Advice

Jackal

Re: Advice

Post by Jackal »

LordYanaek wrote:Intel job in liberated missions is only useful to provide actual Intel and detect an incoming invasion. Unfortunately the incoming invasion might actually never happen and those rebels on Intel are not gathering supplies so you're actually not gathering supplies to maintain your ability to gather supplies which makes little sense. It makes even less sense when you consider you probably need 8-10 rebels on intel to have a good chance to detect that invasion (it will be worse in 1.3 with 0% missions being harder : that mission is a supply raid BTW).

So yeah, it's not very useful unless maybe if you want to create a "border defense" region to intercept invasions and you have more liberated regions adjacent to that one.

As for recruit, it depends how many people you already have. When i have less than 13 i usually try to run some recruit until i reach 13 for max supplies. When i'm at max count i usually don't as there is always a risk you'll get some faceless but in my finished campaign i managed to get a scientist and engineer from one liberated region and it was great help.
Thanks LY!

Good advice. I think I only have 10 rebels, so i will hope i get a scientist before i get to 13.... do you use an engineer as the adviser as well?

Another question to you and Tuhalu:

my first region has 10 advent in it, so right now i only have it pumping out 4 supplies. As long as I don't have any more missions, will i have to worry about an invasion?

Also, since that haven is sucking up so many advent should I just leave it and start working on more havens (about to crank out Resistance coms soon) ... i was going to immediately invade it with this same (replacign the two wounded) while i have the tech advantage over advent , but now i'm not so sure...
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Jackal wrote: Good advice. I think I only have 10 rebels, so i will hope i get a scientist before i get to 13.... do you use an engineer as the adviser as well?
I tend to keep a soldier for some time to (hopefully) detect remaining faceless but then i switch to en Engineer provided i have enough of them to work on the Avenger. The added supply income is substantial. If you are not gathering supplies in any other region you can be sure you have removed every faceless once you no longer "loose supplies" on the report.
my first region has 10 advent in it, so right now i only have it pumping out 4 supplies. As long as I don't have any more missions, will i have to worry about an invasion?

Also, since that haven is sucking up so many advent should I just leave it and start working on more havens (about to crank out Resistance coms soon) ... i was going to immediately invade it with this same (replacign the two wounded) while i have the tech advantage over advent , but now i'm not so sure...
Invasions occur only in liberated regions. In non-liberated regions you can have retaliations. With only 4 rebels working you shouldn't get any retaliation or raid unless 2 of them are spies.
However, that region can be used as a base of operation to invade your liberated region as all ADVENT need is an 8 str region adjacent to a liberated one to launch an invasion. They won't do it for some time (i think it's 21 days) but after that they will most probably use that region to launch invasions with such a strength.
If you already did the network tower in the 10 str region and you have a tech advantage it might be a good move to try and liberate it. It would remove 5 points of str out of those 10 and would probably guarantee your other liberated region is safe from invasion for quite some time. The question is do you feel you can take a harder HQ assault now that you did one already? I would probably attempt it but i can't fight that one for you. Be ready for a tough mission with lots of enemies if you attempt it but if you win it, it will take time for ADVENT to recover from a quick loss of 10 str.
The alternative is to let all those troops stay there and concentrate on other regions. With 10 str you don't want to run regular missions there. You might try to run some Intel to detect troop columns and ambush them to reduce the Str but i don't think you'll be able to reduce it fast enough to make the assault easier as they will deploy stronger units as the time passes so it's probably now (if you really have a good tech advantage) or never.

It depends a lot on how many soldiers you have (can you run missions in new regions in addition to infiltrating a large squad on that HQ)? Do you have several good snipers (they can be really great on HQs)? How confident are you that you can take that HQ without too much damage?

You must contact new regions as soon as possible anyway because whether you liberate it or not, that region is now lost for regular missions and will be for quite some time (or possibly forever if they keep reinforcing it to invade your liberated region)
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

LordYanaek wrote:
It depends a lot on how many soldiers you have (can you run missions in new regions in addition to infiltrating a large squad on that HQ)? Do you have several good snipers (they can be really great on HQs)? How confident are you that you can take that HQ without too much damage?

