So what map packs work well with long war 2 (without having to alter timers)

LeaderEnemyBoss

So what map packs work well with long war 2 (without having to alter timers)

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

Hey everyone. Since LW2 has so many missions, I am really tempted to try out some of those sweet mappacks to get a bit more variety going. However I heard horror stories about unbeatable council missions due to maps being too large or the objective being basically unreachable. I also remember a vanilla hack the device mission on Marbozir's stream, where the objective was on the other end of a huge factory, behind a wall and on the second floor. I'm pretty sure a mission like this would be very hard to do had he not true concealment active.

Here is the thing: I dont want to modify timers, and I dont want to use true concealment. Is anyone of you similar to me and has experience with the different map packs out there? Which ones are a good, balanced fit? Which ones to avoid? Please not that advice from Commander/Legendary players is most valuable to me since Veteran/Rookie has a bit more lenient timers. Curious to see your advice ;)
wei270

Re: So what map packs work well with long war 2 (without having to alter timers)

Post by wei270 »

i have more map pack at first i wasn't use it as the have some very large maps but then after i adopted a more stealth ordinate approach i find the timers do able

also rush officers for intervention is almost necessary
Tuhalu

Re: So what map packs work well with long war 2 (without having to alter timers)

Post by Tuhalu »

The only map pack type mods I currently use are:
  • World Expansion Project: Advent
  • Dragon's Wilderness PCPs
These packs only include Parcels and PCPs (plot cover parcels), so they have little to no effect on timers. Quite a few of the other map packs include Map Plots, so I've been avoiding using those in LW2.

Doctor_Mandarbs_Map-Pack also only includes PCPs and Parcels, but it is still very new and may include issues that cause problems. Not the safest mod to use in an Ironman game or without console commands.

MGee's Maps seems to only include PCPs and Parcels, but some of those Parcels are quite huge and different (a warehouse, a highway full of vehicles, etc). It might be OK?

Even More PCPs seems cool, but has a bug where the game freezes on some City Center type maps, which precludes fully half the mod.

Most of the other map packs include some number of Map Plots, but I'm not sure which ones are balanced properly for LW2 Legendary play.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Honestly I think they're all good. Even Even More Maps - Suffer!. It's nice to encounter some extremely unvanilla maps.

"Council" missions have never seemed like a problem because in the early game you should just stealth run them and get out, and later you have the firepower to punch through.

That warehouse with the terminal in the second story office is epic. It's just too bad the LoS can be wonky.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

I'll plug Doctor Mandarb's Map Pack. As of this post it includes 84 City Center PCPs, 64 Slums PCPs, and 4 City Center Parcels. Doctor Mandarb has been updating the mod regularly and more content is planned.

It's hard to tell what is vanilla and what is Doctor Mandarb's.
Sir_Dr_D

Post by Sir_Dr_D »

Allowing the timer to scale according to map size, would be a real nice feature. But balancing with long war is probably harder then that. Stealth must be super easy on large maps as their would be less enemy density.