I thought of a new nerf (EVAC)

Stroggus

I thought of a new nerf (EVAC)

Post by Stroggus »

Let EVAC zone stay for only 1-2 turns after it comes up, and then take it down and get it on cooldown. Right now it can be cheesy to throw EVAC at the start or when you blow up concealment. And it actually reduces turns until EVAC arrives for your next throws (or am I just crazy? I can swear it reduced it).

So from the "oh shit, evac, evac. WE NEED EMERGENCY EVAC, NOW DAMMIT, NOW". You just pop it up at the start of fight and then if things go wrong you are just like "Later, suckas" and bail out for free.

And it will make more sense. Like Firebrand gets in, picks up people and gets out before alien interceptors/aa could do anything. Because right now she gets her soda and snacks and watch live show from above for the eternity.

So less cheese, more thoughtful decisions. And it will make officer perk for faster EVAC more viable (come on, nobody uses it really against better infiltration).
Last edited by Stroggus on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Autoclave

Re: I thought of a new nerf (EVAC)

Post by Autoclave »

So you propose that developers waste their precious time on something mundane as EVAC mechanics? I think enough focus was put on it already.
Stroggus

Post by Stroggus »

Autoclave wrote:So you propose that developers waste their precious time on something mundane as EVAC mechanics? I think enough focus was put on it already.
Thats up to them to decide, not you and not me. I just shared an idea that I think is good enough and will bring something to the gameplay. I wouldn`t call EVAC "mundane". It is important aspect of the game and can be improved even more.
azarga

Post by azarga »

Rookies also should roll on a chance to accidentally fall from the rope and die instantly. Because they are rookies.

Also EVAC should cost 2 actions. Both flare and rope.

And have a scatter too.
bountygiver

Post by bountygiver »

azarga wrote:Rookies also should roll on a chance to accidentally fall from the rope and die instantly. Because they are rookies.

Also EVAC should cost 2 actions. Both flare and rope.

And have a scatter too.
also firebrand may get shot by advent, killing your entire squad and preventing you from launching future missions.
chrisb
Pavonis Dev

Post by chrisb »

lynx54321 wrote:
Autoclave wrote:So you propose that developers waste their precious time on something mundane as EVAC mechanics? I think enough focus was put on it already.
Fucking dickhead, absolutely no need for that.
No need for that either.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Please observe the forum rules and be nice. We'll be the judge of which ideas we are able to spend time on, so no need to police others posts in that manner.
Content Consumer

Post by Content Consumer »

One of the things I found myself doing:
Sending a 9-man squad on a mission with an evac. Any mission.
After clearing it out and setting the evac point, I'd park my entire squad on the evac point and put them in overwatch as reinforcements would drop in.
Generally speaking, I'd kill off entire pods as they'd drop in for at least two or three drops, finishing off stragglers with shots on XCOM's turn, reloading and overwatching as necessary.
I'd rack up large numbers of kills that way, and experience. After a while I felt like it was really cheating... and it is, I feel.

Having your squad out in the open should be a bad move, tactically. But it isn't, because dropping reinforcements don't get to do anything but scramble for cover. With few exceptions (snakes, mecs that don't scramble, etc) high-aim overwatch squads mop them up with no problems. By the time enemies get to the point where I can't fight them all off, I can just evac out because evaccing is a free move.

Anyway, I wouldn't be averse to nerfing evac... somehow.
I don't think making evac take an action would be a good idea, because that would be bad for everyone except those using this ?strategy? Changing reinforcement composition has the same problem, I feel.
The idea of canceling an evac zone after a couple of turns isn't a bad one. That would stop experience farmers (me) from essentially cheating, and wouldn't go against the general theme of the game. Maybe Firebrand can only sit still for so long before having to evade attacking gunships or something.
Might be a little punishing on low-infiltration missions, i.e. ones with large evac timers, though...

EDIT: Giving ADVENT a free shot (I believe they're called "yellow moves?") after they scamper would be a good idea instead, maybe. Overwatch would still kill off most of them, but if I knew even one or two were likely to get a free shot against an exposed soldier, I'd be much more likely to avoid using this tactic. And that makes sense thematically too - if they're dropping in, they would reasonably be on alert and ready to fire the instant they hit the ground.
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

Content Consumer wrote:Giving ADVENT a free shot (I believe they're called "yellow moves?") after they scamper would be a good idea instead, maybe. Overwatch would still kill off most of them, but if I knew even one or two were likely to get a free shot against an exposed soldier, I'd be much more likely to avoid using this tactic. And that makes sense thematically too - if they're dropping in, they would reasonably be on alert and ready to fire the instant they hit the ground.
This makes all reinforcements deadlier. You don't know where they are dropping (except on Rookie) and they can easily drop into a flank position and murder multiple soldiers instantly during regular gameplay. Kill farming is already nerfed by virtue of each kill being worth about 1/6th the value of just completing the mission. Also reinforcements don't drop loot.
Jeckhyl

Post by Jeckhyl »

Concerning Evac it would be nice if our soldiers didn't shout "evac ! omg we need evac NOW !" when the map is totally cleared and soldiers are allowed to smoke.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Jeckhyl wrote:Concerning Evac it would be nice if our soldiers didn't shout "evac ! omg we need evac NOW !" when the map is totally cleared and soldiers are allowed to smoke.
That's just a remnant from vanilla XCOM2 where you never called the evac under normal circunstances.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

Narratively, you're still in distress, because the bulk of ADVENTs force is headed your way. Even if there's no imminent thread on the map left. Also, nobody can expect pavonis to root thrugh the voicepak files and root out those not fitting into every situation...