You must contact new regions as soon as possible anyway because whether you liberate it or not, that region is now lost for regular missions and will be for quite some time (or possibly forever if they keep reinforcing it to invade your liberated region)
Hmmmm.. man, i wish it was like the old xcom where i could see the type of aliens i was going to face as well as actual numbers... I feel like I could have easily kept knocking off pods, but if more pods were out there where the danger of them opening more than a couple at a time, i could be biting off more than i can chew.

I will have to decide...

but good advise for sure.

-- J
Tuhalu

Post by Tuhalu »

If you can expand to another region adjacent to the Str10 region, you can probably lure some strength away by running a bunch of missions there. Otherwise there isn't too much to do. Try and keep at least 3 open regions for doing missions anyway (while progressing to the now revealed Black Site).
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

sigh, so i had to start over...

i guess it hadn't dawned on me that i wouldn't be able to avoid the 1.3 upgrade :( [hey, i never claimed to be a smart guy]

I just uninstalled xcom on my steam account and deleted all my saved games...

I don't know yet if i'll have to go back and re-do stuff like making ammo and grenade zero weight items...

I am really bummed but i will be doing a few things different this time i didn't realize how import it was to set up workshops in the center colum of your ship, so that's one thing i'll do differently.

oh well, wish me luck guys...
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Jackal wrote:I don't know yet if i'll have to go back and re-do stuff like making ammo and grenade zero weight items...
You'll have to redo all edits to the LW2 INIs. I keep a backup of all INIs I edit, whether in LW2 or in another mod. When a new version is released, I then compare the editted older versions to the newer uneditted versions. I then recreate the change I made, sometimes in a different way.

If you edit items to be zero weight, you might like to check out the mod "Tactical Rigging: Ammo and Grenades".
Jackal wrote:I am really bummed but i will be doing a few things different this time i didn't realize how import it was to set up workshops in the center colum of your ship, so that's one thing i'll do differently.
Here's a post I made about the Avenger Rooms in LW2 and layout. I will likely have to update it for 1.3. And I think it might need double Resistance Comms rooms.

http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 775#p32775
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

okay, so, a few questions:

1. what mods do y'all use

I want to re-add

peek from conceal
remove all items
gotcha again

any others?

also, thanks for the advice on the base build Jacke, but that does involve a mod to put the power coils in a certain place, right?
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Jackal wrote: 1. what mods do y'all use
My suggested core mods. I always use these mods, and often add another 50 or so Maps, Voice Packs, Enemies, or Customizations.

Additional Icons
Advent Flashlights
Better Debug Camera
Black Market Usage
Capnbubs accessories Pack
Evac All
Free Camera Rotation
Gotcha again
Instant Avenger Menus (you should use Sky Ranger Lift Sound Fix with this)
Instant Loot
iSky's big LW2 Name Mod
LW2 Information Display
Military Camouflage patterns
Mission Time Remaining
More Citiies
More Nations
New Passive Icons
New Target Icons
No Drop down Lists
Peek From Concealment
Perfect Information
Quick End Turn
Quick Soldier Info
Quick Soldier Info Tactical Headshots
Quicker Abilities
Remove missing Mods
Robojumpers Squad Select
Robojumpers Squad Select LW2 (requires the other one)
Shaken Scars
Show infiltration percentage in Squad Select
Show more Buffs
Tactical UI Counter
Upcoming Events in Hours
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

deaconivory wrote:
My suggested core mods. I always use these mods, and often add another 50 or so Maps, Voice Packs, Enemies, or Customizations.

Additional Icons

Upcoming Events in Hours
Wow, that's a mouthful! Thanks deaconivory!
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

deaconivory wrote:
My suggested core mods.

Black Market Usage

Shaken Scars

s
questions:

Black Market Usage...
is this the mod that allows for intel to be paid for items

Shaken Scars
there were two here, Shaken Scars (the one i think you meant) and Shaken Scars are back

and THANKS AGAIN for that extensive list, i really appreciate the time it took for you to share all those links!

this forum really is pretty awesome
fowlJ

Post by fowlJ »

Jackal wrote:
deaconivory wrote:
My suggested core mods.

