Ideas for balancing Oscar Mike > Command in rescue missions

wei270

Re: Ideas for balancing Oscar Mike > Command in rescue missions

Post by wei270 »

yeah i think we should leave oscar mike as it is the only other time i find it remotely usefull out side extraction is when i double buff my sword ninja with oscar mike and bring them on. even then it is meh lol so yeah other then takeing it compelety out of the game again lets buff other alternatives
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

I honestly feel that extraction cheese is the only good use of Oscar Mike because Focus Fire is way too good as a counter to those insane innate defense + Tac Sense guys who like to show up later on. I kinda feel like anything else vs. Focus Fire becomes a wasted perk, while Oscar Mike at least has a valid use.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

trihero wrote:I'm very afraid that the new smash and grab mission will only be a tiny bandaid on this; I forgot it was either xwynns or joinrbs who already commented it's kind of an ignorable mission if you're doing ok because the rewards aren't too hot.
Well there's a reason it's not in the game yet....

I would personally advise against drawing conclusions about how mechanics in progress will be balanced when released based on comments made by testers currently balancing those mechanics because they are not yet ready for release. ;)
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

trihero wrote:
NoDebate wrote:Instead of nerfing Oscar Mike into insignificance, why not adjust the mechanics of the mission?

For example, assign one pod to protect the holding cells, even a weak ADVENT pod would suffice. Apply to extracts and jailbreaks. Another idea, have the exfil point spawn after the VIP / prisoners are secured OR have ADVENT converge on the extract and introduce a mechanic that terminates existing extract if ADVENT is present in the zone (most complex solution).

Oscar Mike, if still considered "OP" should be moved deeper into the tree, ideally at Captain or Major. Opposing Jammer or Collector would make an Oscar Mike Officer less useful outside stealth missions.
According to xwynns video, oscar mike actually used to be higher up on the tree and was opposing something else, and no one ever picked oscar mike back then. The grass is always greener, yes? :D
Wasn't command range shorter back then as well? Classic domino effect.
Stroggus

Post by Stroggus »

Just stopping by to throw my 2 cents.

IMHO Oscar Mike is a trash perk overall. To balance it up I`d make it reusable with 3 turns KD, or couple charges but free action.

To balance things out for jailbreaks - limit it`s use on civilians. We can`t use ghost grenades on civs, since they "didn`t go to special training in concealment" or something like that. Well, they didn`t go to military training either so restrict them from benefiting from the officer abilities. And there you go, now OM will have use other than cheesing rescue VIPs.