What do MKII and MKIII refer to exactly?

marceror

What do MKII and MKIII refer to exactly?

Post by marceror »

I've noticed these designations on the Wiki, and in Xavier's Let's Play. But I've never seen anything to explain what they are exactly. Stronger versions of enemies I guess, but is that it? It there more detail available about them anywhere?
trihero

Re: What do MKII and MKIII refer to exactly?

Post by trihero »

example is

Advent Officer (MKI)
Advanced Advent Officer (MKII)
Elite Advent Officer (MKIII)

Unfortunately I do not know of any website that has nicely laid out information for LW2 mobs. The main things that go up are hp, will, and damage. Sometimes aim/defense goes up a little bit. MKIII seems to get an armor point for certain mobs.

The Perfect Information mod lets you see the full stats of enemies you hover over.

The one mob that actually gets a different ability and not just stats as it goes up in MK is the grenadier; he starts with flashbangs at MKI but goes up to incendiary grenades against you at MKII and MKIII.
marceror

Post by marceror »

trihero wrote:example is

Advent Officer (MKI)
Advanced Advent Officer (MKII)
Elite Advent Officer (MKIII)

Unfortunately I do not know of any website that has nicely laid out information for LW2 mobs. The main things that go up are hp, will, and damage. Sometimes aim/defense goes up a little bit. MKIII seems to get an armor point for certain mobs.

The Perfect Information mod lets you see the full stats of enemies you hover over.

The one mob that actually gets a different ability and not just stats as it goes up in MK is the grenadier; he starts with flashbangs at MKI but goes up to incendiary grenades against you at MKII and MKIII.
This is quite helpful just for a general understanding. I had no idea that the grenadier was meant as an upgrade to the engineer, for example. And I guess that a scout would be MKI, but a guardian is perhaps MKII? At any rate, helpful to at least know what the general concept refers to. Thanks again trihero.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Units with special names are a little confusing, yeah. The Guardian is actually a tier 2 (or 3? But I think 2) Sentry I believe, the Scout being a different unit that is introduced a little while into the campaign.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Oh uh yeah

engineer -> grenadier -> heavy grenadier

sentry -> guardian -> sentinel (these guys have rapid reaction for sure, maybe guardians too)

scout is different than sentry/guardian/sentinel line; I don't remember the name that tells you the difference between the marks (probably just advanced/elite) but it's just mostly an hp thing. Scouts have lone wolf and shadow step, and they can move a bit further and have better detection range than regular advent.

I have absolutely no clue what advent shock troopers (purple cloaks) do except have high movement and aim.

Advent commandos have evasive (100% to graze the first time they are hit). I *think* advent vanguards are a mark II or III version of these. The names are really confusing after a while.

Then there's like the advent sergeant/first sergeant line. Maybe vanguard is the third tier? I'm clueless.

Other obvious examples of MKI/II/III are

viper / viper serpens / viper elite (elite have lightning reflexes)
naja / naja serpens / naja elite (no clue if there are special abilities here, these are the "snipey" snakes)
sidewinder / sidewinder serpens / sidewinder elite (all have shadowstep, at some point they get hit and run, these are "flanky" snakes)
mec / heavy mec / superheavy mec
marceror

Post by marceror »

Right, I meant sentry rather than scout. It's a bit hard to keep them all straight still.
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

hobbes on ufopaedia has done some great work laying out the stats of the various mk1/2/3 guys here:
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php/ADVENT_Unit_Stats_(LW2)

note they will likely have more HP when you meet them in practice due to the tactical dark events