Why are they called "Tubes"?

SouthpawHare

Why are they called "Tubes"?

Post by SouthpawHare »

I've seen a lot of people referring to the various training stations in base builds as "tubes". i.e. put the soldiers into tubes to train. Why is this? I always assumed that they were just regular classroom areas in regular rooms - you can see a little instruction school area in the GTS. I'm not super sure where people go in the AWC, since it looks full up with nothing but medical beds; maybe there's more depth to the Avenger on the other side of the background wall?

In any event, I don't call any sort of lore that the soldiers are learning their skills from being in some sort of pods or containers. Am I missing something? Or is this an elaborate joke or meme of some sort?
Last edited by SouthpawHare on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightwyrm

Re: Why are they called "Tubes"?

Post by nightwyrm »

I assume it's a holdover from EW where you make genemod soldiers from putting them in a vat (tube) of orange goo.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

nightwyrm wrote:I assume it's a holdover from EW where you make genemod soldiers from putting them in a vat (tube) of orange goo.
I see. That makes sense.

I never actually ended up doing much with MELD, since my only experience with the EW expansion content was through Long War 1, and it took fifty billion pounds of the stuff, give or take, to do much with it. I recall putting people in that vat a few times, though.
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

As a side-note, does anyone actually know where the soldiers learning in the AWC do supposedly go? It visually looks like purely a MedBay, and I assume they don't just sit in the biggest, fanciest bed and download their new skill...
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

SouthpawHare wrote:As a side-note, does anyone actually know where the soldiers learning in the AWC do supposedly go? It visually looks like purely a MedBay, and I assume they don't just sit in the biggest, fanciest bed and download their new skill...
Tygan says it's classified. Anyone who's been through AWC training can't remember, but afterwards they feel...oddly sore. Perhaps best they don't know.
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

SouthpawHare wrote:As a side-note, does anyone actually know where the soldiers learning in the AWC do supposedly go? It visually looks like purely a MedBay, and I assume they don't just sit in the biggest, fanciest bed and download their new skill...
It's a VR system. If you click to upgrade the AWC to get the second station it mentions this.
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Thrair »

Devon_v wrote:
It's a VR system. If you click to upgrade the AWC to get the second station it mentions this.
Yeah. They enter a sim with Tygan, and he asks if they think that's air they're breathing.
Raven496

Post by Raven496 »

Thrair wrote:
Devon_v wrote:
Yeah. They enter a sim with Tygan, and he asks if they think that's air they're breathing.
roflmao...
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

There are a number of regular beds around the chamber, and then one "bed" with some sort of enclosed cover in the middle. Based on the VR reference (discussed above) and the general fan use of the term "tubes" and "pods," I had always assumed that middle bed was a VR training pod (sort of like a tanning bed, but useful.)
marceror

Post by marceror »

Steve-O wrote:
There are a number of regular beds around the chamber, and then one "bed" with some sort of enclosed cover in the middle. Based on the VR reference (discussed above) and the general fan use of the term "tubes" and "pods," I had always assumed that middle bed was a VR training pod (sort of like a tanning bed, but useful.)
That middle bed is where a soldier goes when they are being retrained. Maybe something similar for AWC would make sense storywise.