 or a positive reinforcement cap.
+TURN_COUNT_FOR_CAVALRY_AFTER_VICTORY[0]=-1
+TURN_COUNT_FOR_CAVALRY_AFTER_VICTORY[1]=12
+TURN_COUNT_FOR_CAVALRY_AFTER_VICTORY[2]=10
+TURN_COUNT_FOR_CAVALRY_AFTER_VICTORY[3]=8

; This is the turn count after squad reveal on missions with unlimited ("continuous") reinfs when ADVENT starts dropping 8-strong pods to force the player to skedaddle.
+TURN_COUNT_TO_CAVALRY_ALL_CASES[0]=-1
+TURN_COUNT_TO_CAVALRY_ALL_CASES[1]=28
+TURN_COUNT_TO_CAVALRY_ALL_CASES[2]=24
+TURN_COUNT_TO_CAVALRY_ALL_CASES[3]=20

[LW_Overhaul.SeqAct_LWCallReinforcements]
; Reinforcement encounter schedules. Each schedule can be given a name and a list of encounters. Each reinforcement in a mission will pick the next encounter in the list. If
; you get to the end of the list, it will just keep spawning the final encounter over and over. The 'Default' schedule is used by default unless a mission specifies a different
; list.
+ReinforcementList=( \\
    ScheduleName=Default, \\
    EncounterList[0]=ADVx4_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[1]=ADVx4_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[2]=ADVx4_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[3]=ADVx5_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[4]=OPNx5_Standard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[5]=OPNx6_Standard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[6]=OPNx6_Standard_LW, \\
	EncounterList[7]=OPNx8_Standard_LW \\
    )

; Reinf list for defend missions
+ReinforcementList=( \\
    ScheduleName=Defend_LW, \\
    EncounterList[0]=ADVx3_RNFStandard_LW, \\
	EncounterList[1]=OPNx2_WithTerror_LW, \\
    EncounterList[2]=ADVx3_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[3]=TerrorBucketx2_LW, \\
	EncounterList[4]=ADVx3_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[5]=TerrorBucketx3_LW, \\
    EncounterList[6]=OPNx3_Standard_LW, \\
	EncounterList[7]=ADVx3_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[8]=TerrorBucketx3_LW, \\
    EncounterList[9]=OPNx3_WithTerror_LW, \\
    EncounterList[10]=OPNx4_Standard_LW, \\
	EncounterList[11]=TerrorBucketx4_LW, \\
	EncounterList[12]=OPNx5_WithTerror_LW, \\
    )

; Reinf list for supply convoy. First two pods spawn on mission start
; and then others come in with a chance per turn.
+ReinforcementList=( \\
    ScheduleName=SupplyConvoy_LW, \\
    EncounterList[0]=ADVx4_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[1]=OPNx4_WithTerror_LW, \\
    EncounterList[2]=ADVx4_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[3]=OPNx5_WithTerror_LW, \\
    EncounterList[4]=OPNx5_Standard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[5]=OPNx5_WithTerror_LW, \\
    EncounterList[6]=TerrorBucketx6_LW, \\
    EncounterList[7]=OPNx6_Standard_LW \\
    )

+ReinforcementList=( \\
    ScheduleName=SmashNGrab_LW, \\
	EncounterList[1]=ADVx8_RNFStandard_LW, \\
    EncounterList[2]=OPNx6_Standard_LW \\
    )

; This is the baseline distance from the EVAC point (not squad centerpoint) that reinforcements will arrive on the defend mission
DEFEND_SPAWN_DISTANCE_TILES_BEFORE_ZONE = 19				; BEFORE Skyranger arrives
DEFEND_SPAWN_DISTANCE_TILES_BEFORE_ZONE_RAND = 4			; Rand(X) of this added to above
DEFEND_SPAWN_DISTANCE_TILES_AFTER_ZONE = 16					; AFTER Skyranger arrives
DEFEND_SPAWN_DISTANCE_TILES_AFTER_ZONE_RAND = 4

There are 21 Mission types, each one with its own set Alert Modifier. When the Alert modifier reaches 1, then the reinforcements start coming.

The starting modifier before concealment is broken is calculated as follows:
Mission base modifier + Random modifier (up to 0,3) + Difficulty modifier (Rookie lowers it by 0,2) + Rapid Response (it is nasty)

Then you can actually put a cap on reinforcements (how many pods you will see during a mission) and whether the Doom counter is active on that set of missions.

Speaking of the Doom counter, you can either disable it (on Rookie by default) or just put a cap on reinforcements which will automatically turn it off.

