Baseline mission activity and XP

Nibelung44

Baseline mission activity and XP

Post by Nibelung44 »

Hi,

Can someone confirm that mission XP is only based on the baseline number of enemies?
Goldenmonkey

Re: Baseline mission activity and XP

Post by Goldenmonkey »

I'll raise you a question.
Can someone give a description or point me in the direction where I can read a detailled explanation about what gives how much xp?
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Soldiers_(LW2)

No exact math, though.

So, no, XP is earned mainly by enemy numbers, but not solely.
Nibelung44

Post by Nibelung44 »

so that's the actual number of troops you can potentially meet that gives XP number?

i.e if I infiltrate against 15 advent and not 9, then I get more XP? I'm speaking without killing any.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Soldier XP is based on a combination of the number of aliens on the map and the number of aliens killed.

Killing an alien gives you 1 xp. This can be increased to 1.33xp with the Wet Work GTS Tactic. If the mission is a failure this will be cut in half. This xp is awarded to the soldier who gets the kill.

You also get xp for free just for having the alien spawn, assuming you complete the mission. In general this is worth 5.7 xp, but for some classes it can be up to 5.9xp. This xp is not awarded if you fail the mission. Also the xp is shared equally across each of the soldiers on the mission with a cap of 1/3 per soldier.

For example if you fight a mission with 20 aliens and have 5 soldiers, each soldier will be given 4 * 5.7 (22.8) kills worth of xp.

Another example if you take 2 soldiers on a 12 alien mission, each soldier will get credit for 4 aliens not 6 because of the 1/3 cap.

It takes 276/304/318/332 XP to reach MSGT for each of the respective difficulties.

Assuming you kill no aliens with a given soldier, which is quite possible, that soldier will need to be on missions that spawn between 146/160/168/175 aliens to reach MSGT. Given an average Extermely light stealth mission of 8 aliens this would mean your soldier reaches MSGT after 19/20/21/22 missions.
Nibelung44

Post by Nibelung44 »

Thanks much ChrisB. So just one confirmation, this is the actual number of aliens encountered that gives the base mission xp tally, not the baseline activity.

Meaning that if you want more xp, you are better to sneak at 100% and not 200% as it will reduce number of aliens. I understand there will be more risk, yes.

And pushing the reasoning further, if you can manage to perform a sneaky mission at 50% infiltration, you get even more XP...
I'm not sure we should get that really.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Thats basically right ya. Infiltrating to 200% can reduce the alien count by around 5-6 down to the minimum of 7-9.

As for stealthing at < 100%, especially as low as 50%, your almost guaranteed to be spotted. The detection radius gets rather large, even with SMG + Covert, and you can only Ghostwalker so much of the map. I've tried doing low % stealth infil just for fun, never really managed to pull it off, the detection range + towers + lone drones + multiple pods is just too much. You get pinned down and the timer runs out on you.