Advent Visions

oesis

Advent Visions

Post by oesis »

I was under the impression Advent could lose vision of your troops. As long as they could see none of them. However After hiding all my units in fog, with no advent sight, I got rocketed with no advent forces seeing my units. Does advent retain vision of units for a turn or something after you hide your units?
Manifest

Re: Advent Visions

Post by Manifest »

oesis wrote:I was under the impression Advent could lose vision of your troops. As long as they could see none of them. However After hiding all my units in fog, with no advent sight, I got rocketed with no advent forces seeing my units. Does advent retain vision of units for a turn or something after you hide your units?
They shouldn't but skills like rockets and viper spit can. Apparently it was fixed in 1.2 but it has very complex issues I'm assuming.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

oesis wrote:I was under the impression Advent could lose vision of your troops. As long as they could see none of them. However After hiding all my units in fog, with no advent sight, I got rocketed with no advent forces seeing my units. Does advent retain vision of units for a turn or something after you hide your units?
They CAN lose sight of your troops even if you're no longer concealed, however, activated units do not "de-activate" and go back to patrolling just because they lost sight of you.

For example, there was one mission where I got into an early fire-fight with one pod, but managed to kill them all without triggering any new pods. My soldiers were out of concealment (except for the shinobi), but the remaining alien pods on the map were still patrolling in "yellow alert" mode. I used the shinobi to scout ahead and find the unactivated pods, and with the rest of my soliders I advanced carefully, not stepping into alien LoS until I was ready to engage. They continued patrolling quietly until I pulled them. (I tracked whether or not they could see where my unconcealed soldiers wanted to move to by using the "has LoS" crosshairs that appear beside an enemy unit's health bar if the solider I have selected can see them, and made a point of staying far enough away from all known aliens that those crosshairs weren't visible on anyone.)

However, once a pod has activated (and the units scatter to cover) they will remain active and advance to attack you even if you pull back "into the fog." It's entirely possible that the ADVENT unit with the rocket found a place where he could see you but you couldn't see him, just on the edge of the Fog of War. (Also note that I'm fairly certain the automated turrets have squadsight. I've seen them shooting out of the Fog of War when another ADVENT unit has LoS to the targeted solider.)
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Steve-O wrote:It's entirely possible that the ADVENT unit with the rocket found a place where he could see you but you couldn't see him, just on the edge of the Fog of War. (Also note that I'm fairly certain the automated turrets have squadsight. I've seen them shooting out of the Fog of War when another ADVENT unit has LoS to the targeted solider.)
I've never seen a rocketeer use the rocket after moving (i guess they have the same scatter issues we have) and even when an advent soldier moves at the edge of the fog and avoids triggering overwatches, i've never had an "invisible" soldier fire at me. I rather suspect it's the bug mentioned by Manifest. There is a buggy behavior on some abilities (not normal shots). Poison spits can even target soldiers who were never seen by any alien and through totally solid objects like roofs or windowless walls (not sure whether a rocket can do the same or not).