The Doom Counter is broken into two types:
On missions with timers it only starts after concealment is broken and the strategic objective is achieved. You should not see it at all.

On non-timed missions it starts right when you are revealed. It is fairly lengthy (20 turns for Legendary) but you do have to keep in mind that in mind when you go assaulting HQs and Network Towers.

Next on the list you can see that you can actually define your own reinforcement schedules. You can check what are the current pods, as well create entirely new ones in XComMissions.ini. As you can notice, the largest pod you will get is 6 units.

Also from my experience reinforcements do give XP, although it is very little. In most cases you are better of just taking off.
trihero

Post by trihero »

HQs get infinite reinforcements?
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Yep, check ReinforcementsCap=-1. You have to switch it to anything above -1 to limit the number of reinforcements.

On the other hand, the HQ should only have Doom reinforcements. I have yet to play a HQ mission, so please correct me if I am wrong.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I've never seen HQ get any reinforcements, why do you say it does?
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Oh, I am saying that the HQ, among other missions, should only get Doom reinforcements X (20 for Legendary ) turns after breaking concealment.

Once the Doom reinforcements start dropping though, there are infinite.
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

the dude here takes 68 turns on legendary HQ with no rnf, so I'm not sure that is true
https://youtu.be/99UbZ4X8gm8?t=3809
Aildiin

Post by Aildiin »

I am about to loose my campaign because of 8 man reinforcement every round on the Forge mission that occured before I even got in reach of the objective.
Is that expected ?
Do they start to arrive as soon as you kill the last advent unit on the map ? ( they somehow all converged on me so I killed them all far from the objective).

Anyway it's dropping pods of 8 every turn and it's overwhelming me fast ( first pod had a gatekeeper too..)
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

The Doom reinforcements are turned off on Rookie by default. That said you should also check what mods he is using.

Doom reinforcements start coming your way after a set number of turns when you break concealment. If you have achieved your mission objective just get away from there. No need to turn that place into a slaughter house.

Xwynns has the bad habit of literally spending 10 to 20 turns just setting up an ambush position before breaking concealment. So I would also take that mission timer with a grain of salt.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

8wayz wrote:Yep, check ReinforcementsCap=-1. You have to switch it to anything above -1 to limit the number of reinforcements.

On the other hand, the HQ should only have Doom reinforcements. I have yet to play a HQ mission, so please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are missing something. Your quoted text from XComLW_Overhaul.ini only defines how the reinforcement schedule works "if the continuous reinforcements subsystem is attached to the mission".

I don't believe the hq assault, supply raid, convoy attack or faceless missions have any reinforcement schedule attached at all. I ran over 50 turns in my first HQ assault on Veteran difficulty and never saw any RNF. Most that was out of concealment.

I don't know where to look to see which missions have the continous reinforcements subsystem attached though :(
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Why sometimes I don't receive the reinforcement warning? I mean the audio from the soldiers saying something like "they are incoming" and the small flashing red banner on the corner.
Sir_Dr_D

Post by Sir_Dr_D »

When you are clearly winning a mission , reinforcement pods are fun. You know they are going to just drop down into the middle of your squad, where everyone is waiting on overwatch. :D
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

It's 20 turns from breaking concealment, so if you play slow it could be turn 57 before they show up.

I've never seen reinforcements come in without a warning.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

I am sure they give XP because I saw soldiers gain promotion while farming kills overwatchin on the EVAC.

So puting all together:

1.- They never get yellow actions.
2.- They never drop loot.
3.- They give XP
4.- They can come without warning. (Why and when?)
5.- They begin to come some turns after break concealment (5 or 6 turns)
6.- They come periodically with increasing rate begining with 3 turns.
7.- They have more aliens and stronger with every drop.
8.- They end droping pods of 8 hard units every turn.

Correct me if some of this is wrong.
my357magnum

Post by my357magnum »

Does anyone know what the default value of 'ReinforcementsCap' is ?

I am on a Hack Terminal mission and the reinforcements spawn infinitely, which is causing my game to crash due to the number of corpses (I think). I really want to finish the mission i'm on, however after 13 rounds when the evac arrives the game shits the bed, every time.

I've noticed in my XComLW_Overhaul.ini that 'ReinforcementsCap' is only set on 3 mission types, none of the Hack mission types have a Cap.

Thanks
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

If there is no cap then it is infinite. To finish the mission you can either use the Dev Console or try to lower your graphics settings so it can properly draw the complete map and then try to EVAC.