What do the Engineering and Research projects do?

josna238

What do the Engineering and Research projects do?

Post by josna238 »

I saw in the laboratory two projects that cost 22 days. I don't remember exactly their names but reading the description I guess they are some sort of engineering and research speed bonus.

What do they exactly do? and how much?

Thanks in advance for help.
Fictitious1267

Re: What do the Engineering and Research projects do?

Post by Fictitious1267 »

Doing the Research one makes future research take less time. Not sure by how much. I'm guessing the Engineering does something similar, but I can't tell from getting it, or the description. I heard they are equivalent to getting 1 scientist, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

They seriously need to rework some of the descriptions in the game.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Basic research gives you the equivalent of one scientist working on research (that is what it means by faster research). I like to do this twice in the early game both to smooth out bad scientist luck but also just to accumulate research for the duration of the game (and I don't have that much money to spend early on anyways so it's not like rushing lasers or mag will be super useful to me).

The engineering research doesn't make any proving grounds or buliding things go any faster, it just gives you an additional invisible engineer for purposes of unlocking certain projects. For instance, mag weapons requires 3 engineers to actually manufacture the weapons, and each engineering research reduces that count by 1. The highest tier requires 7 engineers I think. It may seem silly on lower difficulties but on higher difficulties you can easily get a dry spell of no one to rescue and the supply cost on the black market is pretty high, so the research might be worth it.
josna238

Post by josna238 »

Thanks. I though about them because on early game I am very low on resources and I guess that I won't be able to afford the things if I rush some technology or weapon, so delaying them 22 days doesn't seem a bad plan. As I am going to spend on thing like wet work, facilities or rookies that don't require research.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Yeah I'd personally recommend start with resistance comms expand immediately with your starting intel, then basic research at least twice. 20'ish days might seem a lot but early in the game you're twiddling your thumbs anyways and it pays off in the long run. The engineering one I wouldn't use unless I really need to unlock the ability to manufacture laser or mag and just haven't rescued enough engis by that time in the game.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I'll be honest with you though, if the rescue mission for the first scientist fails then I would restart the campaign.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Dwarfling wrote:I'll be honest with you though, if the rescue mission for the first scientist fails then I would restart the campaign.
Shrug, I have gone through the first two months with zero engineer/scientists spawning, and came out fine.