noise table and info?

mr_j936

noise table and info?

Post by mr_j936 »

I remember I once found a table showing each weapon and how far its sound travels. I can't seem to find it again. Can anyone provide me with that info?

Also, do grenades from grenade launchers and rockets make sound from the point of exit or do they make the sound from where they end up landing?
RXTXK

Re: noise table and info?

Post by RXTXK »

RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

I've also heard talk that suppressors reduce weapon sound range and that some items generate sound from the player location rather than the the explosion location.

People also talk about rockets being very loud, but that table does seems to put it only at a few more tiles over grenades.
3tamatulg

Post by 3tamatulg »

Wow, I didn't know Shaped Charge was so loud.

Has anyone tried using a Rookie with one as a $20 map-wide mimic beacon?
mr_j936

Post by mr_j936 »

Lol that's terrible and inhumane :lol:
On a serious note though, most missions are not even worth 20 supplies.

Also, thanks for the link RXTXK that was the link I had then lost.
Kharneth

Post by Kharneth »

mr_j936 wrote:

Well, if you have the continent bonus or in mid/late game when you have free rookies in your barracks due to POI and rescue missions without possibilities of train to mach your roster level it only cost 10 supplies... :twisted:

I think is a great idea, going to try it, I know, I'm cruel :lol:
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

What exactly is the significance of the items on this table with a range of "0 tiles"? Isn't that basically nothing?

If a grenade launcher fires in the woods and no one is within 0 tiles to hear it, does it make a sound?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Kharneth wrote:
mr_j936 wrote:

Well, if you have the continent bonus or in mid/late game when you have free rookies in your barracks due to POI and rescue missions without possibilities of train to mach your roster level it only cost 10 supplies... :twisted:

Don't make me add a karma variable.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

SouthpawHare wrote:What exactly is the significance of the items on this table with a range of "0 tiles"? Isn't that basically nothing?

If a grenade launcher fires in the woods and no one is within 0 tiles to hear it, does it make a sound?
I believe that's the grenade launcher itself being effectively silent. The grenade where it impacts, not so much.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

johnnylump wrote:
Kharneth wrote:Well, if you have the continent bonus or in mid/late game when you have free rookies in your barracks due to POI and rescue missions without possibilities of train to mach your roster level it only cost 10 supplies... :twisted:

Do it!
mr_j936

Post by mr_j936 »

Jacke wrote:
johnnylump wrote:
Kharneth wrote:Well, if you have the continent bonus or in mid/late game when you have free rookies in your barracks due to POI and rescue missions without possibilities of train to mach your roster level it only cost 10 supplies... :twisted:

Do it!
Actually... This can be worked in somehow. If a soldier dies in a mission every other soldier on that mission gets a permanent 1 will loss to their stats, and every flawless mission gives +1 will to all soldiers in the squad. And it can be so more death are more punishing to the other squad mates (because long war 2 is not impossibly hard as it is :lol: actually, to me it is :| , it really really is :cry: )
trihero

Post by trihero »

Also, do grenades from grenade launchers and rockets make sound from the point of exit or do they make the sound from where they end up landing?
Based on the "upcoming 1.3 notes" at the top of this forum, the current way things work is the noise is from the point of exit (where the soldier is who launches it), and they are going to change this in 1.3 to be where they end up landing.

This should effectively be a nerf to explosives in general, since you will be more likely to attract enemies when the explosive generates noise from point of impact.
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

Also wierdly a boost to shotguns relativly speaking, as they won't be the only close to the front and loud thing, they will now have friends.
steave

Post by steave »

trihero wrote:
Based on the "upcoming 1.3 notes" at the top of this forum, the current way things work is the noise is from the point of exit (where the soldier is who launches it), and they are going to change this in 1.3 to be where they end up landing.

This should effectively be a nerf to explosives in general, since you will be more likely to attract enemies when the explosive generates noise from point of impact.
Or a boost because they can be properly used as distractions. For example:
You're on a stealth jailbreak, but there is a pod in the prison room. It would be too dangerous to use a grenade distraction to pull them away right now because they'd go to the soldier and kill him, but now you can throw it from a roof or over a building so that you can not be seen from the noise location.
Kharneth

Post by Kharneth »

I make a test, and something goes wrong or a I don't think the system works at all.
Vip extraction mission, use two shinobis, one goes with the vip on a side and another with a shaped charge in the opposite side of the map...
I use the explosive and the aliens enter in yellow alert, yes. But they run directly to the vip instead to the soldier that use the explosive in the other side., all of them where out of the alien vision
Really weird, as long I can see from this and other test the sound system only works for atrack attention to X com but the source of the noise not matter at all
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Kharneth wrote:I make a test, and something goes wrong or a I don't think the system works at all.
Vip extraction mission, use two shinobis, one goes with the vip on a side and another with a shaped charge in the opposite side of the map...
I use the explosive and the aliens enter in yellow alert, yes. But they run directly to the vip instead to the soldier that use the explosive in the other side., all of them where out of the alien vision
Really weird, as long I can see from this and other test the sound system only works for atrack attention to X com but the source of the noise not matter at all
I've not been able to test, but if this is the Extract VIP from City mission, where the VIP is not concealed, I think this comes from having activated enemy pods. Activated enemy roughly know which way to go to get closer to unconcealed friendlies. Which means even if out of LOS, they know about where the Shinobi who used the shaped charge is and where the VIP is. And they prioritize the VIP as a target.

What I think needs to be done is make a loud noise without activating any enemy pods. The ones that hear the noise will go on yellow alert and move towards where they heard the noise. But if they see any unconcealed friendlies, they'll activate and then pursue the VIP.

I think you need a squad of 3 with 2 Shinobis and 1 other troop as the bomber with the shaped charge. A Shinobi each scouts for the VIP and the bomber so they stay out of sight of the pods. The bomber detonates the charge in such a way not to be seen by a pod. Then each pair is lead by the Shinobi in such a way not to activate any pods, which should be on yellow alert and moving towards where the charge was detonated.

It's going to be tough to pull off, especially if there's more than the minimum of ADVENT on the map.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

Jacke wrote:I think you need a squad of 3 with 2 Shinobis and 1 other troop as the bomber with the shaped charge. A Shinobi each scouts for the VIP and the bomber so they stay out of sight of the pods. The bomber detonates the charge in such a way not to be seen by a pod. Then each pair is lead by the Shinobi in such a way not to activate any pods, which should be on yellow alert and moving towards where the charge was detonated.

It's going to be tough to pull off, especially if there's more than the minimum of ADVENT on the map.
Why not just use a shinobi with Conceal as the bomber, and have them use conceal afterwards?
Kharneth

Post by Kharneth »

The pods wasn't active, the vip was out of vision and the shinoby with the charge too. The other shinoby in conceal is the guy with vision to the enemies. The pods didn't activate when use the charge, because they don't see anybody. They enter in yellow alert and run for the vip instead of the noise
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Kharneth wrote:The pods wasn't active, the vip was out of vision and the shinoby with the charge too. The other shinoby in conceal is the guy with vision to the enemies. The pods didn't activate when use the charge, because they don't see anybody. They enter in yellow alert and run for the vip instead of the noise
That sounds like a bug. Perhaps you should report it in the Bug forum.