Black Market Usage

Shaken Scars

s
questions:

Black Market Usage...

Shaken Scars
there were two here, Shaken Scars (the one i think you meant) and Shaken Scars are back

and THANKS AGAIN for that extensive list, i really appreciate the time it took for you to share all those links!

Black Market Usage adds a '?' icon to items in the black market that when hovered over with your mouse shows you everything that item is used for, so that you know whether it's safe to sell a bunch of them.
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Jackal wrote:
deaconivory wrote:
My suggested core mods.

Black Market Usage

Shaken Scars

s
questions:

Black Market Usage...

Shaken Scars

This is the one that allows you to sell items for Intel: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =706956593

This is the latest Shaken Scars http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =917533030
I chose this one because it was more compatible with other mods.
This is the original: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =859601422
They both work.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1774550575

This is a constant WIP so nothing is set in stone, but it can be fun finding new mods to mess around with.

Cheers!
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

fowlJ wrote:[

Black Market Usage adds a '?' icon to items in the black market that when hovered over with your mouse shows you everything that item is used for, so that you know whether it's safe to sell a bunch of them.

weird, i didn't see that one... I'll have to go look again. thx
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

do you guys play with Shen's last gift?
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Yes, but with the missions off. So I get the Sparks after the advent robotics project.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

deaconivory wrote:Yes, but with the missions off. So I get the Sparks after the advent robotics project.
one day, y'all are gonna block me for all my follow up questions... so, i just started a new game with both shen's last gift and hunters whatever but uninstalled.

does this mean i won't be able to have Sparks after the advent robotics project?
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Post by deaconivory »

Jackal wrote:
deaconivory wrote:Yes, but with the missions off. So I get the Sparks after the advent robotics project.
one day, y'all are gonna block me for all my follow up questions... so, i just started a new game with both shen's last gift and hunters whatever but uninstalled.

does this mean i won't be able to have Sparks after the advent robotics project?
There is a lot of confusion surrounding the DLCs, because there are 2 sets of check boxes, one set in the Steam application on the XCOM2 page, and one that you see when you start a new campaign.

The difference is that the boxes on the Steam page (that you can check without having XCOM2 running) determine if the DLC are installed on your computer. If you uncheck any of them they will not be installed and none of the missions or other changes will be available to you.

The boxes you see when you start a new campaign control only whether the missions will occur. If you uncheck these boxes (the ones that you see with XCOM2 running) you will still have the equipment (and in case of the Alien Rulers, the enemies) without having to run the missions.

So, if you have the DLC installed (Steam boxes checked) but the in-game boxes unchecked, you will still have the Sparks available after you do the specific Proving Ground project.

I hope that that made sense.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

deaconivory wrote: So, if you have the DLC installed (Steam boxes checked) but the in-game boxes unchecked, you will still have the Sparks available after you do the specific Proving Ground project.

I hope that that made sense.

It did.. now the big question: can i just check that box later on down line, or do you have to make the decision at the very beginning...
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

You only get the choice at the beginning of a campaign - do you want the story missions or not.

There might be a way to trigger the missions using the Dev Console during a campaign, but I will personally not risk it.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

8wayz wrote:You only get the choice at the beginning of a campaign - do you want the story missions or not.

There might be a way to trigger the missions using the Dev Console during a campaign, but I will personally not risk it.
LOL.. no, i don't want the missions, but i would like to be able to build a spark later ...
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Well, they are activated on game basis, so you could probably install the DLC afterwards and then research/ build the items and Sparks.

I would still advise to just make your decision at the start and just go with it.
Last edited by 8wayz on Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

8wayz wrote:Well, they are activated on game basis, so you could probably install the DLC afterwards and then research/ build the items and Sparks.

I would still advice to just make your decision at the start and just go with it.

Yeah, i've had such good luck with this start that I'll just have to do without Sparks later ... oh well.