Base Will is capped at 100 - intended?

LeaderEnemyBoss

Base Will is capped at 100 - intended?

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of tweaking some psi abilities so they scale with Will for my mod and I noticed something odd.

So I know Will was capped in Vanilla and apparantly this didnt change with LW2. But is that actually intended? Will is already kinda weak, and having a high Will Rookie via NCE gets devalued further if most soldiers reach around 90-100 Will in the end anyway. If I understand the math correctly, every soldier gets about 8 Will per LevelUp (Vanilla XcomClassData.ini: GlobalStatProgression=(StatType=eStat_Will,StatAmount=4,RandStatAmount=9,CapStatAmount=100)). Then depending on the class, a soldier gets a bonus amount for the first two rankups (between 6 and 10). This means from RankUps alone a soldier gets between 70 and 74 Will on average. Now remember that an average soldier already has 25 Will from the getgo so this amounts to about 95-99 Will. I would suggest we get rid of the 100 Will cap, so high Will rookies have at least something going for them.

I also noticed something odd for the Will stat displayed in Soldier Lists: the displayed amound in the soldier list is a bit lower than the actual Will amount (as seen in the Armory Screens) for some soldiers. I highly suspect, that the soldier list doesnt take the Bonus Will that shaken soldiers received into account.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Base Will is capped at 100 - intended?

Post by johnnylump »

I got a ton of weird behavior while trying to edit the ini line you reference, so I ultimately left it alone.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

And this doesn't include the up to 40 will you get from Espirit de Corps.
LeaderEnemyBoss

Post by LeaderEnemyBoss »

johnnylump wrote:I got a ton of weird behavior while trying to edit the ini line you reference, so I ultimately left it alone.
An alternative would be to just reduce the will gain overall so high Will rookies are able to differentiate themselves a bit better from the rest. Or lower the base will by 10-15 or so (allthough i dont know if players appreciate even more panick on low levels). I know I am probably one of the few people who even cares about Will being more useful, but hey, I can at least try ;).
Phrozehn

Post by Phrozehn »

I agree with LBE. I really like incoorating will into psi abilities. Makes for some variance in a class that doesn't really have any interesting choice beyond which ability is flat out gooder. Where with gunners I might have an interesting choice to go suppression build with a low aim/high def soldier to get an equally useful second or third option, ideal psi builds are made based on nothing but what randomly shows up and a couple prerequisites.

Couldn't the will formula be adjusted to have the same panic chances with lower will values to keep will from reaching the cap prematurely, thus allowing high will NCE chars useful, as well as giving psi some secondary benefit of a higher will progression?
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

chrisb wrote:And this doesn't include the up to 40 will you get from Espirit de Corps.
I don't think LEB is talking about the Will score being too low, it's about the fact that because a soldier with average Will ends up with close to 100 on average anyway, a soldier with above average Will (and therefore lower stats in other areas) is hitting the cap early and essentially just losing stat points by the time they reach max rank.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

Oh i know, I was pointing out that you hit that cap even faster with the officer bonus, and once your at MSGT that bonus is largely pointless since it almost completely overflows the cap. Not that your likely to actually hit 40, but pretty much all soldiers will cap out within a few missions with the same officer.
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Ah, ok - I don't think the cap applies to that, though? I think stat caps are just a thing for actually levelling up, an in-mission bonus should apply fully still, or at least it does with, for instance, Psi Power, which is also capped to 100 with level ups but still goes above that with Psi Amps (and I think even with PCS upgrades? Not sure what happens if you, say, give someone a PCS and then level them up, though - do they cap out early?).