Some upcoming changes for 1.3 in xwynns video

LordYanaek

Some upcoming changes for 1.3 in xwynns video

Post by LordYanaek »

xwynns posted a video showing one of the new Smash and Grab missions. In addition to showing how those missions will play, a few upcoming changes can be observed from the video or the comments.
  • Demolition will now cost 5 ammo like Hail of Bullets. Much like HoB it won't change the perk much and won't make it less powerful but together with HoB and other cooldown abilities it might contribute to make the gunner (or at least the cooldwon gunner) a very static class and leave more room for other build or classes, at least on missions where you expect mobility to be important.
  • Flush will receive a boost, but what boost exactly is unknown.
  • Sapper will have +1 environmental damage compared to it's current effect (which should destroy medium resistance cover 100% rather than 80%). I doubt it will make it great but we'll see. I think it should destroy cover in an area (smaller to Combat Engineer but bigger than 1 tile) to become a good perk but now it might at least be an alternative to a demolition gunner when you need mobility.
  • Snap Shot will only apply the penalty if you actually move before shooting so a snapshooter will only be slightly worse than a DfA sniper when they don't move, with the ability to move and shoot if needed. Nice boost.
  • It looks like Conceal is confirmed as a MSgt perk. How this will change the Shinobi's and Sharpshooter's trees is unknown. I still think it's a bad idea because it won't solve the abuses associated with conceal, just delay them, and it might cause other issues with two classes trees (no matter what sharpshooter MSgt perk will come early in the tree we'll now be able to combine Alpha Mike Foxtrot and Serial or Double Tap) but we'll see how it plays. As a MSgt perk i hope it becomes a cooldown perk.
Now, of course the question everyone want answered is, when will 1.3 be ....
Blammm
My Rookie!
stefan3iii

Re: Some upcoming changes for 1.3 in xwynns video

Post by stefan3iii »

I think with that buff to Snap Shot, I would take it on a sniper I intended to take on timed missions. For non-timer missions I think DFA would still be better.
xmd1997

Post by xmd1997 »

According to XWYNN in response to a similar comment question on that video, the patch still has a ways to go before its prepared to deploy so its going to be a while. :(
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Also noticed this comment :
the mission schedules with very few but very large pods have been leveled out so it's easier to fight them and harder to sneak past them
Looks like we'll have more smaller pods in "stealth" based missions which could force some action in those same missions and make 5-6 men squads more useful in guerilla ops. That's probably a good thing but are they still "stealth" missions if you can't conceal back after a fight? Apparently other changes will be made so we'll have to see how they play once it's released.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

In one of his recent campaign videos, he also mentioned that Hit and Run was different in 1.3 (although didn't go into how). That can only be an improvement though, since it's currently quite inferior to the other choices at that tier.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Maybe it will return to the LW1 version, that would definitely make it much stronger.

However Hit and Run isn't really a bad perk on itself. It's awkwardly placed on the Assault tree and in competition with the (better) alternative for shotgun users and a very useful Rapid Fire for rifle builds.
Imagine it somewhere in the Marksman Sharpshooter tree and it would probably have been way more useful with Snapshot and Hunter's Instinct combined with higher base damage and crit for the sniper rifle (compared to the Assault Rifle as the Shotgun isn't suited to Hit and Run anyway) as well as some limited squadsight to get that flanking shot more easily or on some Shinobi tree to combine with Lone Wolf (as you're operating to the sides of the squad) and (again) Hunter's Instinct and suddenly you have a soldier that can easily take a very advantageous flanking shot standing in the open before moving back to cover.
MacroNova

Post by MacroNova »

If they wanted to stop Hail of Bullets and Demolition from being such total auto-picks, they should have buffed their competitors instead of nerfing a good fun perk that people like.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

MacroNova wrote:If they wanted to stop Hail of Bullets and Demolition from being such total auto-picks, they should have buffed their competitors instead of nerfing a good fun perk that people like.
It's not even a real nerf for the gunner. It's a nerf for those who got those from the AWC.
I agree that a better way to handle those would be to put them in competition with better perks but rather than buffing the competitors and making the gunner even stronger, i think they should just change the trees to put more of the powerful cooldown perks in competition with each other. HoB and Demolition would be pretty nicely balanced against each other. Both basically guarantee a kill however HoB only requires one shot but can't deal more damage than one shot while demolition only opens the kill for other troopers (so requires at least two shots) but allows for more damage if you actually need more than one shot to get that kill so the choice isn't obvious.

As it is there isn't any real nerf but at least the cooldown gunner as a whole is affected with reduced mobility due to regular reloads which should make it ill suited to missions requiring quick movement. This makes sense (try to run around with such a heavy gun) and makes them a very powerful but specialized build, which is better than an all-powerful one.
ndessell

Post by ndessell »

LordYanaek wrote:
  • Snap Shot will only apply the penalty if you actually move before shooting so a snapshooter will only be slightly worse than a DfA sniper when they don't move, with the ability to move and shoot if needed. Nice boost.
Where was this mentioned. I know there was talk about making changes, but nothing concrete. At least not from Xavier
Jadiel

Post by Jadiel »

ndessell wrote:
LordYanaek wrote:
Where was this mentioned. I know there was talk about making changes, but nothing concrete. At least not from Xavier
If you watch the 1.3 video, you can see the attack icon changing from the standard yellow sniper rifle attack to a blue snapshot one after the sharpshooter moves. Later in the video you can see him taking squadsight shots with only modest aim penalties (when not moving), just like a Rapid Targeting (or SQ) sniper gets in 1.2.