Hunters/Ionic/Fusion axe bugged?

dstar3k

Hunters/Ionic/Fusion axe bugged?

Post by dstar3k »

I did the math; unless I missed something (and assuming that average damage is indeed the arithmetic mean of the range), then assuming an enemy with a defense of 0 a Fusion Axe does somewhere between .17 (for a Squaddie Shinobi) and .37 (for a Msgt Shinobi) points of damage per attack more than a Fusion Blade after taking into account relative hit chances.

Given that, I can't see any reason to upgrade to a fusion axe unless maybe the extra 95 supplies and 8 alloys are worth less to you than the 3 elerium crystals and 1 elirium core. I... _maybe_ can see that? But for something you can only have one of....

Is it possible that the axe wasn't meant to have a flat +15 aim bonus, but was instead meant to have 5 less aim than the sword (so +20/+25 for the higher tiers)? Or does it have some other advantage that isn't obvious and isn't mentioned on ufopedia? (Like, I dunno... um... having a two space range, or... um... a penalty to dodge, or... that's all I can think of, actually.)
nightwyrm

Re: Hunters/Ionic/Fusion axe bugged?

Post by nightwyrm »

For me, in the late game Supplies isn't an issue, E. Cores and especially Archon corpses are much rarer. Also, the free action range attack of the axe can be big on a clutch turn.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

nightwyrm wrote:For me, in the late game Supplies isn't an issue, E. Cores and especially Archon corpses are much rarer. Also, the free action range attack of the axe can be big on a clutch turn.
Free action range?
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

dstar3k wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:For me, in the late game Supplies isn't an issue, E. Cores and especially Archon corpses are much rarer. Also, the free action range attack of the axe can be big on a clutch turn.
Free action range?
Yeah...you can throw the axe as a free action....that's like the best thing about it.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

nightwyrm wrote:
dstar3k wrote:
Free action range?
Yeah...you can throw the axe as a free action....that's like the best thing about it.
....ah. That would fall in the 'other advantage' category. How far can you throw it?
nightwyrm

Post by nightwyrm »

dstar3k wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:
dstar3k wrote:
Free action range?
....ah. That would fall in the 'other advantage' category. How far can you throw it?
I've always been able to throw it to any target I can shoot.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

nightwyrm wrote:
dstar3k wrote:
nightwyrm wrote:
I've always been able to throw it to any target I can shoot.
....wow. Holy shit. Okay, yeah, that's a _huge_ 'other advantage' that really ought to be mentioned _VERY EXPLICITLY_, unless I've just somehow missed it since I was assuming it was a melee weapon.
marceror

Post by marceror »

I thought it was mentioned. You get 2 axes. One is for throwing, the other for hacking.
Aeletzio

Post by Aeletzio »

So the big green button that sais'' throw axe'' didnt tip you off at the bottom of the screen? :P
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

dstar3k wrote: ....wow. Holy shit. Okay, yeah, that's a _huge_ 'other advantage' that really ought to be mentioned _VERY EXPLICITLY_, unless I've just somehow missed it since I was assuming it was a melee weapon.
Every axe have always had this ability since Vanilla XCom2 release of Alien Hunters DLC so i guess it was assumed everyone knew of it by now ;)
SouthpawHare

Post by SouthpawHare »

I'm all but positive that it's said somewhere, either in the description and/or in Bradford's voice-over explaining it.
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

The avatar that represents me personally in-game carries this axe. I try to remember to use the throw attack in every battle as the free attack action is a pretty hefty bonus which I strive to use at an opportune time.
Fizzwick

Post by Fizzwick »

Yup that axe is absolutely wicked. And as a side note, if you use the Shadowkeeper's special attack and kill a target while concealed, you don't get revealed. The trick there being you have to get the kill, wounding won't do.
dstar3k

Post by dstar3k »

Aeletzio wrote:So the big green button that sais'' throw axe'' didnt tip you off at the bottom of the screen? :P
I've never used the axe, as the stats didn't look good enough to take.
Fizzwick

Post by Fizzwick »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDV445zPFs

Quick rundown of the weapons and shows the axe being thrown. Looks good and works great. Wish you could make them.
pacotaco

Post by pacotaco »

dstar3k wrote:
Aeletzio wrote:So the big green button that sais'' throw axe'' didnt tip you off at the bottom of the screen? :P
I've never used the axe, as the stats didn't look good enough to take.
Never send an accountant to do a warrior's job
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Fizzwick wrote:And as a side note, if you use the Shadowkeeper's special attack and kill a target while concealed, you don't get revealed. The trick there being you have to get the kill, wounding won't do.
Do you mean the soldier or the squad?
The special attack will always give you concealment when you kill the target so even if you were revealed before, you'll end up concealed after. It's the only use it has in LW2 now that it's no longer an auto-hit.

If the entire squad isn't revealed, then it's new.
Fizzwick

Post by Fizzwick »

Been awhile since I tried to pull that trick. I do know the last time I did it, the soldier was concealed and didn't drop concealment. But the squad wasn't so not sure what would have happened to them. Now that I'm thinking of it more, I'm gonna have to do some more, ah, testing. For science.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Looks like it was just the regular effect of Shadowfall then. I actually find it even more useful to re-conceal you at the end of some fight (trying to finish the last enemy with shadowfall).
Fizzwick

Post by Fizzwick »

Haven't had things line up to try this with a full squad yet. But I did have a mission I sent in a 2-man to take down an enemy VIP. Sent Shinobi and Sharpshooter. Original idea was to snipe the VIP from squadsight range but the aliens were smart and had him in a location that made it impossible. My sniper had the pistol so I snuck in close and killed him with Shadowfall. No break in concealment was had. Some close squads went yellow alert but none knew where I was. Though then the AI seemed to freeze, leaving a patrol sitting on my escape route. :roll: