Can we skip faceless man missions?

Maebalzurakin

Can we skip faceless man missions?

Post by Maebalzurakin »

I really like how LW2 doesn't make us do every mission and we are allowed to skip the ones we dont like.

Except, I assume there will be dire consequences for skipping the faceless man missions. They are fun to do occasionally, but I had one month where it seemed I was doing one of these every other day. What happens if we skip these?

Can we have an auto-resolve? Can we station more soldiers in the zones? I have extras sitting on the ship doing nothing. Can we spend extra resources to give the resistance guys better armor?

BTW, I did notice that certain leader perks, "lead by example", really help out with the resistance guys. I usually never took that one because my soldiers are usually about the same level.
GavinRuneblade

Re: Can we skip faceless man missions?

Post by GavinRuneblade »

If you mean the rendezvous missions, skipping them means you keep losing supplies to "mysterious circumstances ". If you skip retaliations then your haven has people die.
trihero

Post by trihero »

I haven't noticed any direct penalties for skipping the faceless rendezvous mission, so if you let it go then your haven won't blow up or anything. Just remember though that faceless reduce the effectiveness of the job they are working on, and they increase the chances of retaliations.

I find rendezvous missions are pretty easy as is. There are always exactly 2 pods, one is patrolling and the other is sitting there. You beaglerush the patrolling one (i.e. set an overwatch trap that they walk to on their turn; they don't get any yellow reaction moves this way), and just blow your grenades on the second one.

I have no comment on your other questions/suggestions about stationing more men or auto-resolves, just wanted to answer your question.
deducter

Post by deducter »

You can skip the rendez-vous missions. Simply drop an evac flare, wait until it arrives, then leave. The faceless will be gone after you do this. You lose the chance at loot, but it's still a better outcome since faceless on jobs will actively sabotage any job you put them on and lower the threshold for retaliation missions.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

The Faceless won't be gone if you evac from a rendezvous without killing it. At least, it's not supposed to be.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Saph7 »

mattprice516 wrote:The Faceless won't be gone if you evac from a rendezvous without killing it. At least, it's not supposed to be.
Which does seem kind of silly.

"Hey, Bob, why weren't you there for that Faceless hunt?"
"Uhhh, I was sick."
"And that guy we got a look at, hanging out with that Advent officer, before we evac'ed? Why did he look exactly like you?"
"Um, identical twins?"
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

Saph7 wrote:
mattprice516 wrote:The Faceless won't be gone if you evac from a rendezvous without killing it. At least, it's not supposed to be.
Which does seem kind of silly.

"Hey, Bob, why weren't you there for that Faceless hunt?"
"Uhhh, I was sick."
"And that guy we got a look at, hanging out with that Advent officer, before we evac'ed? Why did he look exactly like you?"
"Um, identical twins?"
It does seem silly on the surface, especially how much mass faceless seem to squish into such a small frame. "Hey bob, what have you been eating? You're 5,8 have a 30-inch waist and weight 380 pounds! How is that possible?"

But below the surface there are reasons for it.

If you have 15 people in a haven and two faceless enemies in the mission plus a team of five hunters plus your advisor that means 8 people didn't show for the hunt. Do you just assume all 8 are faceless?

Also the game can't tell the difference between you evacing on the first turn without seeing who the faceless were impersonating and after seeing them transform.
TechnoMage

Post by TechnoMage »

Except you would do a head count and find the guy who was missing before you leave.

"Ok guys we have a faceless to hunt, everyone gather up you 4 over there grab your guns... wait where is Bob and Jen?"

I guess maybe not everyone is there at the time you heard the call but still shouldn't be too hard to figure it out, hell fly a drone over to see who is there.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

My first rendezvous was in a zone with 6 resistance members. After I remembered that, looking at the 4 who came out with me, I thought "Damn, it's going to be 2 Faceless." But there was only 1.

Sometimes, resistance members don't show up on a rendezvous. Don't why.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Jacke wrote:My first rendezvous was in a zone with 6 resistance members. After I remembered that, looking at the 4 who came out with me, I thought "Damn, it's going to be 2 Faceless." But there was only 1.

Sometimes, resistance members don't show up on a rendezvous. Don't why.
I think it tries to save one to ensure that you're not put down to zero haven members in case the squad wipes or you take heavy casualties.
deducter

Post by deducter »

Try evacuating from a rendez-vous mission, and compare the # of rebels before and after. You will find that some rebels are gone. Those are the faceless. I have personally done this in the game.

I also reported this as a potential bug, and Johnny L. confirmed that it's actually a feature.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 17&t=24357
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Huh - I stand corrected!
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

mattprice516 wrote:Huh - I stand corrected!
You use your computer standing up?

Makes me think of this:
https://xkcd.com/1329/
AlexTFish

Post by AlexTFish »

There are assorted questions raised by the idea of Faceless being infiltrators. I can just imagine the weekly resistance haven status meetings:

"Jack, how's the supply gathering going?"
"Found two abandoned trucks we're in the process of dismantling, and a good haul of thrown-out medical equipment."
"Great. Debs? Any new intel?"
"A couple of radio alerts we thought were ADVENT troop movements, but turned out to just be drills."
"OK, stay alert. Jason, any new recruits?"
"Grraaarrgghhh. Unngghhh."
"Oh... kay... Well, keep at it..."