Improving item selection and troop management

Undershaft

Improving item selection and troop management

Post by Undershaft »

All in all, the whole squad select process is *very* clunky at the moment. I basically check every detail on every soldier before going on a mission. You ususally have to juggle armor, weapons, utility items and upgrades so much that it might actually be less time consuming to start with a completely blank slate every time (exaggerating a little bit here, of course - but not all that much!). Once you've ever pressed a "remove all" button, you have to become paranoid about equipment, or else, sooner or later, you'll find your best ranger bringing a standard rifle to a hard mission through oversight, or your best grenadier carrying regular grenades instead of plasma ones.

So I guess there's still room for improvement, even though there probably is only so much you can do as a modder on the less than ideal basis of the original game.

Two first ideas:
- Adding a "lock" button for each item slot to keep it from ever being emptied automatically.
- Adding "set default equipment" and "restore default equipment" buttons for each soldier, making the game try to auto-fill as much of your preferred choices as possible and maybe marking slots in red that couldn't be filled.
Jacke

Re: Improving item selection and troop management

Post by Jacke »

There are a number of mods that can improve the information available in different screens. Especially on the squad deployment select, if you add a number of them, some of them you may have to adjust so their display elements done overlap. I use these.

ShowMeThePersonel
LW2: ShowMeTheSkills Revived
Show Enemies on Mission Planning
Make all Items Available & Remove Unused Upgrades
Upgrade Reminder
Weapon Upgrade Indicators

There was a post about adjusting the last two here.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 621#p27621