[Suggestion] Allow changing gear for haven advisers without removing them first

Fictitious1267

[Suggestion] Allow changing gear for haven advisers without removing them first

Post by Fictitious1267 »

The title really says it all. There's a lot of pointless micro management in the game. One of the most annoying ones is not being able to equip gear, change a PCS, or add weapon attachments to a haven adviser soldier. Sure, it makes sense in the real world that you would recover a soldier before changing their gear, but as a gameplay mechanic, it functions poorly, only adding extra clicks when we already have a lot of pointless window shuffling with the GTS and AWC.
Jacke

Re: [Suggestion] Allow changing gear for haven advisers without removing them first

Post by Jacke »

Completely agree. I tend to make sure Haven Advisors are kitted out for their assignments ahead of time, but being able to adjust it without jumping through hoops would be great.
Saph7
Long War 2 Crew

Re: [Suggestion] Allow changing gear for haven advisers without removing them first

Post by Saph7 »

Yes, please. It's really annoying having to go through all this trouble to change their kit.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Agreed. Since assigning and recalling advisers is a zero-cost action there is no point in restricting interactions with them. I would even go as far as let them do everything (go on missions or place in special training with a "removing adviser" warning, change gear and the like).
mr_j936

Post by mr_j936 »

Maybe removing the soldier resets the number of anti faceless intel he gathered? If not then I also support adding this feature.
RapidFire

Post by RapidFire »

Dingo wrote:Agreed. Since assigning and recalling advisers is a zero-cost action there is no point in restricting interactions with them. I would even go as far as let them do everything (go on missions or place in special training with a "removing adviser" warning, change gear and the like).
Agreed as well, and I like Dingo's extension here. They would just temporarily be removed as an advisor if you need them. As nice as it is overall, there are several places where LW2 maximizes the number of clicks required to get some of the strategy-level stuff done.
justdont

Post by justdont »

mr_j936 wrote:Maybe removing the soldier resets the number of anti faceless intel he gathered? If not then I also support adding this feature.
It doesn't. Perhaps it only makes advisor skip a day of activity (much like rebels do when you switch their jobs).
The only reason to lock advisor are the cases where advisor can't be moved (when a COIN mission is active). So it seems that devs restricted actions with advisor to simplify the code (only 1 place to do the checks before removal because taking advisor off the job happens only via 1 UI screen).
Raven496

Post by Raven496 »

Well..if they go that far...please also include selecting available troops who are in another squad...squad assignments are kind of glitchy anyway...most of the time a squad disbands immediately after a mission for what reason I don't know...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Game has a bunch of UI issues. Changing gear for haven advisers without the hassle of removing them and then putting them back is just one of them.

#1 Also once officer or AWC training is done view soldier should bring us to Armory screen so we can put new soldiers in without needing to use next/previous soldier buttons which just make it harder to get a clear picture who is available and how is not.
Please improve this.

#2 Actually most things should be available from armory screen. When I got an important mission and half my team is injured, half is infiltrating and I need to start considering removing Haven advisers, and people training in AWC/Officer I am doing the plan from Armory screen but you cannot remove people you need from there. You need to click over 9000 times in different screens to remove people and make them available.
I understand needing those screens to put people into Haven/Officer/AWC but you need to let us remove them from one screen.
Please improve this.

#3 As was mentioned above squad management is not good enough. You have to remove soldiers from one squad first to add them to another squad. This has caused me to not use squad system at all. When I start a new campaign, I first deleted all squads and never create new ones again. Missions are a constant mix of available troops and the squad system is more in the way than useful (and it even punishes us for giving real ingame bonuses when the UI is so bad). Please improve this.

#4 When I add an officer to my team in mission launch screen, the game shows other officers in the list with warning Officer already assigned to mission (or something similar). That is cool except it also shows it for soldiers that are no available to send to mission (like injured ones or those training). Please improve this.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

archangel wrote:#3 As was mentioned above squad management is not good enough. You have to remove soldiers from one squad first to add them to another squad. This has caused me to not use squad system at all. When I start a new campaign, I first deleted all squads and never create new ones again. Missions are a constant mix of available troops and the squad system is more in the way than useful (and it even punishes us for giving real ingame bonuses when the UI is so bad). Please improve this.
This may just be a misunderstanding of how the system works, actually. You set up squads, but when you're outfitting a team for a mission, you can select the squad, then once you're at the load-out screen, you can then remove/add people as usual using the actual soldier slots. This makes a *temporary* change in the squad, any additions will be denoted by a "!" icon on the squad screen in the future, and anyone you leave behind from that squad will be available to join other teams, or perform AWC/Officer training, whatever.
archangel wrote:#4 When I add an officer to my team in mission launch screen, the game shows other officers in the list with warning Officer already assigned to mission (or something similar). That is cool except it also shows it for soldiers that are no available to send to mission (like injured ones or those training). Please improve this.
Re: Extra officers, I find it odd that you can add a second officer to a mission manually, but you cannot (at least as far as I can tell) under any circumstances add a second officer to a squad. Not sure for the reasoning behind this, oversight or intentional design.
archangel

Post by archangel »

seananigans wrote:
archangel wrote:#3 As was mentioned above squad management is not good enough. You have to remove soldiers from one squad first to add them to another squad. This has caused me to not use squad system at all. When I start a new campaign, I first deleted all squads and never create new ones again. Missions are a constant mix of available troops and the squad system is more in the way than useful (and it even punishes us for giving real ingame bonuses when the UI is so bad). Please improve this.
This may just be a misunderstanding of how the system works, actually. You set up squads, but when you're outfitting a team for a mission, you can select the squad, then once you're at the load-out screen, you can then remove/add people as usual using the actual soldier slots. This makes a *temporary* change in the squad, any additions will be denoted by a "!" icon on the squad screen in the future, and anyone you leave behind from that squad will be available to join other teams, or perform AWC/Officer training, whatever.
Yes, but game selects default squad automatically and when you click on empty slot list of soldiers that shows up has "this soldier belongs in another squad" and you cannot do anything there. You need to exit the Mission preparation screen, then go back to avenger screen, then click on squad management, then play around with squads and then go back to geoscape and back into mission screen.
I have not seen another way to do this easily.
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

archangel wrote:
seananigans wrote:
Yes, but game selects default squad automatically and when you click on empty slot list of soldiers that shows up has "this soldier belongs in another squad" and you cannot do anything there. You need to exit the Mission preparation screen, then go back to avenger screen, then click on squad management, then play around with squads and then go back to geoscape and back into mission screen.
I have not seen another way to do this easily.
There's a squad select area in the top right. You can either use the drop-down to select which squad to use, or you can click directly on the button to go to the squad management screen.
justdont

Post by justdont »

archangel wrote:Yes, but game selects default squad automatically and when you click on empty slot list of soldiers that shows up has "this soldier belongs in another squad" and you cannot do anything there.
"This soldier belongs in another squad" is just a warning and doesn't prevent you from doing any temporary pre-mission assignments.
It only restricts you from permanently reassigning a soldier to another squad without first removing him from his original squad.