Advent HQ is the best mission in either LW2 or Vanilla

Alketi

Advent HQ is the best mission in either LW2 or Vanilla

Post by Alketi »

First, kudos to the entire LW team. As much as some of us complain about the issues we'd like to see improved, LW2 has brought me back to XCOM and exceeded Vanilla in so many ways. I also LOVE the Coil weapons so much I think Plasma should have been removed the game, as they're such a letdown by comparison. Fantastic design and artwork!

Secondly, I LOVE the Advent HQ missions. After so much constant reinforcement spam and timer pressure, it's a glorious mission of extreme difficulty plus self-pacing plus great rewards. They're perfect.

I mention this because I'd love to see these mission characteristics expanded to encompass other missions, such as Blacksites.

Currently, there's zero incentive to fight your way through a Blacksite. Considering the enemy counts, there's incredible risk, there's no loot, and there's a hidden reinforcement timer. Xavier stealths them all with two soldiers. It seems that 1.3 will attempt to make stealth more difficult by dropping a pod on the objective, but to Xavier's natural luck this new group contained a Sectopod that walked through every outer wall and made his particular run even easier. Others will likely find a different experience.

Maybe it's too much of a change, but I'd love to see Blacksites provide both the Advent HQ "experience" as well as the rewards. This would mean something like the following:

1. Difficult enemies (likely similar to current design)
2. Self-pacing (no hidden reinforcement timer)
3. Corpse rewards

Then, stealthing can be made more difficult or even impossible as players will have incentive from both the rewards as well as the enjoyable "HQ experience" of fighting their way through the entire map.

Just my .02.