Dead or Captured?

Maebalzurakin

Dead or Captured?

Post by Maebalzurakin »

I have seen people talk about soldiers getting captured. I have not had it happen to me yet.

How is someone captured? How do you know it happened?

I just finished a mission where the last person headed to evac got shot and was bleeding out. The mission ended with the summary saying 1 soldier was killed. There isn't a line for captured.

I am wondering now if they actually died or were captured and I will be able to rescue them in a future mission.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Re: Dead or Captured?

Post by Tanalbi »

Maebalzurakin wrote:I have seen people talk about soldiers getting captured. I have not had it happen to me yet.

I just finished a mission where the last person headed to evac got shot and was bleeding out. The mission ended with the summary saying 1 soldier was killed. There isn't a line for captured.

I am wondering now if they actually died or were captured and I will be able to rescue them in a future mission.
It's like in Enemy Withing Long War with the "Exhaustion" thing (When you send a fatigued soldier into battle, it later counts as Wounded, not Exhausted)

During a retreat, leave a soldier behind, dead or alive (And not carried away by another soldier back to the Skyranger) in the battlefield, it counts as a MIA (Missin in Action) or captured, no matter if the briefing it says it is KIA
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
Maebalzurakin

Post by Maebalzurakin »

Noganeto1 wrote:
During a retreat, leave a soldier behind, dead or alive (And not carried away by another soldier back to the Skyranger) in the battlefield, it counts as a MIA (Missin in Action) or captured, no matter if the briefing it says it is KIA
So if my soldier is captured and not KIA, then I rescue them in some future mission, then they get KIA again, do they get two pictures on the memorial wall? :lol:
seananigans

Post by seananigans »

To be clear, if you end a mission with a soldier bleeding out somewhere, he will 100% die.

Soldiers are only captured if they're alive and healthy and the mission ends, but they don't manage to evac. So if he/she is up on your memorial wall, he/she is dead. If you do ever manage to leave someone healthy behind, I've found LW2 tends to offer you a chance to rescue them pretty quickly and/or regularly. They also come back with all of their gear they had on them.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

seananigans wrote:To be clear, if you end a mission with a soldier bleeding out somewhere, he will 100% die.

Soldiers are only captured if they're alive and healthy and the mission ends, but they don't manage to evac. So if he/she is up on your memorial wall, he/she is dead. If you do ever manage to leave someone healthy behind, I've found LW2 tends to offer you a chance to rescue them pretty quickly and/or regularly. They also come back with all of their gear they had on them.
Wait wait wait. So you're saying that in Long War 2, whenever i casually leave a soldier behind (For some weird reason)... i can rescue him on another mission later?
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
Elder_Basilisk

Post by Elder_Basilisk »

I wouldn't say casually leave soldiers behind. He could show up as a rescuee on a mission with no time to infiltrate or in a strength 10 region or during a vigilance/faceless infiltrators dark event two-fer.
Hellaki

Post by Hellaki »

Maebalzurakin wrote:I have seen people talk about soldiers getting captured. I have not had it happen to me yet.

On a mission with a fixed timer and extract, any soldier who fails to reach the evac zone in time, but is not bleeding out, would be captured. This means that unconscious, mind-controlled and stunned/panicking soldiers are captured, as well as healthy soldiers who were just too slow - but bleeding out soldiers die (ADVENT do not stabilize XCOM soldiers).

On any other mission where you extract, once all 'active' soldiers have left the mission, any soldier who is unconscious or mind controlled is captured. If a soldier is bleeding out he dies. For stunned/panicking units left in the mission zone, the mission will continue until the soldier is killed, escapes to the evac zone, or is rendered unconscious/mind-controlled (i.e. stunned/panicking units are still considered 'active', and the mission does not end).

If a soldier is captured, it will say so in the mission debrief screen, and you should get an opportunity to rescue them.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

Should soldiers in Bleed Out be captured instead of killed at mission end? I don't know that ADVENT would be the type to stabilize a terrorist and haul them off to lock-up but, it certainly would create more stories of springing loose your comrades.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

EDIT: sorry, double post
Last edited by nmkaplan on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

NoDebate wrote:Should soldiers in Bleed Out be captured instead of killed at mission end? I don't know that ADVENT would be the type to stabilize a terrorist and haul them off to lock-up but, it certainly would create more stories of springing loose your comrades.
I believe there is a mod called "Merciful Advent" that does exactly what you're suggesting.

It changes the game behavior so that soldiers who are left behind while bleeding out are captured rather than killed.
NoDebate

Post by NoDebate »

nmkaplan wrote:
NoDebate wrote:Should soldiers in Bleed Out be captured instead of killed at mission end? I don't know that ADVENT would be the type to stabilize a terrorist and haul them off to lock-up but, it certainly would create more stories of springing loose your comrades.
I believe there is a mod called "Merciful Advent" that does exactly what you're suggesting.

It changes the game behavior so that soldiers who are left behind while bleeding out are captured rather than killed.
As of 1.1, it was non-functioning with LW2 (to my knowledge). I don't believe it has been updated since then.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

NoDebate wrote:As of 1.1, it was non-functioning with LW2 (to my knowledge). I don't believe it has been updated since then.
Merciful Advent is also reported to conflict with BleedOutMod, which I'd rather have.

And from watching xwynns' videos, I believe LW2 incorporates the effects of Merciful Advent. He had a Shinobi leading out a VIP when the VIP got kills outright. And the turn after his Shinobi got found and then shot down. Reported KIA. And showed up a while later as a VIP in a Jailbreak mission.

You can always check the Memorial after the battle. If a KIA soldier isn't up in the Memorial, they got captured and may show up as a VIP to recover.