defense "rebalance" in 1.2?

trihero

defense "rebalance" in 1.2?

Post by trihero »

At 21:40 xwynns says that "this is all going to be rebalanced soon" in reference to an officer with tact sense + defense resulting in point blank flanking 68% to hit o.O I wonder what the rebalance is, can't wait to see what the balance changes in 1.2 are with respect to mission distribution and this "aim rebalance."
Krosly

Re: defense "rebalance" in 1.2?

Post by Krosly »

I am ok with only being able to land 68% shot at point blank against Officers with anything but shotguns. I can understand cannons an rifles being hard to use in such close quarter combat. You could even argue that the ADVENT Officer could grab your gun or hit it to side with his "Tactical Sense" or what it was called if XCOM2 was real life. Shotguns however are supposed to be high risk high reward, they should be 100% shot at point blank flank and probably even 1 tile away due to shotgun having some spread.
xmd1997

Post by xmd1997 »

I can deal with the fact that it might be some time till we get 1.2. But I really wish the 1.2 CL were updated at least to reflect their current progress with the patch. Dont get me wrong, im sure they're working hard, but it would be nice to review some of the upcoming changes. :)
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

Is 1.2 going to break existing games? Just wondering.
trihero

Post by trihero »

xmd1997 wrote:I can deal with the fact that it might be some time till we get 1.2. But I really wish the 1.2 CL were updated at least to reflect their current progress with the patch. Dont get me wrong, im sure they're working hard, but it would be nice to review some of the upcoming changes. :)
I would really love to know as well what they're thinking about doing with saturation fire (joinrbs said they're nerfing it but I see no updates in that thread) and overall most importantly mission distribution (the symptom being 0% supply raids and solo shinobis, but the disease itself being not enough missions that encourage 5-6 man play)
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

The change list for 1.2 looks long enough already that my preference (for the little it is worth) is that they just QA it, get it out and leave the balance for 1.3, that way known bugs get fixed ASAP.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Ugh, I hate that ridiculous point blank miss crap to be frank.
Alketi

Post by Alketi »

Krosly wrote:I am ok with only being able to land 68% shot at point blank against Officers with anything but shotguns. I can understand cannons an rifles being hard to use in such close quarter combat. You could even argue that the ADVENT Officer could grab your gun or hit it to side with his "Tactical Sense" or what it was called if XCOM2 was real life. Shotguns however are supposed to be high risk high reward, they should be 100% shot at point blank flank and probably even 1 tile away due to shotgun having some spread.
So, why don't you similarly argue that an Officer with Tactical Sense could swat away a shotgun? What's the difference?

Personally I'm with the crowd that thinks 68% point blank is a horrible risk/reward to the player. There were other times in that video that Xavier had flank shots with similarly poor aim due to the enemy's high defense.

Tactical Sense should probably only work while in cover. If you're flanked or point blank, no added defense. Problem solved.
aimlessgun

Post by aimlessgun »

There are so many counters to tac sense though. You don't have to take low % shots against it. You can disorient/burn/stun to remove tac sense, or use one of the many damage sources that hit automatically. Isn't Archon/Gatekeeper innate defense much worse?
LoadStar81

Post by LoadStar81 »

aimlessgun wrote:There are so many counters to tac sense though. You don't have to take low % shots against it. You can disorient/burn/stun to remove tac sense, or use one of the many damage sources that hit automatically. Isn't Archon/Gatekeeper innate defense much worse?
I've not encountered Gatekeepers in LW2 yet, but the Archons are definitely a nightmare with their high defense value. There are a couple reliable ways to damage them without autohit, but if you don't have many/any of them when they show up, you're in for a rough time.

Snipers with stacked aim buffs
Rangers with Lock On and plenty of rounds to pour into them
Shinobi with Cutthroat
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

No, 1.2 is largely about fixing bugs. We're going to focus on various balance issues in future patches.
trihero

Post by trihero »

johnnylump wrote:No, 1.2 is largely about fixing bugs. We're going to focus on various balance issues in future patches.
Oh ouchy poo. Well guess I'll....cry in my corner until 1.3 comes out.
Arantir

Post by Arantir »

I think that close-range bonuses should be stronger in general. I actually tried some tweaks to make the aim bonuses work like non-linear red fog and it feels pretty good so far. viewtopic.php?t=24203
It would be quite nice to have a toggleable option for quadratic aim bonuses in the mod options when we actually get to the balancing part :)
archangel

Post by archangel »

johnnylump wrote:No, 1.2 is largely about fixing bugs. We're going to focus on various balance issues in future patches.
Eh, I guess I can plan the new Torment game while waiting for 1.3
Krosly

Post by Krosly »

Alketi wrote:
Krosly wrote:I am ok with only being able to land 68% shot at point blank against Officers with anything but shotguns. I can understand cannons an rifles being hard to use in such close quarter combat. You could even argue that the ADVENT Officer could grab your gun or hit it to side with his "Tactical Sense" or what it was called if XCOM2 was real life. Shotguns however are supposed to be high risk high reward, they should be 100% shot at point blank flank and probably even 1 tile away due to shotgun having some spread.
So, why don't you similarly argue that an Officer with Tactical Sense could swat away a shotgun? What's the difference?

Personally I'm with the crowd that thinks 68% point blank is a horrible risk/reward to the player. There were other times in that video that Xavier had flank shots with similarly poor aim due to the enemy's high defense.

Tactical Sense should probably only work while in cover. If you're flanked or point blank, no added defense. Problem solved.
Figured I would get this question. The purpose of the shotgun is to be as close as possible, its only job is to land flanking shots for huge damage at very close range, else I think it makes the assault class obsolete by the endgame. I rather have another Grazingfire/Walkfire Ranger that can hit the Officer late game in high cover (even on his first shot) with fire rounds than an Assault who at best could just stun the Officer. Thats why I would still be ok with 68% point blank flank - if shotguns were an exception to this. You are right there is no difference, a shotgun could just as well be swayed away as a rifle but I could understand shotgun not being consistent with this logic due to gameplay reasons.

Of course, I agree that it should only work while in cover and that every gun should be 100% at point blank because no matter how I try to cope with it with my "swaying the gun" example it just looks retarded when your Master Sergeant misses a point blank shot.