My humble input on the Blacksite mission

aceone

My humble input on the Blacksite mission

Post by aceone »

Hello All,

In this mission i spent several hours and several attempts , before finally complete it.

Just by guessing and intuition, i eventually found out that there must be a hidden timer before unlimited enemies starts to spawn.

I think this is a problem and needs to be solved.

For example a note at the beginning of the mission(or when you break concealment) that soon MASSIVE reinforcements are about to arrive and that you have to hurry!

Without hurrying it is a suicide mission.

I play on commander/ironman and honestly without cheating i would have several squads wiped out before realising what is going on.

Best regards
SouthpawHare

Re: My humble input on the Blacksite mission

Post by SouthpawHare »

Wow, I am just about to launch this mission for the first time in my Ironman campaign. Thanks for the heads up!

...and yeah, it would be nice if I didn't have to be a regular forum-goer to have found this out.
ridan

Post by ridan »

Hmm blacksite isnt that the one were U are supposed to steal the Vial?
Just send a shin in and you can basicly solo it without any bigger issue at al. Reinforce never started before stealing for me.
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

ridan wrote:Hmm blacksite isnt that the one were U are supposed to steal the Vial?
Just send a shin in and you can basicly solo it without any bigger issue at al. Reinforce never started before stealing for me.
This works way too well though and I hope this is nerfed. You can get right to the via before breaking concealment, and then get to evac in one move using a booster item or grapple. Even if you get unlucky and you can't, you re-conceal and just do it in two. It seems crazy risky to send a full squad when you can just solo Shinobi the blacksite instead: higher chance of success, and if you do happen to fail, you only lose one troop anyway.
Elder_Basilisk

Post by Elder_Basilisk »

I don't mind that you can stealth the blacksite mission. Maybe it should be harder (a hackable lock on the back door would require a demo charge or hack which would break conceal and make it a bit harder assuming a sectopod doesn't just randomly walk through the wall like it did on mine). But if you are sending a team to reconnoiter a mystery site and maybe steal some research materials, you'd probably send spies rather than a full tactical team. So stealthing it makes sense thematically.
Sines

Post by Sines »

Elder_Basilisk wrote:I don't mind that you can stealth the blacksite mission. Maybe it should be harder (a hackable lock on the back door would require a demo charge or hack which would break conceal and make it a bit harder assuming a sectopod doesn't just randomly walk through the wall like it did on mine). But if you are sending a team to reconnoiter a mystery site and maybe steal some research materials, you'd probably send spies rather than a full tactical team. So stealthing it makes sense thematically.
Well, not really. You have every reason to believe this is a heavily fortified site that you would need to fight through. Would a couple of trip lasers on the doors to room with the vial be so much to ask? Perhaps guards stationed immediately around the vial at all times? I mean, thematically, ADVENT soldiers are not free willed. If you tell them to stand around a spot vigilantly watching for attackers at all times, while using their own bodies as one more barrier to the safeguarded object, then they'll do it. They won't get distracted or bored, because they're little more than biological robots.

Besides, in the original game, this is one of the more heavily fortified missions. And as a story mission, you would expect it to play out as something more impressive than a longer than usual jailbreak guerilla ops. While the mission shouldn't encourage a massive squad as Supply Raids and HQ Assaults do, I think having it on the opposite end of the bell curve isn't ideal either.
aceone

Post by aceone »

Well, to be honest, the blacksite mission is UNKNOWN type mission.

If you take that into consideration, it is by commander choice to decide whether to send the best squad (since you expect enything) , or a single recon/syealth unit.

I for example prefer to send a full squad , it `feels` more right according to story lore...

Anyway, a warning at the beginning as a clue to hurry up, it would be enough for me.

regards
RXTXK

Post by RXTXK »

I think once you get the vial out the massive rnf's stop, I did this mission as a hybrid, the team killed most stuff while someone snuck round the back to get the vial.
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

Stealthing should be an option to complete the mission, but not something you can send one Shinobi on. It should require like a combination of objectives that would impossible solo. Like maybe you have to do a hack to open a door, Kill a VIP, and grab the vial, in a layout where you essentially need three soldiers to do it in one risky turn and get away.
aceone

Post by aceone »

RXTXK wrote:I think once you get the vial out the massive rnf's stop, I did this mission as a hybrid, the team killed most stuff while someone snuck round the back to get the vial.
I confirm this is NOT the case.

As a matter of fact, as I stealed the vial and prepped for evac. i waited until the start of massive reinforcements.

They start at 28 turns(probably 28 turns timer is from breaking concealment)